Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
WildcatOne

Re: Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks, Wheelz! There will be more coming from the Southeast Gassers!

My pick for Racer of the Week is Tim Ross, from Quad Cities, Illinois. Tim helped me find another Racer of the Week a couple of months ago. He was recommended to me by our friend and former Racer of the Week, Don Cabor. Thanks, Don!

When I contacted Tim to try to find the guy I was looking for that Don had recommended, I saw that Tim has had an amazing number of first-rate hot rods over the years. His current car is a 1980 Plymouth Arrow that is set up for drag racing, and it, like all the others, is a beautiful car.

His other cars were a 1980 Chevy Monza, a 1927 Model T Roadster, a 1972 Opel GT, a 1977 Chevy Vega, a 1976 Chevy Chevette, a 1969 Chevy Nova, a 1991 Chevy Camaro, and a 1996 Chevy Cavalier. They were all completely hot rodded and set up for drag racing with gorgeous paint jobs, slicks and wheels, spoliers, hood scoops, roll cages, wheelie bars, and he raced all of them.

Tim's dad was a great drag racer, and he inherited the passion for the sport from him. Tim owns and operates Ross' Barbecue Restaurant in Coffeyville, Kansas. I looked it up and it's a 5-star establishment. Tim and his wife Tosha have 4 children and she has supported his racing endeavors all the way. Tim includes her name next to his on all his cars.

Like I said, they're all beautiful, but there's something about the Plymouth Arrow that keeps my attention. It looks right. It has the proper angle and all of the parts and pieces that make it look like a very fast race car. The car has a 406 on an e85 power glide trans. It runs a 9.70 ET at136 mph. Tim runs it in the box class. He's been racing for 18 years. Tim said its all he knows...well, he has excellent taste for sure. I look forward to hearing about his racing when he takes that car down the strip.

Tim, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Tim_Ross_Sep_10_2018_FB.jpg
Tim_Ross_Sep_10_2018_FB.jpg (601.81 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:47 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Kevin Self, from Caddo, Oklahoma. Danny White and I were discussing Kevin's many accomplishments a few weeks ago and we agreed he should be featured tonight. Thanks, Danny!

Kevin is a US Nationals champ, a Jeg's All-Star, and a Division Champ. He's as good as it gets, and he's one of the greatest Sportsman drag racers in America. He got his real start in the straight-6 Camaro that ran Super Stock in the 1980's. He has been the owner of Keith Self Racing Heads since then. His father is Glen, his uncle who is Mack and his cousin Brian Self, form Self Racing.

Kevin Self has continued his fathers impressive legacy, both on the mechanical side of things, as well as driving the family’s F/Econo Altered. Kevin said when heI was 13 years old, his dad bought him a flow bench for his birthday. Kevin's in his late 40s now, so that’s how much time he's spent doing what he does at Self Racing. Self Racing holds a patent for the Self Air Tool Muffler, which is specially designed to reduce the constant noise generated by several types of air-operated hand tools. We’d have to guess many long hours were spent hand-porting cylinder heads that helped launch that product.

Self Racing also spearheaded another patented item called the Port Intruder, which is marketed by Brodix. It’s specially designed to alleviate problems when cylinder heads are “ported to the max.” When trying to extract the maximum flow characteristics from today’s cylinder heads by aggressive porting, cracking can occur in some areas of the intake port and the cylinder head deck. The Port Intruder Kit not only helps prevent cracks from occurring, but also allows the active intake port walls to be moved, achieving an improved flow by moving the head bolt out of the way. Self Racing also holds a patent on the SE 100 intake manifold, which is manufactured by Brodix. Its unique design divides into two sections, allowing easy access for porting, as well as accessibility to the lifter valley on the block.

Kevin said CNC (computer numeric controlled) machined aftermarket heads are a great place to start because the port configurations are based on designs that have already been proven to deliver maximum air flow. Even so, there’s always some room for improvement. He said he can usually find an additional 25 to 30 cfm improvement in air flow in many CNC heads by tweaking the head on a flow bench.

"One of the advantages of CNC heads is that they all have very consistent flow characteristics. But, because they’re all the same, you don’t necessarily gain any advantage over a competitor if he buys the exact same set of heads as you. If you can’t improve the head, you’ll have to find more horsepower someplace else, otherwise you’re not going to go any faster than the next guy." CNC machining is much faster than hand grinding, and produces ports that have uniform profiles, but someone still has to develop the initial profile by hand and then prove it works on a dyno and on the track.

As for port alignment, Kevin said the runners in the intake manifold should be slightly smaller than the port opening in the cylinder head to allow for any misalignment that occurs during engine assembly.

Kevin's cousin Brian has been called the best non-CNC porter next to Lee Shepherd. Self Racing is strongly recommended if you want a top-performing engine, and Kevin's on-track accomplishments with the Stormin' Six back up that claim. Self Racing is the proven leader in this field.

Kevin, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Kevin_Self_Sep_17_2018_FB.jpg
Kevin_Self_Sep_17_2018_FB.jpg (594.88 KiB) Viewed 39 times
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Oh wow an inline six. That hits close to my heart as I love the six cylinders from today to way back when the Wayne head GMC's were top dog. Thanks John. 8) 8) 8)

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”