Tell me about your kids...

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
Doug

Postby Doug » Wed May 17, 2006 3:35 pm

You really don't want to get me going on my kid... We would be here for a while...

Long story short.. He's the best!! :D

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Wed May 17, 2006 3:47 pm

8) feel free to share anything here Doug !!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Wed May 17, 2006 5:24 pm

That's right! Let's hear about him. Mine are Jason (15) and Emily (12). Jason is a sci fi/dragon nut. Constantly building stuff out of Legos in like five seconds that seemingly could be used as sci fi movie miniatures. Not too much into cars, but almost ready to get him driving. He plays violin, but is not too into it... he's paying the price for my dropping every instrument known to man... He'll play at least through high school and then he's on his own... not bad at it actually, but needs to be pushed into practicing. He's in a high tech high school that will give him a Cisco Router certificate as well as a diploma when he graduates. My IT pals tell me that the problem with that is that there are too many places who'll want to pay him 60K out of the gate to work on routers... and he won't want college. Not a bad problem to have... gotta keep after him on those grades, though! He's a funny kid who treats folks right. Emily's passion is the Cello. Where I need to prod Jason to practice, Emily does it for fun. She's on a path to playing Cello professionally, or at least as a major lifetime hobby. She is in about three orchestras in addition to school and they are considered some of the top ones for her grade level in the area. This summer, in addition to our three week vacation to attend the draglist nats and family, she's set up for three different music camps, one at the Suzuki Strings Camp in West Virginia, one with the staff at the University of Maryland, and another sitting in on a gifted music camp with the National Philharmonic at the Strathmore Estate. I'm hoping for a full ride scholarship for Emily... keeping my fingers crossed. The music is what she does, but what she is... is a happy, wacky, fun kid who's always looking out for others to make sure they're included. As a 5'10" 12 year old, it falls on her to help out the little kids now and then when the bullies start at school... Emily's always had a least a head on the other kids in her classes ever since she was in pre school and she caught up with most of her female teachers in the fifth grade. Speaking of height, Jason's up to six feet now and is counting the day when he can kick dad's butt. Gonna be a while, I keep reminding him! Anyway, those are mine. I can go on and on as most parents can, but I really lucked out. (But there was a lot of "high volume counseling" along the way, too! :wink: ) bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Wed May 17, 2006 5:59 pm

Sounds like a couple great kids BP. They grow up fast.

We're countin' down (3 days) til Jenni gets married. :shock: She usta' B so short, ..... now she's all grown up. :shock:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Wed May 17, 2006 6:12 pm

8)

Doug

Postby Doug » Wed May 17, 2006 7:20 pm

Well, I could probably sit around and write a daily journal about mine.
His name is Brian and he's 2 years old. He'll turn 3 in September.

Before he came along, I never much cared for kids.
He provided my wife with a text book pregnancy and birth and has been changing my life on daily basis ever since.

It did take a while though. I was scared to death of him at first. Afraid of "breaking" him when I held him or something. These lil guys don't come with an operator's manual ya know?

He is a smart kid, strong as an ox too. I imagine every parent says e same tings about their kids. He seems to take an interest in everything I do. Last weekend he was helping my wife clean house. He was dusting and was very pleased with is progress and got pretty mad when we told him he was done.

He hangs out in the garage with me and absolutely loves the drag races. He is a dragter kid. He'll fool around at the track but when a dragster runs... It has his un-divided attention.

Since his first trip to the track a couple of months ago, he has been drag racing his matchbox cars. We sat down together one night and made a "drag strip" on a piece of cardboard and he plays with it every night.

We dubbed Brian International Raceway Park..... BIRP. He thanks that is funny as hell.

If it were not for him, I would probably not even own that old car.
I have always loved ot rods and drag racing but have not been involved in either for many years. Now that he is around, we have things that we can do together. We both enjoy it and I never push him.
He is already "working" on his own stuff... I'll post a pic in a little while.

When he turns 8, we'll do a Jr. Dragster if he is still interested.
Right now though, for us.. It's all about making new discoveries and finding new ways to smile. I am hoping that he'll value the things that he learns from healthy competition. That he learns that you must work to succeed and it never comes easy. That he understands that even if you don't win you can still have fun and that he can feel the satisfaction when the day comes that we do win one. That he knows what he worked for has paid off.
I want very much for him to understand what the word sportsmanship means.

Best of all though... We have a long way to go but we also have time to get there.Everything we are learning about racing and cars, we are doing it all together as Father and Son.
And THAT is what it's all about for me.

Doug

Postby Doug » Wed May 17, 2006 7:31 pm

As promised....
My wife took this for me yesterday (I am out of town at the moment). She told me that he needed to fix his John Deere with a new battery.

This kills me!!! :lol: :lol:

Notice that he had to bring in my new creeper that I bought last weekend to do the work.

Last edited by Doug on Wed May 17, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug

Postby Doug » Wed May 17, 2006 7:32 pm

Could have made that smaller... Sorry.. :shock:

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:36 pm

Very Cool posts Doug. Kids DO make life more fun don't they. :D
Last edited by pro70z28 on Wed May 17, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Wed May 17, 2006 7:42 pm

8) great posting Doug !! 8)

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”