Tell me about your kids...

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
draglist
Site Admin
Tell me about your kids...

Postby draglist » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:38 pm

OK, parents... I want to know about your kids. I know that I can't stop talking about mine, but I'm not gonna until way later in this thread (as if I haven't already done it so many other places)... So, let's hear it... this is our neighborhood bar... tell me what your kids are up to. Doesn't matter how old, young, successful, not so successful, etc. I know you love 'em just the same, so fill us in... bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Mike-Casella

Postby Mike-Casella » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:55 am

I have two children from 1st marriage and two step children from second.

My O.E.'s are;

Daughter - 29. Typical teen years misery, but grew out of it, thank God. Tried college, but didn't fair too well. Married a loser, then got smart and fixed that. Brought me a grandson 5 years ago and my life hasn't been the same since. Holds down two jobs, one for a very successful landscaper in the area, and the other as a waitress for Friendly's restaurant. Doing a GREAT job of raising the grandson Scott. Her live-in boyfriend is from Brazil, and you couldn't find a harder worker anywhere. He is very impressive, and not afraid to try anything. If my daughter inherited one thing from me, it would be her stubbornness. She will not accept a dime from the boyfriend, and supports herself and her son on her own.

Son - 26. Took a big interest in what Dad was doing, watched and learned, and asked a million questions, and is now the Crew Chief for our team. Worked as many part time jobs as he could to put himself thru college. Took the Computer Aided Drawing (CAD) course and is now working his way up the corporate ladder. Learned a very tough lesson about life at a very early age by having his girlfriend at the time give birth to a daughter, only to have the baby pass away due to problems I can't spell. It was a huge grow-up call that was for the best. To say that I am extremely proud of his accomplishments so far, is an understatement. Built and drag raced two of his own cars, stepping up each time. Did I mention that I am proud of him?

Step Daughter -

Step Son - 28? Had to struggle most of his life, but things get better every day. He is one of those people that seemed to take the wrong road at every one of life's intersections. Got married last month, and he and his new wife are expecting a child very shortly. Grew up without a father figure so I had quite a bit to do when I popped into his life. It's very very tough, almost to the point of having to be cruel at times, but we are making progress.

Well, that's my Life, so to speak, and I'm stickin to it. After all, are your children your life?
Last edited by Mike-Casella on Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:41 am

I'm off to the Seneca reunion , so, I'll have to come back to this one when i get back. I can't pass this one up BP.

Great post Mike. Sounds like great kids too. 8)
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:41 pm

I have two sons: Kyle, who will be 22 in July, and Nick (I mean Chris) who is 14 1/2. Both are rock 'n roll guitar players and devotees of death-metal. I am not offended by their interests; rather I am an interested participant. Both boys are gifted artists and their drawing ability far surpasses anything I ever dreamed of. I am totally blown away by their creativty and expressionistic way of making music. They study this music and are quite good at it, as well as being friends with the bands who make the CDs they buy. Kyle's buddies hang out here. This place is cool. I don't yell at them or start off on the offensive like their parents do. I just see kids. Not trouble. They hang out with me and kick back and laugh and joke around because they're comfortable being here. Close to a hundred kids showed up for Kyle's 21st birthday party and they stayed all night and raised hell and it was all good. I only had to take one of them's keys but I didn't get on his case about anything; I just didn't let him leave...he still comes back and hangs out. Nick's friends are not convinced that I am cool to be around, though. Some of them avoid me when they're here, and if they find me saying hi to them, they skulk and walk off without talking. I'd like to get to know them, but I do know they are always getting in trouble of one kind or another. Nick (I mean Chris) was born while me and his mom (Miss Debby) were divorced, in 1993. I know his bio-dad and although I am close with the guy's family, he has never had anything to do with us or with Nick. Nick has a half-sister who he has never met who is the same age as he is. Debby and I got back together in 1995 after being apart for 10 years, when Kyle was 10 and Nick was 2. After we remarried in 1996, I adopted Nick and he's grown up with me. He's a quiet, shy and deep guy. I told his grandmother that I thought he had inherited his grandfather's personality, but she said he has MY personality. When he was 12, his friends attacked me to him and filled his head with poisonous attitudes about me because I am not his "real" father. It had a profound effect on him, but I have been there for him every day and I've loved him all his life. He's come up from that point and although I know he will always have an issue regarding his beginnings, I have never tried to rearrange his concepts other than to continue to give him unconditional love and support. He is an expert on creepy-crawly beasties, with an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things yucky. He can charm snakes and predatory spiders. He studies them all the time. Kyle does unbelievably accurate impersonations and he can do caricatures that are incredibly realistic yet cartoonish. I always wanted to be able to do that. I remember when I held him for the first time when he was born...I put my finger to his hand and he grabbed it and held on to it...I looked at him and I said "My God...those are my hands..." My life changed from that day. It's changed many more times since, but I am thankful and blessed to have these two fine young men here with me. They've taught me more than I've taught them. I've been an extremely liberal parent and that is offset by my wife's straight-laced, sheltered and rigidly-structured background and parenting style. Sometimes the boys have played both ends against the middle and I've ended up in trouble with one side or the other. Debby has grounded 'em and they snuck over to me and got their way (a trip to the movies or a concert) because I didn't know they were being punished. Then I find out after they're there that they weren't allowed out of the house that day. That kind of stuff. Kyle is particularly good at manipulating me into his way of seeing things. Nick (I mean Chris) pretty much goes by the existing rules, but I've had to watch his activities with his friends a little closer because some of them have destructive tendencies. All things taken in as a whole, I'm very lucky, happy and enjoying them. God blessed me with them. Life is good. WC1
Here is a picture of us from Easter 2005. I've lost around 25 pounds since that picture was taken, and Nick (I mean Chris) has grown 6 inches taller...
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos? ... ity=HfjgDp
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:28 pm

Thanks for sharing the details about your great kids. You guys have surpassed my wildest dreams about this post already. Let's hear from everybody! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Novel-T

Postby Novel-T » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:00 pm

Susan and I don't have children between us,but we are a blended family of sorts.I have 5 children from my first marriage.My children's mother was involved in the restaurant business,as a result several years after our divorce an opportunity with Denny's sent them off to Alberta.Living with Susan and I summers.Boy and girl twins 34 both married,she has 3 kids,he has 2.Grand kids call us "Grandpa & Grandma far away".Daughter 31 married last summer.She is our special child, as she is hearing impaired.[I think I'd like to tell her story sometime].Son 30 he is our black sheep sort of,he does,nt stay in touch with his family much.Daughter 27,she was born years after my divorce,as a result of a fling her mother had.So I'm the only Dad she has known.She introduces us as her father and Stepmother so know one is the wiser.they are all honest,hard working',earn your own way in life"kind of people.They're Mothers and Dad are very proud.The 3 girls are very close,As the oldest said recently"We function very well in the world normally,but when we get together we seem to come off the rails"

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:09 pm

2 kids here. Jeff is the oldest @ 25. He's the career student. Took electronics/electrical wiring, but when he finished there were no available jobs. So, he's back @ school taking computer courses. Hoping something opens up in one or the other fields. Works @ WalMart in the meantime and helps me with the sign business on days off. Lives at home, but he's got the itch to get out on his own, so my sign help might be coming to an end.

Jenni 22 was the challenge. She dated a guy for awhile that was(let just say he wasn't my favorite kind of guy). We told her she was of age, ... it's her decision, but if you make X,Y & Z choices, you can expect X,Y & Z consequences. I've got to hand it to her. She made some tough choices, (dumped the jerk) met a guy that treats her like the princess her mother and I always told her she was (she just needed to hear it from somebody other than mom & dad). Her Mother & I are very proud to say 3 weeks from today (may 20th) she's getting married to the guy that treats her like a princess. We're very proud of them both, (all 3 of them now). They're makin' better decisions than I ever did at that age. Dunno how i survived back then, but that's another story...... :oops: :oops: :oops:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Barb

Postby Barb » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:02 am

LMAO .. I have the best kind .. other peoples. That way I can take em when I want and ship em back when I'm tired of em. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:38 am

One Child (woman now)
Always focused on a career in show business. (since 6-7 years old)
I'm proud to say she has achieved most of those goals,including broadway. She married a great,talented musician.
They work very hard, side by side. I am. again a proud Dad.
www.wallybell.com

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:47 am

just 2 nephews... good school baseball players now.. hope to think i helped early on playing catch and such when they were little and i saw them every weekend.. they honed some good basketball skills in my driveway also.. niether seem to have an intrest in cars. Matthew and Aaron. good kids concidering their parents troubles..

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”