The Carpenters

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
Bob Kraemer
The Carpenters

Postby Bob Kraemer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:04 pm

Back in the day it wasn't cool to like the Carpenters, but I always did.
Dam, could Karen sing or what?
Here is a couple of there songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KRT0bJB ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmbT5XC-q0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:54 am

"Close To You" was my all-time favorite Carpenters song...it was a pop masterpiece...but Karen's voice was what grabbed me the whole length of her beautiful career and life. She spoke to my soul. They were the finest musicians of their time. You didn't just walk in and start playing Burt Bacharach songs with Herb Alpert if you were a garage band with 3 chords and a cloud of dust (but that had its place as well). I was influenced by their style (and Bread with David Gates, Dennis Yost and others in the "Lite Rock" genre) and that fact by itself changed the course of my journey in music. Back then, when they hit the big time, everyobody I knew was trying to be Elton John or The Grateful Dead. The Carpenters set the standard for sophistication in popular music with Karen's star power combined with Richard's virtuosity. Nobody has come along since to take their place. That's a shame; it was great. Thanks for the post, Bob! Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:01 am

Karen..Angelic Voice ......
www.wallybell.com

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:28 am

I had a Carpenters 8 track tape I played in the '56 all the time. I didn't have allot of extra cash so my 8 track collection wasn't too big. Most of the disposable income went directly to the go fast account. :D
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:04 pm

I liked 'em. You can still sing along with those songs. They are not dated at all. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Komodo

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:41 am

Classic vocals - Karen had something in her voice that was utterly soothing.
Shame she passed so soon, especially under circumstances that might have been more easily prevented today.
[b][size=75]"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee[/size][/b]

[] [] 龍神 [] []

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Tue May 05, 2009 11:00 pm

I'll admit straight out that I was in love with Karen Carpenter. It broke my heart when she died...the Carpenters were a group that comes along once in a lifetime. In my world, they were up there with the rest of the classic bands, except there was one big difference. They were professional musicians of the highest caliber...pop stardom notwithstanding, they were musical peers of Burt Bacharach, Herb Alpert, Jimmy Webb, Henry Mancini and Dave Brubeck. For 15 years they were a major influence on my compositional and arranging style. There are a number of truly gifted musicians in pop music, but the ones I was familiar with are my age or older now. Edgar Winter, Todd Rundgren, John Hall, Donald Fagen, Don Henley, Lindsey Buckingham, I could fill a page with names...Cold Play can play. BP's nephew plays in a great band, Tickle Me Pink. But the Carpenters defined class and style in a way no other group ever came close to, in my opinion...they were about the music when it was all said and done, and they played the instruments on their records, too. Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:00 am

Being the proud owner of a mountain grey custom '03 Thunderbird roadster, I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that Richard Carpenter is a fan, owner and avid collector of T-Birds (and many, many other fine muscle cars as well)... Richard is a true car buff-- He's the real deal... Richard also has a special affection for vintage Chrysler cars... And of course we're all well aware that the recordings that Richard and his late sister Karen crafted as the musical duo known as THE CARPENTERS will remain as "soft-rock" classics for years to come... It's a tragic shame that Karen allowed herself to succumb to the "show biz pressure" that eventually lead to her dying of anorexia-- Not only was Karen an incredibly talented vocalist, but in my opinion, she also stands as being one of the most gifted female drummers of her genre-- I've always admired Karen Carpenter for her subtle, yet spectacular singing ability AND her often overlooked percussionist prowess... Minus her unfortunate anorexic affliction, Karen Carpenter is a role model for lots of women who are musically inclined... Many music fans the world over miss her... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

bandit

Postby bandit » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:08 pm

I think we need pics Doc!
Nano!!

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 am

Bandit, I believe that I learned of Richard Carpenter's massive muscle car collection from a piece I watched on the SpeedChannel network, back a couple of years ago, when Drag Racing Underground and I were doing some work for them... It was a TV segment that showed many of the precious rides in Richard's collection, and the program did a brief backround including information about THE CARPENTERS... I thought that possibly the fact that Richard Carpenter is a serious car collector was somehow common knowledge, but I guess not-- And I guess with the "soft rock" status that THE CARPENTERS created, most folks wouldn't necessarily think of Richard as a being a hardcore muscle car enthusiast... But I assure you that Richard definitely is into fine automotive machinery... One thing is for sure, obviously Richard did very well by penning and performing the music of THE CARPENTERS (he probably owns the publishing rights to their music), because from what I've seen, his car collection is worth a fortune... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”