Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
WildcatOne
Re: Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks for the link, Wheelz! It's great having guys like Skot with us. I agree about the reminiscing, it's something that is a part of our lives that cannot be replaced by a 10,000 horsepower, 330+ mph funny car. I'll take Old School any day! Best, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:31 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Audrey Worm, from Grantville, Pennsylvania. I found Audrey on Facebook from having seen that we have mutual friends.

Audrey started driving a Slingshot front engine dragster that her dad built when she was 16 years old. She drove the car for 7 years. Her best time was in the low 8s at over 165mph. Audrey and her Dad traveled to nostalgia events all over the US with her favorite event being Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion. In 2013, she went to the semi finals at that hot rod reunion. The FED was powered by a 351 Windsor motor and a powerglide tranny. Also, in 2013 Audrey was the back up girl for world champion Bruce Larson in his tribute USA-1 Camaro that her father built for 13 races. One of the most memorable events they went to with Bruce Larson was the US Nationals @ Indianapolis in 2013.

Audrey said "Nothing can prepare you for the moment you walk under the arch at Indy's Big Go! The greatest drag race in the nation! To be there with my dad and experience that will be something I'll remember forever."

In 2015 I she was named Drag Illustrated's 30 under 30, as one of the most influential people in drag racing under 30 years old. Not only was Audrey in the top 30, but she was told that she was the number one nominated person with the most votes by a landslide, by the editor of the magazine Wes Buck out of 5,000 nominees. Talk about a high, Brittany Force and Leah Pritchett were among the nominees.

Audrey also talked about her Future:

Last month, she did license runs in the Leverich Family Top Fuel Dragster owned by Gary and Bob Leverich, at Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga, Ontario. She said: "That was a thrill that I waited my whole life for. The power, the vibrations, and the G's you feel is unbelievable, you just can't describe it to anyone. My favorite part is the burnouts. Having what seems to be unlimited power is quite an adrenaline rush when you hit the throttle."

For 2017, Audrey's going to compete at select NHRA Mello Yello events in the Leverich Top Fuel Car. Her plan is to be in competition for the Road to the future Rookie of the year award. Audrey said "I could not have gotten to where I am and my exciting future without the help of my parents, brother and other family members, my boyfriend Aaron Grant, and my supportive friends. Also I'd like to thank Gary and Bob Leverich and the Leverich Racing crew for making my dreams a reality!"

At PRI in a few weeks this team will be announcing some sponsorships and which races they plan to compete in, so stay tuned. In the mean time, go to Audreyworm.com or to her Facebook page, Audrey Worm Racing.

Audrey says "Thanks again for this honor & I can't wait to hear it on Monday!"

Audrey, if you're listening right now, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Audrey_Worm_Nov_14_2016_FB.jpg
Audrey_Worm_Nov_14_2016_FB.jpg (454.65KiB)Viewed 3103 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:41 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Bobby Knighton, from Houston, Texas.
Back in September, the band played at the annual Hot Rod Picnic at Carbide Park in LaMarque. There were 68 cars there, all classic hot rods, as it's something all hot rodders in this area are looking forward to. While we were playing, I noticed a gent who came up to a table near the band and sat there all the way through our concert.

When we were finished, he came up to me, introduced himself and gave me his card. He said he's Bobby Knighton; that's his '40 Ford street rod over there, and he thanked me for doing Racer of the Week and for being a part of the Racin' & Rockin' show.

He was just just as nice and pleasant of a guy I'd ever met. We hung out for a while and talked hot rods, and he told me he has a shop down in Southeast Houston and told me I'd be welcome any time to drop in and hang out. He had to leave as his son let him know they were heading home, but I didn't forget meeting this nice man who knew who I was but I had never seen him before in my life.

When I got home I looked him up on the internet, and to my astonishment I learned that Bobby Knighton was a 7-time AHRA World Champion, from 1961 through 1968! He brought his B/A '32 Ford 5-window coupe named "Moto-Reco" after his business of reconditioning engines, to the major AHRA events in those years. It was powered by a supercharged small-block Chevy engine that he had built himself in his shop. I was extremely impressed by the car and his team, who wore uniforms, and they had matching colors on the tow truck and the race car. They were a totally together group of guys. Finding out how dominant Bobby's team and car were in those days inspired me to feature him tonight.

I talked to Bobby on the phone about his feature as he doesn't have internet access, but he invited me over to the shop and he told me the prints I sent to him of the poster I made for him have totally blown up with his family and friends, and he said everybody wants a copy! He put his daughter on the phone to me and I got her email address and after we talked, I emailed the graphic file to her. In the email I also included the links to the front pages of DragList and Drag Racers Reunion, where his graphic is posted for this week.

Bobby said he has 8 cars at this time, all hot rods, and he built every one of them. I can't wait to see his shop and these great cars that this humble man put together.

Bobby, your feature is 50 years late, but here it is, and I know that although I have only scratched the surface of your amazing accomplishments as a drag racer and hot rodder, I hope that this feature gives you the recognition you certainly deserve. Folks, Bobby Knighton is truly one of our heroes.

Hope everybody has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Attachments
Bobby_Knighton_Nov_21_2016_FB.jpg
Bobby_Knighton_Nov_21_2016_FB.jpg (454.01KiB)Viewed 3079 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:39 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Cory Ream, from Narvon, Pennsylvania. Cory was recommended to our
associate producer Barb Santucci by his aunt, Jackie Fricke. Cory is an oustanding young man who I
believe is destined for a great life and career in our sport.

Some details of Cory are as follows:
He started racing when he was 10 (2012). In 2013, he won Beaver Blast race at Beaver Springs.

Cory is the 2016 Division 1 Junior Dragster Champion in the 12-13 Bracket.

His car is a 2006 motivational tubing chassis; the engine is a 2016 ryno that his Dad built.

Cory sends thanks to Road Runner race fuels, accelerated travel, and to his mom and dad for supporting him.
He has runnered up a couple of times and Cory said he would like to turn them into wins in 2017 and attain a
major sponsorship.

Cory also plays on an AAU Basketball team and also for his school team.

Folks, this is a great kid, and I know his parents are proud of what he has accomplished. As we all know, many
of our pro champions started out in Junior Dragster, and Cory is on a winning path to the future.

Cory, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow evening at 7 PM Eastern on Racers Reunion Radio for Racing Through History.
It's Thee Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss! Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
Cory_Ream_Nov_28_2016_FB.jpg
Cory_Ream_Nov_28_2016_FB.jpg (554.09KiB)Viewed 3057 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:41 pm

My pick for Racers of the Week are Karri Anne and Matt Beebe, from Westland, Michigan. Beebe Motorsports was recommended to me by our friend and former Racer of the Week, Don Turner. Thanks, Don!

First off, Karri is one of the best drivers in Drag Racing. In the Drag Radial category, she's the fastest woman in the country. She has consistently driven the Beebe Motorsports '68 Chevelle Outlaw Limited Street Racer to several victories in several series and in several states. It was with the DADs Street Outlaw group that Karri's performance has been brought to my attention, with the DADs home track being Quaker City Motorsports Park in Salem, Ohio. Don Turner told me that Karri is known to ride a wheelie out all the way down the track. Karri started driving in 2006, when her husband Matt gave the seat to her and he took over as crew chief for the car. He has tuned Karri's ride to all of her victories.

The motor is a 632 CID Holbrook Engine, with Diamond Pistons, an LSM Cam, 14 degree Big Cheif Heads, it has an aluminum block with a VED custom intake, F.A.S.T. Fuel Injection, and it has a Speedtech Nitrous system.

The transmision is a Rossler 2 speed turbo 400 with an Ultimate Torq converter. The Rear End is a Mossier Fab 9 running a 3.90 gear.

The chassis was built by Beebe Motorsports. It's a 25.5 chassis certification with a Chromoly Cage.

The car has a stock-style rear sustpension. It uses Menscer Motorsports Shocks and TRZ tubular front control arms.

The Chevelle runs on Mickey Thompson 315 PRO Drag radial tires.

Karri's Fastest 1/8 mile ET is a 4.72. Her Fastest 1/8 mile MPH is 149. Her Fastest 60 ft time is a 1.13.

The crew consists of Karri’s Husband Matt, Bill Barnes, Doug Wiseman, Eric Stratton and Andrew Barnes.

Karri's notable accomplishments: are she was the 2013 Milan Dragway Drag Radial Champion, the 2011 Milan Dragway Outlaw Limited Street Champion, the 2010 Pinks All Out Norwalk Champion, and a Finish in the top10 2008 Hot Rod Pump Gas Drags.

Karri and Matt send Special thanks to Terry Ferring, Holbrook Racing Engines, Team Z Motorsports, Kevin Neal Performance, NTG Enterprise, Saldana’s Speed Shop, and Greg Powrie.

I found out today that the Beebes are building a street-legal twin to this hot rod. That will be awesome!

Karri and Matt Beebe, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Matt_Beebe_Dec_12_2016_FB.jpg
Matt_Beebe_Dec_12_2016_FB.jpg (616.28KiB)Viewed 3004 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:50 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week to close out 2016 is Ryancie Sakamoto, a 13 year old Junior Dragster Driver from Lawai, Kauai, Hawaii. Ryancie was recommended to me by our friend and admin of the great 808_FUEL page, Michael Baba Balbarino, following Ryancie's sister T'Ryane's feature recently. Thanks, Michael, and Mele Kalikimaka.

Ryancie Sakamoto is in the 8th grade at Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School and she is an honor student. She started Jr. drag racing at the age of 11. Ryancie started as pit crew for her brother and sister and enjoyed travelling with them to Maui and supporting them as they raced there, but did not have the interest to race a Jr. Dragster of her own. However, after watching her siblings race and observing the fun and excitement they were having, she decided to give it a try and she fell in love with the sport!!

Ryancie won her first Wally this past September and was the 2016 Jr. Dragster Challenge Champion. She has also won several 1st place trophies amongst other awards and has been recognized for Academic Excellence numerous times during these past two years that she's been racing.
Ryancie’s Dad Ryan was a drag racer himself and that is definitely how she got racing in her blood. Ryan is the crew chief of the entire operation….he is responsible for getting all 3 of the Sakamoto kids' Jr. dragster’s ready for race days. Ryancie’s older sister T’Ryane, who is 15, was featured as Racer of the Week earlier this year. Her brother Ryant, 11 also Jr. drag races and does well. Racing has bonded the family even closer and they all look forward to race weekends.

Ryancie thanks God all the time for being the real provider of allowing her to enjoy this amazing sport and keeping her safe. She also thanks her parents Ryan and Tracie along with the amazing Sakamoto Racing pit crew: Aunty Tammy, Uncle Ronnie, Uncle Keith, Josh & Rysan .

Ryancie also thanks Michael Balbarino of 808 Fuels for recommending her and John Bockelman of JB’s picks/Draglist.com for doing his work on the racers' behalf.

Ryancie, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!

I'd like to wish the Sakamoto family and our brothers and sisters in Hawaii and all over the world a safe and happy Christmas and Holiday Season! We look forward to another great year with y'all. Rock on.
Attachments
Ryancie_Sakamoto_Dec_19_2016_FB.jpg
Ryancie_Sakamoto_Dec_19_2016_FB.jpg (494.22KiB)Viewed 2639 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 am

My pick for Racer of the Week to kick off 2017 is Tom Valenta, from Hendersonville, North Carolina. I found Tom online a couple of months ago and I was extremely impressed with his artistry in the field of motorsports modeling.

I had a chat with Tom last week and he told me about his hobby and the challenges he's taken on over the many years he's been doing this in replicating full-size cars at a small scale. Tom is a photographer for Model Car Magazine, and he travels all over the Eastern, Northern and Southern parts of the country every month to enter his work and photograph the entries in the events that take place year-round.

He has accumulated many awards for his efforts, and a look at his Facebook Page backs up that statement. The detail and finesse he applies to these models made it hard for me to tell that these are models and not full-size cars. It is incredibly well done.

As with many racers who build model cars as an expression and an extension of their skills, Tom is a drag racer. He ran a 9-second '71 Nova up until a few years ago, and he told me when he retires next year, he plans to go racing again. But for now, he's focused on his career, his family and his passion for modeling. Whenever weather permits, he and his wife take cruises together on their motorcycles, and I could tell from talking with him that his priorities are in order and he has a very clear plan in life.

These models that he built spoke to me about Tom's perspectives on racing, customizing and building cars. As our friend Rich Panicaro can attest, each model makes a very precise statement. I built model hot rods for several years, but when I was doing it, the parts that are available now on a worldwide market weren't available. Tom told me that he obtains a lot of his parts online from suppliers in Europe and Australia. He uses automotive paint as well to produce realism with his models.

Tom, your model car work is outstanding. When you build your next hot rod, we'll feature you again as a Racer of the Week. We wish you good luck, safe racing, great modeling, and the best of times in the future.
Attachments
Tom_Valenta_Jan_09_2017_FB.jpg
Tom_Valenta_Jan_09_2017_FB.jpg (1.48MiB)Viewed 1196 times
Last edited by WildcatOne on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:13 am

Oh wow!!!! He has some very special models. I liked the 66 Chevelle wagon with the inline six and the Honda Under Glass but I know you were drooling over the VW Beetle. Thanks John and Tom. Just amazing. :D :D :D

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Agree, Wheelz...Tom has a very special talent! He's a great guy, too. It was a real treat to work with him on fixing up a Racer of the Week feature! Best, WC1
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:28 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Rich Moore, from Sarver, Pennsylvania. Rich was recommended to me by our friend and former Racer of the Week, Don Turner. Thanks, Don!

I chatted with Rich last week and he sent some great information to me about his 1984 Ford Ranger, which I consider to be the ultimate sleeper. Here is what Rich told me about this awesome hot rod:

"I drag race and drive the 1984 Ranger. It is street legal. I built it in 1995 when I was 29. I paid $300 for it because a deer hit it. It has an A460 Ford racing block and heads, bumped to a 547 cubic incher. I hit it with a 300 shot of nitrous through a plate under the single dominator 1250 Holley, to go a best ET of 8.47 at 161mph. The truck has gone mid-8s, give or take a tenth for many years. It uses an MSD Grid for timing control, a Coan Glide Trans hooked to a 9" Ford F150 rear taken from junkyard with a 3.70 gear. It has Strange Pumpkin and 35 spline Moser axles. The hood and fenders are a tilt front end deal. The Interior is mostly OEM, It has a stock dash and door panels with an 8.50 cage and racing bucket seats and harnesses. It takes alot of money to look this cheap!!" Rich said since the car is street legal and races in the DADs street car shootout, he occasionally drives it to work.

I thought it was amazing that a Ford Ranger pickup can be driven almost daily and still runs mid-8 second passes at over 160 mph!

Rich also has two outstanding Mustang street cars as well:
The black blown Mustang is a 2000 model with a 460/bumped up to 514 and 8-71 Dyers blower, 2 750 Holleys and a 6 speed manual trans. It has power seats, power windows, it's a factory uncut car, also with an 8.50 cage, built to drive.

The Gold-Glow Mustang is a 1972 Mach 1, all original with 40k miles semi restored. It's an unmolested car. It has a 351 CJ, 4 speed, air conditioning, a fold down back seat, and a front half vinyl roof. Rich and his wife took it on Hot Rod Magazine's Power Tour.

Rich is one of the most popular and successful racers in the DADs Streetcar Shootout, he was very helpful to me in putting his feature together, and we wish you good luck, safe racing that the best of times in the future, Rich.
Attachments
Rich_Moore_Jan_16_2017_FB.jpg
Rich_Moore_Jan_16_2017_FB.jpg (412.73KiB)Viewed 1156 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”