Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
WildcatOne
Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Postby WildcatOne » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:41 pm

I'd like to post the text files to my segment here. Could be a good read on a lazy day if anybody's interested. Best, WC1

For my pick as Racer of the Week for February 10, 2014, I have selected Paul Martson and his Drag Racing School from Chadwell Heath, Romford, Essex, England. Paul has raced in the United States, England and Europe for the last several decades. Here is a severly condensed history of Paul's adventures.

Paul Marston's early career focused on finance, quickly rising to the position of Governor of the Bank of England. His 15 year term ended in 1874 when Paul was 22 at which point the mechanic in Paul drove him to an apprenticeship with a growing firm of mechanics in Germany. His first world-acclaimed invention was the Internal Combustion Engine which debuted in the 1897 Daimler-Benz motor car.

Having secreted millions away for later life from the patents, Paul turned his hand to Politics. Having dabbled in Chinese Politics and been crowned Emperor of China in 1906, Paul decided to return to the UK and help the domestic situation.

During the First and Second World Wards, Paul was instrumental in destroying 471 Zeppelin airships with a home-made catapult and his travels inspired him to name the countries he visited 'Europe'. Paul's trusty tank was later re-painted and can now be found in the PMR pits masquerading as Grumpy's Dodge.

The early 50's were Paul's glory days, using his status as war hero and National Treasure to secure the rights to the music of many famous Bands. Elvis was his first major signing and the royalties from his music now funds the PMR team transporter.

The 70's was a bit of a blur, between causing and then ending the fuel crisis by driving and then resting his stable of drag racers, Paul started working on what was to become an 80's sensation - Duran Duran. Constructed from military grade titanium, these robots were nothing short of ground-breaking, although a little wooden in their acting on stage. The prototypes were replaced by the more feminine mkII robots which he named 'The Spice Girls' in the 90's who moved with more fluidity at the expense of reduced vocal harmony.

It was the 90's when Paul retired from serious business and started drag-racing full-time. Moving from Capri to Camaro, Paul proceeded to buy cars without selling any of the old ones. Grumpy's Dodge was next, fresh from having the gun-turret removed, followed by the PT Bruiser which was created by the American Air Force using stealth technology. The Vega appeared in early 2001, and in 2003 the Alien Altered was re-appropriated from a bunch of French Bandits in Toulouse through winning an arm-wrestle with Arnold Schwarzenegger. The Chevy Monza was won in a game of chess against former World Champion Garry Kasparov that lasted nearly 4 months, bringing the car tally to 7.

In 2004, Paul started the UK's first Drag Race Driving school and Passenger Ride school. Among his first 5 guests were Margaret Thatcher, Stephen Hawking, Bruce Forsyth, Prince Charles and Monica Lewinsky. It was about this time that the patented 'turd-proof' seat covers were invented and fitted to the Passenger Ride cars, an invention that still provides over £1.6bn of net income per year to the team.

Paul will also be trying out for the 2014 Olympic gymnastics team and on his free evenings, hopes to perfect a cure for the common cold. His progress on this front was held up by his intensive training for the 2006 Boat Race which he won with 7 amateurs, netting him an honorary degree in advanced Bio-Genetics from Oxford University.

The Monza arrived early 2005 to both compete in the National Championships and be put to work as one of the PMR Drag Race School cars. Pre-PMR, Ashley Bell ran this car successfully in Super Comp and Super Gas and before him this was the ex-Dave Mingay Hell Raiser Pro Mod.

Running down to 9.0 seconds for the 1/4 mile, The Whoopass has become a firm favorite at PMR due to it's pin-straight launch and smooth ride. The Monza currently has a 477ci Big Block Chevy engine under the hood which produces around 700hp+.

PERFORMANCE 0-60 mph 1.28 0-100 mph 5.0 1/4 mile ET 9.06 1/4 mile mph 148 Fuel Consumption 3 gallons per mile

in 2001 and 2002 we won the Brighton Speed Trial, reportedly the oldest motor race in England. In the past the likes of Don Garlits and Tony Nancy have both won it. We achieved this with the PT Bruiser, it’s a real dangerous race and was nearly stopped this year on account of a competitor being killed in 2010. The event was not run in 2011 out of respect.
In 2010 PMR introduced and organised Top Sportsman to UK Drag Racing, its run slightly different to the US version, its two races over three days. First race is kinda like the US version, it’s a fast bracket race but there are no electronics and it’s a .400 Pro Tree with a blinder. The second race is a quick 16, one shot qualifier and then heads up elims, again on a .400 Pro Tree. We were lucky enough to get a TV deal after the second year and have car counts around 30. In 2014 we will expand to two events and hope to keep the TV for both rounds. All entry money goes into the prize fund so it’s a 100% payback. Throughout all we do at PMR the most important is to have fun, there is time to be serious on the track. But for the most part, its great to go racing with our friends. We try to help promote the sport through the Drag Race School and the Top Sportsman program, to give something back.

Paul sent several links to me and I will post these videos and text files showing the performance of his stable of cars as well as the story of his 2 trips to America to participate in some drag racing events. They are great reads, but time wouldn't allow them in my segment tonight. Check out Paul Martson Racing.com/uk for the whole story. It is incredible, folks.

Paul Marston. Racer of the Week. Best wishes and good luck in the future, Paul.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow night at 7 PM Eastern on Racers Reunion Radio for Racing Through History. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss. Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
Paul_Marston_Feb_10_2014.jpg
Paul_Marston_Feb_10_2014.jpg (604.26KiB)Viewed 47031 times

draglist
Site Admin

Re: Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Postby draglist » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:07 am

Great idea, John! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:15 am

Below is the text and graphic for JB's Take, February 17th, 2014:

My pick for Racer of the Week, February 17th, 2014 is Dave Harvey from Atco, New Jersey. Dave is the leader of a family of great sportsman racers and cars with a long and successful history of racing in the Northeastern circuit. Dave was referred to me by our buddy Rich Panicaro. Thanks, Rich! Here is the information that Dave sent to me:

I have a few cars in the stable now. My 1968 Plymouth Valiant has a 360 bored and stroked 520 540 lift cam, dual plane intake, 750 carb, Edlebrock heads, 10-1 compression, Hooker headers, powerglide 4800 stall, 8 3/4 rear, 430 gears with the best run in the 10.90s. I have a 1979 Pontiac Lemans that my son races but used to be my Moms car. It has a 383 gm crate motor that goes 11.50s. My wife has a 1970 Duster with basically the same motor as I have. This is her street car. I also have a 1968 Malibu wagon that goes in the 13s which is also my daily driver. My whole family has cars too. My parents and brother each have a 1968 Camaro and my other brother a 1972 Cutlass. It is hard work but well worth it. I had a good season this year with a runner up at the bracket finals, a few wins at Atco, Maple Grove, Englishtown, Bristol, all footbraking in a few differrent cars this year. I have won a few championships along the way. Tuesday night gamblers 2013, 2011, 2007, 2005. Open comp 2013, 2012. 12.00 index 2010. pro 2005. King of the track at Atco 2013,2008, Cecil 2008 and at the bracket finals 2008. I have also been fortunate enough to win some big money footbrake races $20,000 in 2011 at Coastal Plains N.C. $10,000 at Atco in 2010 and 2009. $5000 at Cecil in 2009, at Piedmont N.C. in 2004, and at Atco in 1999. I even raced my 1995 Yamaha Virago that went 14s and won a few races going back a few years ago. That is some of the things I have accomplished over the years but not without the help of my family and friends. Thanks for recconizing me. I hope that you can maybe read this and put into your own words. I am not used to talking about myself this way and don't want to seem cocky in any way because I am not like that. Thank you for featuring me and my family. Well, Dave, I thought what you said was great, and I read it word-for-word. It's drag race talk, and thank you.

That's Dave Harvey, Racer of the Week, folks. Racin' and Rockin' sends best wishes and good luck to Dave and his family.

I noticed a big buzz on the internet about Miley Cyrus kicking off her Bangerz Tour this week. I checked it out. Looked at the pictures and read all the hype. A lot of folks are offended by her behavior, ya know. Yes, it's outrageous and blatantly, overtly sexual. It's also selling like hot cakes, isn't it. I've read comments about how it's a sad statement of our culture to a blasphemous slap against the Bible to people predicting the total ruination of Miley Cyrus and her carnival sideshow. So far, nobody's blamed Obama, but the game is still young. Well, here's my take on Miley Cyrus' Bangerz Tour and the media circus surrounding it:

SO WHAT? You want to spend your money on this stuff, fine with me. I happen to enjoy her music. Well, it's not really her music. It's the music she is performing that is given to her to learn. It's all part of a big money machine that's cashing in on this flash-in-the-pan marketing bonanza. Go for it, girl!

But mark my words. As I speak these words on this evening's show, somewhere, somebody is devising a show that will top this one and sell even more. I remember when Madonna was held up as the ultimate bad example, y'all remember that? Well now, Madonna looks Julie Andrews compared to this, and the next big thing will no doubt make this new low level of morality look tame.

It's all about the money. And people can't get enough stink. If I wasn't a pro musician...say, if I was an appliance repairman or something, I might see it all differently. I'd take it a little more personally than the way I do. I've been in it all my life and I've seen people sell out, sell in,sell up, sell down, sell their stuff, sell their momma to get to the next level. No problem. In my world, it's all about the music. It always has been and it always will be. I'm not predicting any flops in Miley's deal; why should I? I don't care! Let her do her thing, she's working hard for all of it and she'd better make the most of it while she can, because we've seen these flavor-of-the-month pop stars come and go with the seasons, or should I say semesters, of their fan base's lives and they are as disposable as the paper bags their munchie meals come in. So having said that, I also wish her the best, which she will receive in bountiful amounts for a while.

I've got my guitar rig hooked up here and I've been playing every day again. It feels good. I compiled a list of 42 originals that I intend to put together with a band soon. The benefit was kind of like a live audition for me. I performed 2 sets of 2 different kinds of music that day. Once with my band, and once with Pee Wee's band. I got a message on Facebook from a good friend of mine who was there for Johnny B and the Wildcats' opening set to kick off the event. He said he'd never seen me better than in the 45 minutes I played and sang with my old band. He said if I ever get that act on a stage somewhere to let him know and he's all over it. That input inspired me to take the time each day to keep my guitar chops up. I appreciated him telling me that and I know he wasn't just being nice because he's told me before when I sucked. So I took him seriously and I'm acting on that impulse. I found out from Kim that we have 8 songs recorded. I'd forgotten that we did some sessions a few years ago, and I listened to them and they are dead-letter perfect. We'll add 4 more songs to that and have an album. 2014 is going to be a great year. I don't know why, but I started growing my hair long. I've never really had long hair. So far it looks...different. Might end up being fun!

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow evening at 7 PM Eastern on RacersReunion Radio for Racing Through History. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss. Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
Dave_Harvey_Feb_17_2014.jpg
Dave_Harvey_Feb_17_2014.jpg (93.21KiB)Viewed 47037 times
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:18 am

Below is the text and graphic for JB's Take, February 24th, 2014:

Throughout my life, I have seen and studied hundreds, probably thousands of dragsters. To my eye, each one I've seen had attributes and features that were beautiful. A few have stood out in my memory as being particularly beautiful machines, both as being ingeniously engineered and visually pleasing at the same time.

Joaquin Arnett's Bean Bandits dragster, Mickey Thompson's Panorama City Special, The Isky Clown, Bobby Langley's Scorpion, Frank Cannon & Art Chrisman's Hustler I, The Greer, Black and Prudhomme dragster, The Hawaiian, Tommy Ivo's Barnstormer, Beebe & Mulligan's Fighting Irish dragster, Dick Kalivoda's slingshot, and into the modern era: Swamp Rat 30, Eddie Hill's Nuclear Banana, and Jimmy Nix's last dragster.

All of those cars represent a level of intelligence, engineering and sheer class that has continued to captivate and inspire my passion and involvement in the sport. I can clearly see the creativity, imagination and artistic value in these cars as well as the power and fury that they generated on the dragstrip. But one dragster stands out in my opinion that is simply the most beautiful dragster I've ever seen, and that is the Allard Chrylser Dragster in England.

I fell in love with that dragster the first second I laid eyes on it. It doesn't have so much to do with performance as it does appearance, although the engineering that Sydney Allard put into it when he designed and built the car between January and June of 1961 was state-of-the-art and the car was Europe's first purpose-built slingshot dragster. It also isn't so much the car itself as it is the man who built it. Sydney Allard was the Mickey Thompson of British motorsports and then some. From having built and marketed his own cars to building and competing with his race cars on the formula and track circuits, he decided to build this dragster and put it out there when nobody else was doing it. The early outings with the car were beset by gremlins in the drivetrain and gearbox, etc., so a good benchmark performance wasn't forthcoming at first, but the seed of drag racing in the UK had been planted by Sydney when they brought this gorgeous Chrysler-powered monster out for its shakedown runs. Sydney had the dragster dragon slingshot dragster kits available and they sold. Back then it wasn't real easy to acquire a big-block Chrysler hemi, so those cars used the availabe English Ford engines and they ran well.

The Allard Chrysler dragster was featured in Hot Rod Magazine in March of 1962. In 1963, Sydney brought Mickey Thompson and Dante Duce in to run their cars. They also participated in the Brighton Speed trials and Sydney was awarded the SEMA trophy that year by Ed Iskenderian. Sydney founded the British Drag Racing Association and served as its president, and in 1964, he organized the first British Drag Racing Festival, which featured the American guys who were drag racing full-time in their fantastic top fuelers, gassers and hot rods, and as a gross understatement, drag racing caught on like wildfire in the UK from then on. By this time, the Allard Chrysler, although being such a beautiful car, was a fifties-style dragster and the US cars were still evolving into modern styles, so it wouldn't be competitive with them on track, but like I said earlier, it wasn't so much about performance as that it stood for something in an artistic and historical context, and in the European theater of drag racing history, this car was every bit as important as Swamp Rat I.

Sydney Allard passed away in 1966 at the age of 56. The old 1961 Allard Chrysler was kept in his barn for many years before his son Alan handed it over to Allard Owners Club member Brian Golder in the 1980s. He carried out a part restoration of the rolling chassis and body, and after his death the car was bequeathed to the National Motor Museum Trust, Beaulieu. There it remained on display for many years.

Things moved on again in 2008. During research for his book for Haynes Publishing called Crazy Horses - the history of British drag racing, motoring writer and past UK drag racing commentator/chairman of the British Drag Racing and Hot Rod Association, British Drag Racing Hall of Fame Selector, Brian Taylor, became very aware of the excellent condition of the car and its importance in the sport’s history as Europe’s first dragster. Brian spearheaded the effort to acquire and restore the car to its original condition of perfection, and after founding the Allard Chrysler Action Group, the car is now brought out to shows and events, fired up and run as it was when Sydney had it.

It is the dedication and effort of Brian Taylor and the Allard Chrysler Action Group that represents the true spirit of our sport, and I have selected Brian and the group as Racer of the Week. There is far more information available about the history of this car and of British Drag Racing, everything from the original blueprints through a detailed summary of it construction, restoration and engine specs at both the Allard Chrysler Action group's website, which is
http://www.theaccelerationarchive.co.uk
and the Allard Chrysler Dragster Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/allard.dragster
The pictures as well as the words tell one of the most incredible stories of how this machine and its creator helped spark the passion of the English drag racing phenomenon that to this day is the link to a worldwide wave of high performance enthusiasts and participants.

Brian Taylor and the Allard Chrysler Action Group, from Beaulieu, Hampshire, England. JB's pick as Racers of the Week. Best wishes from us here at Racin' and Rockin' with DragList.com, and thank you for this great work you have done for us all.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow evening at 7 PM Eastern on Racers Reunion Radio for Racin' Through History. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss. Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
Allard_Dragster_Feb_24_2014a.jpg
Allard_Dragster_Feb_24_2014a.jpg (591.53KiB)Viewed 47037 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:21 pm

For my pick as Racer of the Week, March 3rd, 2014, I have selected Gage Burch, the junior dragster champion from Palmetto, Florida. Gage was recommended to our associate producer Barb Santucci by the track operator at Bradenton. Thanks Barb, and thanks to Matt and Diane Burch, Gage's parents, for their great help in putting tonight's feature together.

Gage Burch is 14 years old and is an honor roll student in the 8th grade. He plays in a baseball league in his hometown of Palmetto FL. He started racing when he was 8 yrs old and it took him 5 months to get his very first win and that happened on the same night his mom Diane got the win in the sportsman class (which is a special family memory) At 12 he had his 100th win and to date he has 129. His goal this year is to win The Eastern Conference Finals in Bristol TN where there are more than 600 juniors entered. His current car is his third junior dragster and will be his last as he will age out at 17 and then he is hoping to keep moving up in the drag racing world, where he can enter and win the Million Dollar Drag race. And when he does get there, I'm putting my chips in his corner.

Gage's wins are as follows-10 track championships in 4 years, 2 IHRA Pro Am division championships, NHRA race of champions winner, 3 NHRA division 2 runner ups, 4 index race wins at the Mike Bos/Huddleston performance race in Bristol TN, two of those included an 8.90 win and 9.90 r/up on the same day in two different cars. He has won a minimum of 20 races a year.

Gage's current car is a 2006 Halfscale Outlaw with a 3 1/4 inch Whaley Motorsports engine that runs on alcohol and goes 7.90 in the 1/8 mile at 82 mph with a best et of 7.50 @ 85 mph. He got two sponsorships this year from Royal Purple and Troy Jr's Innovative Racecraft.

His safety equipment is an Impact 5 point harness, helmet, neck brace, fire suit, gloves, arm restraints.

We're looking forward to hearing about Gage Burch in the future. With a list of wins and championships this long at such a young age, he's already one of the winningest drivers in drag racing. It will be awesome to see him out there 10 years from now. There is no limit to this young man's potential and I for one am certain that he is destined for great things to come in our sport.

Gage Burch from Palmetto, Florida. Racer of the Week for March 3rd, 2014. Best of luck to you, Matt and Diane in the future, Gage.

We played 3 nights in a row at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Barbecue Cook-off, for the third year in a row for the team called Bad Girls Gone Wild. There were over 400 teams participating in this year's event, and the Bad Girls won runner-up in the most colorful category, 13th in brisket cooking, and 38th overall. It was a fine time. There was a sea of humanity there. We had a great time. I'm taking a little vacation from eating barbecue for a few days, though. I did get to gaze fleetingly at the Astrodome, which is being disassembled for scrap now. There is a quagmire of legal and financial red tape involved with the Houston Sports Authority not being able to justify keeping what was once called the 8th wonder of the world, going back to when Bud Adams decided to move the Oilers to Tennessee and 60 million dollars was still owed on the renovations he demanded. So except for providing temporary housing for the refugees from Hurricane Katrina, it's sat empty and has been in disrepair for a long time. A landmark like this is a terrible thing to waste, but that's progress. When you get old, you'd better get out of the way or you'll get bulldozed. It made me think about all the pro drag racers who aren't racing anymore. There's hundreds of them but I did think about a certain few who were my favorites. Frank Pedregon. Eddie Hill. Joe Amato. Scott Kalitta. Gary Ormsby. Michael Brotherton. Bobby Baldwin. Jack Ostrander. Jimmy Nix. Shirley, Snake and Big Daddy. Mongoose. Mark Pawuk. Reggie Showers. Dave Schultz. Whit Bazemore. Gary Scelzi. Eric Medlen. Darrell Russell. Jim Yates. Lee Shepherd and Bob Glidden. Darrell Gwynn. Gordon Mineo. Jerry Caminito. Cory Mac. Jungle Jim. I would say Gene Snow but I won't because of his troubles. Tripp Schumake. Malcolm Durham. John Mulligan. Mike Sorokin. Marvin Schwartz. LeRoy Goldstein. Kurt Wasson. I miss Mike Dunn driving but he's turned out to be an excellent commentator. I miss Bob Frey, Dave McClelland and Jon Lundberg, though. I miss Wally Parks, Jim Tice and Larry Carrier. Like I say, there are many and they all filled up my life with their personalities and performances. Seeing the Astrodome slowly fade into a memory brought that to light with me and I thought I'd share it. That list I just said is ten times longer than what it says here, ya know.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow evening at 7 PM Eastern time for Racing Through History on Racers Reunion Radio. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss. Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
Gage_Burch_Mar_03_2014.jpg
Gage_Burch_Mar_03_2014.jpg (555.81KiB)Viewed 47019 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:02 pm

I always liked Eddie and Ercie Hill. Eddie did it all with two wheels, boats, slingshots with Twin engines and four slicks, Top Fuel in the Nuclear Banana and was still a humble man. Few could do all that and keep their head where it belongs. 8)

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:20 pm

True, Wheelz. He is one of my heros and always will be. Thanks.

I want to send out special thoughts and prayers to our loyal friend and supporter Billy Mac tonight. Billy's in the hospital down in Georgia, recovering from a stroke he had over the weekend. He's doing better, his spirits are up and he said he would be listening to the show tonight on his cell phone if he can remember how to do it, and I hope he does. We love you, Billy Mac, but you're going to have to cut it back to one case a day of DR Pepper and only half a carton of Viceroys. Actually, Billy told me today that he quit smoking so that's a big step in the right direction. Now I want to see Billy point that Mustang in the direction of the finish line soon. We're all behind you, Billy. Get well soon.

For my pick as Racers of the Week for March 10, 2014, I have selected the Bennett Racing Team from London, England. This is a racing family that goes back more than a hundred years and these folks are some of the most well-known, well-liked and respected drag racers in the UK. The Bennets were referred to me by our former Racer of the Week Andrew Carpenter of Russ Carpenter Racing. Thanks, Andrew!

Charlie "Wag" Bennett served his apprenticeship first as a rivet boy, helping to build the first iron battleships down at the Victoria and Albert dockland shipyards, then to the Canning town-based Mansfield cycle company, frame building at the brazing hearth. Charlie built his first motorcycle at these barking road premises, around the year 1907, this machine was belt driven, single speed, and solely a track racer with Bailey dropped handlebars, saddle over the rear wheel, pad on the top frame tube for the riders chest. This 2-wheel racer was fitted with a French Buchet engine, bore and stroke square at 76 x 76 centimetres, overhead push rod operated inlet and exhaust valves, with coil ignition using a dry cell battery.

He was the winner of the 3 mile & 5 mile motorcycle races at Tunbridge Wells, August 1st 1904 on a 'Kerry' motor.

He also won the TT race in 1910 at Brooklands, at an average speed of 61mph - running a 1910 two cylinderIndian 70 by 83 cubic capacity, equals 638.59 miles 870 yards. (British record). The seed of the Bennett Racing Team had been planted.

Bennett Racing patriarch Lenny Bennett was Charlie's son. He passed away recently at the age of 86. Lenny will be remembered by racers and the like from years past, as he was the Crew Chief of the Phantasm Ford Pop which we very successfully raced in the 1980s. He was a father to five, grandad to fourteen and great grandad to seven. A truly great man, very dear to his family, and he is greatly missed. Lenny loved racing with his sons and grandsons at Santa Pod and Avon Park race tracks. During the time the Bennets raced the Pop, another racer lost his life in a jet car. It was a crash which caused the whole body to fly off, almost killing a close friend of the family, had Lenny not pulled her out of the way.

Lenny's son Frank Bennett has been driving since 1981. He currently drives the Monster Energy Fiat Topolino Fuel Altered. He won the 2009 NFAA Championship, and has recorded a best ET of 6.42 at 202.71 mph. Luke Bennett drives the Monster Energy Bantam Fuel Altered. He has been driving since 1992. Luke won the 2008 Spirit of Fuel Altereds award and he also won the 2010 Iris Page memorial trophy. His best ET is a 6.901 at 191mph. In his previous ride, he ran an 11.14 at 125.26 mph. Adam Bennett is slated to drive the new car, the Wild Bunch slingshot.

The Fiat Topolino and the '32 Bantam Roadster are nearly identical in their construction and specs. Both cars sit on a 125" wheelbase, run supercharged Chevy engines on alcohol, 3-speed CO2 shifted trannys, with the Fiat running 34.5 X 17 slicks and the Bantam using 33 X 16s. The Monster Energy slingshot nostalgia dragster has a 130" wheelbase, runs a 2.1 litre Ford SOHC Pinto engine, has a Cosworth clutch shifting a 5-speed type 9 transmission that delivers the 200 hp to 12 X 30 slicks. It's a new car and has run from 0-100mph is 7 seconds in shakedown runs.

Race Support: Alan Scott Maintains clutch and Lenco transmission Joe Riley Wings, body and wheelie bars. Maintains and keeps pit area tidy and organised Torsten de Lange Driver of the Bennett Racing DRIFT Division Volvo Bottom end

Team Support: Louise Bennett Maintains Oberg oil filters Checks and packs parachutes Lisa and Amy Bennett Keep the team fed and watered! Makes sure invited guests are well looked after Rob Farley USA parts scout and sponsor hunter!

Bennett Racing is represented on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and their website is http://www.bennettracing.co.uk

These guys are the real deal, folks. Check 'em out when you have time. Bennett Racing, JB's pick as Racers of the Week. Best of luck in the future, guys.

I was reminded over the weekend that it had been 17 years since Biggie Smalls was murdered. I don't know if anybody listened to or was into his music, but I did and I was. In my opinion, Hip-Hop never got any better than the Notorius B.I.G. and Tupak Shakur, who both died around the same time, debatably by the hands of these two artist's and in parentheses, gangsters' cohorts. Biggie went first, followed soon thereafter by Tupak. The two were rivals in art, in business, and apparently in crime. What a sad waste of two monumental talents. Their music, their poetry and their life stories were as poignant and inspiring as anything I had ever seen since Jimi Hendrix and David Clayton-Thomas. Hip-Hop went downhill after Biggie and Tupak died. Now that almost 2 decades have passed, I hope that they can find peace and leave an untarnished legacy of beauty and art in a genre that is conceivably the most difficult to translate into the level of sophistication and pure classic art like they did. I just wish they could have solved their problems without guns getting involved, but that situation will exist as long as gangs do. God bless them and may they rest in peace.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow night at 7 PM Eastern for Racing Through History on Racers Reunion Radio. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss. Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
Bennett_Racing_March_10_2014.jpg
Bennett_Racing_March_10_2014.jpg (528.05KiB)Viewed 46995 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks, John. Get well soon, Billy. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 am

Billy I was thinking and I do believe you will get better if you would include a few nannerz
in your diet. Gorilli send you a bunch in big brown truck. I'll even put the big blue oval logo
on them if it will help. Get well soon buddy. :D

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:50 pm

Get well soon Billy.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”