Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
WildcatOne
Re: Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Postby WildcatOne » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:45 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Kelly Bettes from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Kelly is the driver of Jett Racing's 4-cylinder turbocharged Nissan utility pickup. She won the Jamboree at Willowbank last weekend and was runner-up at the Winternationals but for being a young lady, she has an extensive drag racing background. I hope to be able to touch on most if not all of it tonight.

Kelly Bettes grew up in an outstanding Australian drag racing family. Her parents and her brother Scott have been supportive and encouraging to her all her life. She started racing in Junior Dragster at the age of 10 and raced that class until she was 17; she's raced in the Modified Dragster for another 5 years, in her BB Chevy-powered Undercover Dragster, She managed a Quickest time of 7.40 @ 180mph. In the Modified Bracket Kelly has won an Australian Championship, 2x Divsional Championships and the John Storm Memorial Trophy, the highest achievement in sportsman racing.
Kelly's sponsor backing with the modified dragster was Performance Wholesale, Speedflow Products, Noonan Race Engineering and Castrol Edge.

She was the 2009/2010 National Modified Champion and holder of multiple national event and local event wins.

Jett Racing is Australia's Largest & Fastest 4 cylinder drag racing team...

FAMILY is the word that encompasses Jett Racing: Family built, Family based, Family backed, Family supported and Family owned.

The team was built around and named after the eldest son of Collin & Katie Willshire. They are backed by the best crew in the business including crew chief, engine builder, tuner and driver from Definition Motorsports, Mr Rob Novak.

Jett Racing has a long and successful drag racing history with multiple event wins and track records. They are proud of their many trophies and awards to the "Best Dressed Crew" at most major events where their track professionalism and presentation is just as important as delivering results on the track.

These cars are flat-out awesome. Last weekend, Kelly ran consecutive 7.2 second ETs at 180+ mph with that Nissan Ute. The engine is a turbocharged 4-cylinder Nissan with a modified cylinder head, a cam and a kick-ass trans and drivetrain. Check out JettRacing.com/au. It is an outstanding website and the Pro Compact car, also on 4 cylinders, runs 6.4 second ETs at 225 mph.
Unbelievable what they are getting out of these cars!

Jett Racing possess one of the cleanest and best equipped workshop sheds in the game, with a dust and noise free engine building room where ultimate care is taken to build the toughest and most powerful 4cyl engines in the country.

They have demonstrated a history of sponsorship and will continue to sponsor many events, classes and track signage to help propel the sport into its future.

Kelly would like to say a big Thank You to the following people and Businesses who support the team:
Phil from Performance Wholesale Australia, Rob Novak from Definition Motorsport, Rob from Turbo by Garrett, John from Turbo Supplies, Troy Burnside from Motul, Rob Clark, Ron Shearer from K1 Technologies, JE Pistons, Craig Liberty at Liberty's gears, MoTec, Sticks from Quickbitz, Steve and his team at Jack Bro's and Dave Reid from Drag Photos!

All these people give the team a lot of support and help along the way to achieve great things!

That's Kelly Bettes, Racer of the Week. Congratulations and best wishes to Kelly from Racin' and Rockin' for a very bright and successful future, Kelly.

Special congratulations to Kyle Cultrera, a Racer of the Week last month. Kyle won comp eliminator yesterday at the Divisional event at E-Town. Way to go, Kyle! Keep those wins coming!

I'm really looking forward to going to the DragList Nationals, folks. For me, it's more than a drag racing experience, although BP told me we have a VIP suite reserved for the races next Saturday. I'll be 65 years old in a couple of weeks, and I've never been East of New Orleans in my life. Not just that, but I'm going to see Washington, DC! That is a lifelong dream that I was never able to fulfill, and here it comes, man. I look forward to seeing the DragList family and hanging out with my brothers and sisters that I've been so blessed to know for the last 11 years. It's going to be a wonderful weekend, and I'm more stoked about this than I have been about anything that I can remember since the last time I went in 2009. I want to wish everybody a safe trip if you're going, and I'll be up for anything once we're all together.

The music segment for tonight...what can I say. We played 3 full gigs in 40 hours last weekend, and it wasn't over for me. From the hot rod show gig Sunday, I went to a jam session at my buddy Kim's house in Alvin. I was tired, but I made a committment to jam at Kim's on Sunday evenings, and I went and played. It's a creative release that I don't get to experience any other time. We worked on my '62 Gibson Melody Maker, which I've had for 40 years, and it's getting closer to being restored to playing condition. My plan is to use it for slide, but if I get the intonation right after working on the bridge, I might use it full-time. The Pee Wee Bowen Band is hitting on all cylinders and we're knockin' 'em dead at all of our gigs, but we have one weekend a month off, and that's where I plan to put Johnny B and the Wildcats. We're still talking about who we're going to have for a rhythym section, we haven't settled on one particular guy or another yet, but we're playing every Sunday and that's all that matters to me for now. I'll keep y'all posted on our progress. We have 8 songs recorded for our CD, 4 more to go.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow night at 7 PM Eastern for Racing Through History on RacersReunion Radio. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss! Everybody rock on...I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
KellyBettesSep082014.jpg
KellyBettesSep082014.jpg (105.9KiB)Viewed 10918 times
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:34 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Pat Richardson from Moline, Illinois. Pat was recommended to me by his daughter, Chrissy Richardson Deters. Thank you, Chrissy! This was one of the best I've ever received.

Pat Richardson has been racing since 1968, starting at Cordova drag way. There really isn't much he hasn't won, or been involved with in some way. The first street car he ran down the track was a 1957 Chevy. He made one pass down the 1/4 mile, took it home and sold it since it was too heavy and slow. From that point he built a 67 Camaro and raced that car for several years. Pat was track champion of Cordova in 1976, winning the points series the first year he entered. Then he went on to Bowling Green Kentucky for the bracket finals, got down to the final 12 cars out of over 500.

Pat is also known for some cars that he built and raced along the way, such as the Opel GT, the Chevy Vega, and a unique Plymouth Arrow. He has been a major influence on a lot of racers in his region. The Arrow generated a buzz on the Quad Cities Drag Racers page. Two of our former Racers of the Week made comments...Erik Carlson said: "This is great!!! Pat is one of those guys a lot of us younger guys look up to....as a kid one of the coolest things to witness was Pat in his Plymouth Arrow with a Lenco in it he'd do a huge dry hop, front end about 3ft in the air with the door open holding onto the doorframe!.....as a kid that was awe inspiring!...I now call him a friend and I am glad for that!! Rob Pearce answered Erik's post with: "I am not sure if you are old enough to remember Pat's Vega but it was just as cool as the Arrow. He has had so many neat rides over the years. He had an Opel GT that was pretty cool too!" Erik answered: "Rob, yep I remember the Vega and the Opel but the Arrow was always the one I wanted..when he sold it I looked at it and TRIED to sit in it..it was a no go by a big margin..way too small for me...our family and small cars have do not go together....if you recall my dad had to duck his head sideways in his Opel." Then Kevin Fauset said: "Pat was one of those, (very few) guys who you enjoyed when they were walking into the speed shop even if not buying anything, just talking and Learning which I did every time he came in. Thanks Pat and Congrats!" Joe Perez said: "Here's a great story about Pat and his Arrow......I remember Pat going out to Hitch's with me. Fitzsmire owned the car then.....Pat's comment was you have to be NUT'S.....too own a car like like, hahahaha......true story and look who bought it???????" Erik pointed out that his Dad said it was an A/Gas car with a hemi in it and a four speed....built originally by Arrow race cars out of Colorado. After several owners, the Arrow is still being raced today by Dave Cozad.

Being part of the Midwest Pro Stock Association was one of Pat's major accomplishments. This was a 5 year circuit, and with the Halley & Richardson Pro Stock Firebird, Pat worked his way to earning the championship in Union Grove, WI. in 2000. He built and raced his 1995 Rick Jones chassis, with an 802 cubic inch Sonny Leonard motor, creating his best ever ET of 7.14 @191 mph. Racing Pro Stock was a never ending challenge that he loved!

Today at 64 years old, he still loves to race his 1966 GTO, which he built himself in its entirety. The Top Sportsman Goat has the exact same paint job on it that the Pro Stock Firebird had, which I thought was a really cool touch. This car has a 25 1 E chassis, certified to run 6 seconds in the 1/4. With a 632 big block Chevy powered motor, the best ET 7.97 @166 mph, which was just accomplished a few weeks ago. This car has an all steel roof and quarter panels, and the rest is fiberglass.
Pat's most admired drag racer is Lee Shepherd.

Thanks to his wife Jo, and his family for all the help as support over the years to be able to make this a family hobby. Pat's daughter Chrissy, and his son in law, Shawn, also drag race as well. Pat Richardson's legend thrives in the hearts and minds of all who know him. Good luck, safe racing and best of times ahead, Pat. I was proud to feature you as Racer of the Week.

It would take a book to describe the fantastic time we had at last weekend's DragList Nationals. I was one small part of the whole scene, and I would leave out so much of it that the folks who were there and have their own experiences to relate, that I'm going to post my thoughts in the DragList Forum and talk about Rock n' Roll in this segment.

Wednesday, it will be 44 years since Jimi Hendrix left us. I contemplate him all the time but especially every year this week. His life, his death and his music have been exhaustively examined and talked about to the point that nothing I could say about him would really be relevant, but what I want to say tonight about Jimi Hendrix is something that hasn't been talked about much. What would Jimi Hendrix be doing now, at the age of 72 if he had lived past that phase of his life? I don't have a crystal ball, and I can't read into the future, but Hendrix' progression as a musician is fully documented and laid out in chronological order. Other guitarists of his era pretty much stayed with what they do best in terms of style and substance. I could give examples, but one guitarist stands out as never settling into one particular style of playing and he's changed a few times over the years, and that's Jeff Beck. It's a well-known fact that Hendrix had grown weary of the trappings of his rockstar career, as well as the lifestyle. In person he was a shy, soft-spoken and introverted guy. It wouldn't surprise me if Jimi Hendrix eventually would have created symphonies...not rock operas or classical pomp and circumstance. I mean instrumental magnum opus-type statements that featured his music...not just his otherworldly guitar chops, but music. Frank Zappa ended up doing those kind of movements by the time he was into his 40s, and Hendrix had the ability to create music that went far beyond the blasts of boogie that he was so well known for. You can ask any guitar player who is the best electric guitar player who ever lived and they will all tell you it was Jimi Hendrix. But he was developing at the time he died. He was jamming with Miles Davis, John McLaughlin and other jazz guys who were influencing his playing and subtly persuading him to move in that direction, and I believe he would have made great music with them if his life hadn't ended like it did, but Hendrix took a symphony with him, and I believe we missed out on something so great and so profound that it's best not to think about it. I've always said a lot of the 60s were lost because of stupidity, but a lot of stupidity was lost because of the 60s. The legend of Jimi Hendrix is caught up between those mirrored statements.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow night at 7 PM Eastern for Racing Through History on Racers Reunion Radio. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss. Everybody Rock On! Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
PatRichardsonSep152014.jpg
PatRichardsonSep152014.jpg (101.11KiB)Viewed 10902 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:53 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is the Freddy's Revenge team from Stoke-sub-Handon, in the United Kingdom. These folks have been into drag racing since the early 70s, and it's been with fuel altereds. In the 80s into the 90s, they raced as the Blue Dragon Team and stuck with fuel altereds all the way. Dave "Dopey" Grabham had been the driver of the car through the years, but with a recent leg injury, he turned over the driving duties to his son Robbie. They ran a lot this year, at DragStalgia and the National Finals, with this wild Fiat Topolino-bodied, supercharged Big Block Chevy BB/FA completing Robbie's licensing runs and getting into the field. The car is immaculately prepared and has the awesome stance of the best hot rods that compete at nostalgia events. Robbie is a natural talent behind the wheel, a chip off the old block as it were, and his future as the driver of Freddy's Revenge looks very bright.

In the years that Dopey drove, there are some awe-inspiring photos of the car literally flying at Santa Pod, standing straight-up with all 4 wheels off the ground. It was these kinds of performances that has given this team the reputation as being one of the most popular and competitive racing teams in the Nostalgia Fuel Altered Association.

The team's huge thanks go to Bob Gleadow and the Motor Psycho team for the various tools and bits we borrowed; Wendy Baker, Paul Stubbings and the Time Warp crew for their help(!) changing the tyres; Mark Skinner for our team photo; Bob Glassup for the loan of a trailer and awning; Tom the welder; Tony Betts and Jason Phelps for the back end of the chassis and much help and advice; Andy and Kate Robinson; Dan Sharp.

Plus their usual supporters, Adam; Huw; Mark; Gordon Northway of Valley Carpets; Cable-Tec.

The team is also eternally grateful to all the other racers, fans and friends for their support, help, advice, pictures and much more over the difficult couple of years we’ve had. Without the support network we have around us, I doubt we’d have even attempted to come back out.

I highly recommend visiting their website: freddysrevenge.co.uk and the Freddy's Revenge Facebook page. A lot of great photos and stories there that I believe are much better than what I can say here in a few minutes.

Freddy's Revenge, the fuel altered racing team from the UK, Racers of the Week. Good luck, safe racing and best of times in the future, guys.

I would also like to congratulate the Heaven and Hell Racing Team from London, who last weekend had dreams come true with Carla Pittau winning the National Finals on September 21st at Santa Pod and Rick McCann securing his third National Championship...it was Carla's Birthday as well as our host BP's, so it's been the best of times for Heaven and Hell! Happy Birthday, Carla and Congrats to Rick! As BP mentioned earlier, our friends at Team Atco won the Division 1 championship last weekend. Team Atco has a few former Racers of the Week and we wish them the best as they head to Pomona.

A couple of weeks ago, BP suggested that I talk about what is arguably the greatest pure modern American rock band of all time, Boston. Now that is an arguable point because there were many bands in Rock n' Roll history that made incredible cultural impact. The Beach Boys, Little Feat, early Elvis and Gene Vincent, Muddy Waters' band, Aerosmith, The Rascals, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver, the Grateful Dead, the Bob Seger System, and from my region, the Thirteenth Floor Elevators, Fever Tree, and the Sir Douglas Quintet.

I could rave on all night. But the story of Boston is truly different, unique and very dramatic...it starts and ends on the creator of their songs, their sound, and their destiny in the history of rock n' roll. Tom Scholz is a singular artistic and technical genius with talents going off in so many directions it was difficult for even him to keep track of everything he was into. It's all him, folks. He is the one guy who all of Boston's music comes from.

Tom Scholz started writing the songs that would be on Boston's landmark first album in 1969 when he was a student at MIT. On the demos he made using equipment that he pretty much built himself using outdated stuff that he had acquired over the years, he played all the instruments...keyboards, guitars, bass and vocals and he brought in the drummer, Jim Masdea from the local band he was playing in to lay down the drum tracks on his demos. Several years passed while Tom went on to get his Master's degree from MIT in engineering and began his career with Polaroid. The money he made at Polaroid financed his home recording studio that he built in the basement of his house. By 1974, he had an album in the can that he had put together, and he met Brad Delp, the vocalist from another planet, who he invited to add vocals to his demo tapes. Delp, gifted with the voice of an angel and a thorough knowledge of music theory and a flat-out rock n' roll attitude, was the perfect compliment with his multi-layered vocals to Scholz' multi-layered guitar tracks. They worked extremely well together, but Scholz' submissions to record companies were met with consistent rejections and often insulting words added at the end of the rejection letters. Go figure.

I have a bootleg album in my collection which is the original demo pressing of Boston's first album. It is fantastic. The title on the xeroxed front cover is "I found it in a trash can...honest!"

A very rocky, uneven, unfair and uncomplimentary deal was finally secured with a major record company in 1975. They demanded that the drummer be replaced, and that all the songs on the album were to be re-recorded in their entirety in a professional recording studio. It took a year to do all that, as well as for Scholz to put an actual band together to back up the project. He did as he was told, but he also did a lot of it by himself, which as we all know, paid off in spades when the album went double platinum a year or so after its release and Scholz went ahead and quit his day job. The personnel listed on the first album were Scholz, Delp, Barry Goudreau on guitar, Fran Sheehan on bass, and Sib Hashian on drums, although Scholz had Masdea play drums on one song. Masdea still plays with Scholz in the current lineup of the band, and I see that as a tribute to Tom Scholz' character.

As Brad Delp was arguably the finest American rock vocalist, Scholz was arguably the finest American rock multi-instrumentalist and inventor. I compare Tom Scholz to Les Paul. He was able to produce the sounds he heard in his head by inventing gadgets and gizmos that did what he wanted his guitars to sound like. His Rockman effects processors and amps were a little difficult for me to figure out, but once you get 'em on course, they
are outstanding devices that faithfully recreate the Boston sound.

The first album sold 17 million copies. Every 6, 7, 8 or 9 years after that album, Boston (and in parentheses), Tom Scholz has released 5 more albums, and each one is unique yet consistent with the unbelievable musicianship, vocal heroics and crystal-clear production values that the first album, which was mixed by Scholz, set the standard of excellence for modern rock. In my opinion, nothing I've heard since Boston's first album has topped it in that sense. I've said before that Gerry Rafferty's City to City album was not only the greatest album of the 70s, but perhaps of all time, but the Boston album encapsulated a moment in time that stands to this day as the finest pure rock album of its kind and although I've enjoyed many albums by many artists since that LP came out, It's still number 1.

Tom Scholz is one in a million, folks. Boston is his brainchild, and although he dismisses some of it as rush-produced in order to meet record company deadlines, I'd say even a bad take from Tom Scholz is gonna beat the best take that 99% of his peers would do.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow night at 7 PM Eastern to Racing Through History on Racers Reunion Radio. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss. Everybody Rock On. Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
Freddys_Revenge_Sep_22_2014_FB.jpg
Freddys_Revenge_Sep_22_2014_FB.jpg (110.03KiB)Viewed 10883 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:45 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Dave Granger and his partner John Wiley. Dave lives in Tinley Park, Illinois and John lives in Oak Lawn. They have been friends and partners for around 20 years or more, and they've gone through a few awesome cars and adventures together, but tonight I'm focusing on the incredible '51 Henry J Coupe that they've been campaigning for the last 10 or so years in the Midwest Top Sportsman Series. Their home track is Joliet, but they've raced all over the Midwest ever since the car was completed and taken out in 2004. I've always been partial to Henry Js in drag racing and this one is my all-time favorite.

Both guys are lifelong drag racers. In the early 70's Dave started racing at US30 with a Mustang called "Tighter and Tighter". He finished third in points at Oswego Drag Strip in "Run Tuff". In the early 80's Dave stopped racing to raise a family but was still involved in "Hot Rods". In the late 90's Dave resumed racing with a 1959 El Camino which ran in Pro and Super Pro finishing second in Super Pro at Route 66 Raceway in 2003. He has been an SFI Tech Inspector at Route 66 Raceway since 2001. In 2004, Dave introduced the 1951 Henry J Top Sportsman car at the Good Guys Nationals in Indianapolis.

Crew Chief and Co Owner - John Wiley's Hometown is Oak Lawn, Illinois. In the mid 70's John built his first hot rod, a '32 Bantam Roadster. He went to work in aircraft parts and supply business. In the early 80's John started building a '48 Anglia to run the ISCA indoor show circuit and got involved in judging for the ISCA car shows. In the late 80's he bought 40 Ford pick up as a driver while building the Anglia (John still has the pick up but the Anglia is long gone). During the mid 90's John helped Dave build an El Camino which started as a street car, and ended as a strip only car.
In the Late 90's John started looking for a smaller, lighter car to replace the El Camino. In the early 2000's John Found a '51 Henry J in Arizona and started building the car as a Super Pro or Super Gas and ended up with a Top Sportsman Class car by the time it was finished in 2004. In the fall of 2005 John bought a 2nd Henry J to Build a 60's style straight axle gasser car.

The Stats on the car are as follows: Chassis - 25.1E Weight - 2660with driver Wheel base - 108" Body - fiberglass nose/steel body Rear end - Mark Williams Brakes - Strange

Engine Type - Dart. Displacement is 565 cu inches. The heads are 12 degree profilers with Jesel rockers. It has a Comp Cam and belt drive and J&E Pistons. It has an Edelbrock nitrous system. The Carbs are 2 1105 Holley Pro Systems units. The intake is a Profiler cast Aluminum dual carb manifold. It has MSD ignition and the headers are Burns Stainless pipes. The body was done by AOK Automotive & Frank Valencia with Paint by Louis Trench of T&T Customs.

The Car's History is fascinating...it was a genuine barn-find and it turned out to be remarkably well-preserved even after 35 years of sitting in the Arizona desert. In 2000, the 1951 Henry J was discovered. Dave and John are the second owners of this complete car. it was totally stripped and taken to Gehardts Pro Car for chassis and aluminum work. The car was brought back home for wiring, brake lines, plumbing and completion. Later, they found that the car only had 26,000 original miles .

Awards and Highlights: This is the fastest steel body Henry J. 7.17 / 193 mph.
It was the best appearing race car award 2004 Good Guys Hot Rod Nationals - Indy
They won the Cool Car award from BeCool at NHRA Div 3 2005
It's featured on VSI price book and line card and is also featured on the cover of Dragcars.com

AND it is now featured as Racer of the Week on Racin' and Rockin' with DragList.com! Good luck, safe racing and best of times in the
future, Dave and John!

I heard from John Wiley this evening and Dave's Mom had to be rushed to the hospital yesterday. Dave, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your Mom tonight.

I heard yesterday that Lou Rausch won the combo race at Cordova. Lou was a Racer of the Week a few months back. Congratulations, Flat-out Lou!

Last week I talked about Boston and how they made their climb to the top. I mentioned the album "City to City" by Gerry Rafferty in comparison to the quality and musicianship that Boston, more specifically, Tom Scholz and Brad Delp applied to their landmark project. No doubt, Boston deserved their recognition, fame and fortune, but in 1978, Gerry Rafferty released the album that in my opinion is the greatest album of the 1970s, and it would be on my list as a candidate for the greatest Rock n' Roll album of all time, if not at the very top.

An album comes along once in a blue moon that stops me dead in my tracks, and this was one that took me completely by surprise. I bought the LP on the basis of Gerry Rafferty's reputation as a great Rock n' Roll singer, and because my girlfriends loved that sax break in "Baker Street". What I found out when I put the disc on the turntable was that I was listening to an all-time masterpiece of music in song from a guy who I had no idea had such depth, passion and just plain soul, that it got into my soul and changed my life.

I won't dissect it and go into exhaustive detail about how this track got played and how these lyrics hit me, but I will say that if you ever take the time to sit alone and listen to City to City, I found that every single note of every single song is dead-letter perfect. It is meant to be taken in its entirety, without micro-managing the smallest details. Simply put, it was a masterpiece the likes of which I never would have expected, and it helped me to find value in things I had taken for granted before.

Gerry Rafferty's story is a sad and unhappy ending saga. His journey through nine studio albums and the machinery of the music industry along with its pitfalls helped to bring his life to an early end, but I will always remember him as the artist who painted the most perfect of portraits. If anybody collects great music, this is one you can't do without. May Gerry rest in peace.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow night at 7 PM Eastern on Racers Reunion Radio for Racing Through History. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss. I'll be listening to hear legendary comments about the most recent controversy in sprint car racing. Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
Dave_Granger_Sep_29_2014_FB.jpg
Dave_Granger_Sep_29_2014_FB.jpg (115.9KiB)Viewed 10855 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:05 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Bud McNasby from Hammonton, New Jersey. Bud was recommended to me by our friend Rich Panicaro. Thanks, Rich! With nearly 30 years of drag racing experience, Bud has over 13,000 runs down the race track, garnering 11 track championships and several high dollar bracket race wins. In addition to bracket racing, McNasby has also competed in the NHRA Stock Eliminator and Super Street categories.

Bud brings a unique knowledge on the psychology of racing, having operated a bracket racing school since 2000, teaching hundreds of people how to win. He is a fixture at Atco Raceway in Atco, NJ, which is a track that has earned a reputation for hosting some of the most brutal bracket competition in the Northeast region and throughout the country. He runs The Speed Shop at Atco Raceway, and has been doing that since 2003.

There is a virtual encyclopaedia online on Bud McNasby, but I'd like to read to you what Bud sent to me for tonight's segment. When it comes down to it, nothing I've read about Bud says it better than what he himself told me.

Bud said: Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to be a bracket racer. My dad and mom used to bracket race when I was 7 through 12 years old. I lived for going to the track, which was never enough as far as I was concerned. I developed my competitive spirit BMX racing from age 15 until 17, when I got my license. In 1986 I turned 18, started racing (cars), and met my wife, Rita. We were marrried in 1989 and just celebrated our 25th anniversary. We have a 12 year old daughter, Amanda, who is looking forward to starting her own racing career next year.

My car is a 73 Oldsmobile Omega with a 488 cubic inch, fuel injected big block Oldsmobile engine, TH400 transmission that I shift at 5400 rpm, Hoosier 30x9 radials, weighs 3450 lbs. with me in it, and has run a best of 10.49@124. I have owned the car since 1988 and I have always footbraked it, even when I run a class that allows electronics. I have won 7 Pro track championships, 3 gambler race points series (which allows electronics), an NHRA Division 1 Race of Champions, a $10,000 footbrake race, a runner up at the Division 1 Bracket Finals, and have made well over 10,000 runs in the car. I have also driven cars for other people, winning a NHRA Divisional in Super Street and a $5,000 Super Pro race (both using electronics).

In 2000 I started my bracket racing school. It is totally unique and unlike any other bracket racing school. It is a mostly classroom setting, is highly in depth, and takes about 6 hours to complete. It uses a very structured system to elevate any racer's program, whether it be footbrake or transbrake; top bulb, bottom bulb, or pro tree; a novice or a seasoned veteran. Recently, some schools have been done at the racetrack for a more hands on approach. Class size is always kept small to provide personalized attention, and can even be done one on one. The school schedule and setting are flexible, and can be tailored to the individual. The best part of the school is that once you have taken it, I am available for any technical support at no additional cost...forever. It's like the Mafia, once you're in, you're in for life. One of my biggest strengths is my ability to troubleshoot and rectify an issue over the phone, whether the issue is with the driver or the vehicle. I help alumni with tuning, suspension adjustments, ET predictions, throttle stop settings, making strategy decisions, applying the school's system, and mental coaching over the phone every week. In 2013, I started Bud's Place, which in addition to the school, includes a speed shop selling race/high performance parts, as well as race car tuning, wiring, plumbing, and differentials. Also, Bud's Place offers trackside consulting for race cars and racers to improve ET, consistency, reaction time, suspension, and/or throttle stop setup.

I would like to thank my awesome wife, Rita, for always being there, and all of her support every day, every year. I couldn't have done it without her. My beautiful daughter, Amanda, who makes racing fresh again, and with whom I can't wait to share everything I've learned. John at Crutchybilt Performance in Elkton, MD for building a fast Oldsmobile engine that holds up to my driving. Michael's Transmission in Waterford, NJ for building a transmission that holds up to my driving. Ed Jr. at Select Performance in West Babylon, NY for building a torque converter that does what I ask for, right out of the box. Oh yeah, and holds up to my driving. All of my students, customers, friends, and family, you truly are my measure of success. And most of all.....THANKS DAD!

That's Bud McNasby, Racer of the Week. Congratulations, safe racing and best of times in the future, Bud!

Over the last few weeks, I've talked about certain albums that had an impact, on me. I realize that my tastes and preferences in music are not altogether in line with what everybody else thinks is cool or good or whatever, but from where I stand, I can offer my take on musical experiences that have had a profound effect on my life. One day in the summer of 1976, I was browsing a cut-out bin at the neighborhood record store. I came across a double album by Spirit called "Spirit of '76: Tampa Jam / Electro Jam From the Time Coast". I got the sealed package for around 2 bucks, as I recall. Since the original band split up after their masterpiece, "The Twelve Dreams of Doctor Sardonicus", 4 years earlier, I had kept up with their output, and although I really enjoyed Randy California's solo album, Kaptain Kopter and the Fabulous Twirly Birds, and Jay Ferguson and Mark Andes' album, Jo Jo Gunne, the band Spirit went into some strange and not-too-appealing music that even though I collected, it did not have nearly the influence in my mind that their first 3 albums had. So I didn't have high expectations of this record. Well, I was in for the surprise of my life...this album took my soul to infinity and back, and it was a trio performing it...Produced by Randy California and it featured him, Ed Cassidy on drums and Barrymore Keene on bass.

Unbelievably beautiful song after beautiful song that got me where I lived. It was the luckiest find I ever made in my record-collecting history. It could be that the album cover art wasn't up to the standards of Spirit's former records that it ended up in a bargain bin...it was a crude, cluttered mess, drawn with what looks like a Sharpie on a couple of napkins...but I found out it ain't about the album cover. The music didn't go away after I finished listening to it, and I spent the next couple of years rearranging my life and placing proper importance on proper issues with that album playing in the background of my mind. I believe if I hadn't found that record, I wouldn't have ended up where I am today, and that's a good thing according to JB.

I don't know if this record is available on CD, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're ready to be changed by hearing it. Randy California provides a
window of opportunity for the imagination and soul with this performance that doesn't come along as a companion to your spiritual journey but once in a lifetime. We lost Randy California in a swimming accident in Hawaii in 1997. He was 46 years old, but he left behind some of the greatest music I ever heard. It is interesting that it was Jimi Hendrix who gave Randy Wolfe his new name when the kid was playing in Hendrix' band in Greenwich Village the year before Jimi moved to England. Rest in peace, Randy, and thanks.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow night on Racers Reunion Radio for Racing Through History at 7 PM Eastern. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss! Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
Bud_McNasby_Oct_06_2014_FB.jpg
Bud_McNasby_Oct_06_2014_FB.jpg (537.45KiB)Viewed 10834 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:48 am

Another superb pick John. His dedication to racing rivals yours in music.
No you can't always judge a book.... er album by its cover. Thanks. :D

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks, Wheelz...Bud is a great guy who has taken his freedom into his own career, and he's been tremendously successful. I look up to guys like him. As for the Spirit album, yes, that ugly cover was hiding many secrets to unlocking much potential in my soul. I am very glad I found it. Here's the cover. Best, WC1
http://www.burtshonberg.com/spirit76.htm
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:22 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Peter Kapiris from Melbourne, Australia. Peter was recommended to me by our friend Greg Gow in Queensland. Thanks, Greg! Peter Kapiris is the owner and pilot of what I believe to be the most awesome Top Doorslammer in the world. It's a '59 Dodge Saratoga, painted similarly to the Batmobile. There is extensive data available on this car. I have to sort out and condense a lot of my stuff to fit in this time frame, and tonight I highly recommend taking a thrill ride through kapiris.com. These guys are the real deal and they are some of the most competitive, fun-loving and free-spirited drag racers you'll find anywhere.

Peter started drag racing in 1990 with a super stock Chevy Beretta that ultimately ran a 7.10 at 198, and he went faster and faster through a series of hot rods including a Holden Statesman VQ that went 6.70 at 218. It was this car that won the '97 Nationals and by now Peter was hooked. He rebodied the car to save weight, moved the steering to the left side to provide better balance, and ran the car for 3 seasons before having the first Batmobile built in 1997, a '53 Studebaker Champion, which ran 6.40s at over 220. This car had teething problems but after switching to a roots blower, things smoothed out. Adding a new cam made all the difference, and when they finally decided to put a screw blower in it, it produced a world record. In the 2001 -2002 season in the Studebaker Peter won his first championship. He has been the quickest and the fastest in the world previously in that car. He also won and award for the most amount of testing with the least results and he has the certificates to prove it.

As of September 2010, Peter runs the Murray Anderson-built Dodge Saratoga and he's in a rocket of a ride now. The car runs low 5.70s at over 256 mph. It uses the X1 Blackhawk billet head system, which is the key to its success, as these are the best heads a blown big block hemi can run. All Top Doorslammers are supercharged, and Peter's Batmobile not only looks cool, it produces awesome performances on track. There was that incident when the clutch exploded during qualifying at a national event, it engulfed the cockpit in flames at high speed, and Peter crossed over and banged into Victor Bray. Vic's car just got a scratch on it, but Peter's car was smashed up pretty bad. They took him to the hospital after that, but the car got fixed and Peter came back the next day and ended up winning the event.

The crew consists of Mark Brew, crewchief...there is nothing this guy can't do. He's the best asset to KBR and a hell of a nice guy to boot.

Jeff Cutajar, is the Janitor, computer, welding, clutch grinding, mechanic, travel agent, co-tuner, social worker, bad guy, good guy, organizer… oh and they labelled him team manager.

Mike Smith, the clutch man...nobody removes and refits a clutch between rounds as quick as Mike and still has time for a shower ... Also, he does general maintenance on the race car between rounds.

Wayne Whitmore, is proof good things definitely come in small packages. Wayne's all over the engine after a run and he's super-fast, thorough and makes racing easier with him around. Oh... and you won't miss him...he looks exactly like Chuck Norris.

Narelle Roughley does the reverse gear for the boss and general maintenance on race car between rounds. She's responsible for the team's flash uniforms. Oh... and eye candy for every one.

Trevor Neilson, pit manager. This man has been the best thing for the race team, organizing the pit area and transporter. Race day is organized by Trev. He also finds time to work on car between runs.

Lisa Whitmore is the wife of Chuck Norris. Lisa organizes food and makes the team the best coffees. She does set up and pack up also.

Peter Kapiris is the steering wheel technician.

The team's sponsors arers: KAPIRIS BROS , TORCO OILS , PAUL PHILLIPS TRANSPORT, SPIROSKI UNLOADING SERVICE , DPE performance exhausts , PROFORCE MOTORSPORT , UHIRE , and BOHR RACING PRODUCTS.

Peter is currently 4th in points in the ANDRA Group 1 series, and we wish him good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future. Peter Kapiris, Racer of the Week. Keep that Chrysler going straight and fast, Peter.

I won a Paul Revere and the Raiders concert video in 1986 from winning a mystery guitar lick contest on the local classic rock station. By the time I'd won concert tickets, videos, t-shirts and gift certificates, they told me I couldn't play the game anymore...they'd play one second of a classic rock song featuring the guitar lick, and you had to guess the song and the band. For me it was easy, and I won like 10 in a row, but they finally said no more from me, so I got the girl I worked with to call in the answer a few more times until they caught on and finally banned me for life.

One of the guitar licks I guessed was "Hungry" by Paul Revere and the Raiders, so they sent me a Paul Revere video. Those guys played their butts off, even 20 years after they were the house band for "Where The Action Is" which my sister and I watched religiously back when we were in High School. We lost Paul last week and all these happy memories from my youth came back to the surface. This was a guy, who with his band, his image, his personality and his music, gave us Americans a lot of smiles over the years.

I remember seeing a picture of Andy, my brother in law whose Les Paul I now own, wearing a Paul Revere hat in the first band he was in back in the 60s. The Raiders hats were eventually replaced with Stevie Ray Vaughan hats in the 90s...that was a mystery to me; do you have to have the hat? I asked Andy about that and he said no, it was a stage thing. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If you wore the hats, you'd be popular and get gigs. Besides, they did all the Raiders' hits.

In the new millenium, I looked back on the impact the Radiers had on our generation and on American society in general, and going back and listening to their songs, they were the American Yardbirds of their era and the Aerosmith of Top 40 radio, but they also had pre-Monkees schtick and nobody was better and hamming it up for the cameras, but they did it so well, it was how we identified with them.

The band had become an American Institution over the years and Paul worked that gig right up until the end. He had gigs booked well into next year when he died. Dedication to one's art doesn't come in a stronger package, and if anybody ever wanted to find an American Band that stayed the course and remained faithful to their original vision, this was the band to check out. Their contemporaries, the Rascals, who were my favorite American Band of the 60s, who I will discuss in the future, the Lovin' Spoonful, the Association, the Mamas and the Papas, Booker T and the MGs, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Simon & Garfunkel, The Clique, The Cryan' Shames, all the groups that had hits during the Raiders' heyday on the charts, although they produced incredible masterpieces of music at that time, with the exception of the Beach Boys, they're no longer together. Paul outlasted 'em all.

Wally Bell went to a Mark Lindsay concert recently and he said Mark is right at the top of his game...he was the voice of the band and the voice of the hits we all know by heart. I wish Mark a long, happy and prosperous life, and I wish Paul Revere an eternal rest in peace. We wouldn't have had a happy teenage life without those knockout songs you gave us.

Y'all be sure to tune in tomorrow night at 7 PM Eastern for Racing Through History on Racers Reunion Radio. It's a Goat Rodeo you don't want to miss. Everybody rock on. Thanks, I'll see y'all next week.
Attachments
PeterKapirisOct132014.jpg
PeterKapirisOct132014.jpg (103.28KiB)Viewed 10801 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:47 am

I watched Peter run on TV here about two weeks ago. That was some good racing down under.
Funny you should mention Booker T as he was one of my favorite musicians way back when I
was a youngin' playing Green Onions. Just recorded a concert with him on AXS about a week ago.
He had his son playing a few songs too. Very cool John. :D

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:50 am

I watched Peter run on TV here about two weeks ago. That was some good racing down under.
Funny you should mention Booker T as he was one of my favorite musicians playing Green Onions
way back when I was a youngin'. Just recorded a concert with him on AXS about a week ago.
He had his son playing a few songs too. Very cool John. :D

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”