spark plugs

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
greenracing

Postby greenracing » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:31 am

yeah - those are some pretty good articles. I remember when you first posted them reading them to compare how I had been doing it for years. Dad and I learned from some old drag racer when we started running blown alcohol - we weren't too far off...

TurboDiverArt

Postby TurboDiverArt » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:42 am

Drag Racing Stories: Spark Plug Reading 101 for Gasoline Motors by Mike Canter. Mike Canter explains how to properly read spark plugs for gasoline engines. - Sep 16, 2005

http://tinyurl.com/2hz98x
Hi,

I have seen this article referenced a number of times. Was Mike the guy that produced a small pamphlet sized book on how to read plugs? I saw this once a while ago and it was extremely detailed with pictures. Recently I've been looking for that book to purchase. I don't know if the above link was an excerpt from a much larger article/book.

Thanks for any information!

Art.
Art Paltz
230" Undercover, 468ci stock block, 7.840@170.14

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:17 pm

Hi Art. Welcome to the board. I don't know if it's the same guy. I think his email is attached to the story, so drop him a line... bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

stimpy

Postby stimpy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:04 pm

that is a good read . if Mike does offer the book let us know please . thanks
the Groom that went Vroom At DLN IV

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:17 am

Great Read..thanks BP

Earl from Champion was awesome......(taught us a ton)
After Earl..
Gordy Foust can read plugs better than any human I've ever known..

Right or wrong..you can sometimes use plugs like a "fuse" (go a tic hotter), in an extremely high cylinder pressure engine..(supercharged,Nitrous, etc.)
www.wallybell.com

Novel-T

Postby Novel-T » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Reading alky plugs is easy - I have yet to figure out how to read gas plugs. With alky you just look at how much cad plating you burn off.
Perry,I've always run Autolite plugs which have black bases,should I run a brand that is cad plated?

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:26 pm

I've always run clear plated plugs - champions are silver, ngk's are kind of gold. I don't really know how the black plugs look - whether they'll burn off too or not. I usually get them in the light so that you can see the shiny - it's not shiny anymore when it's burned off. You might be able to do the same thing on the black plugs - I don't know. I know Dad always looked cross-eyed at guys that came over and asked him to look at a black plug.

I actually prefer Champions to NGKs. The silver seems to burn off cleaner and they're easier to read. Unfortunately they quit making them in the model I run...

Eric David Bru

Postby Eric David Bru » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:20 pm

We run Autolites on the Top Fuel car and I have been told to run NGKs on the 1956. If I have too much of a problem reading them I will probably change over to the Autolites.

EDB
Outlaw Eric :cool:

Return to “Tech Questions”