Camshafts

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:54 pm

Well now that I have some experience in both of these areas, I feel I should chime in.

I would say, NO a 6-cyl cam is not a strong as a V8 cam. I know for certain that a steel rod small block will go to 9700 rpm 1-time. :shock:

When it gets there, it will break your cam into 3-pieces. Now, it may go to 9600 multiple times, I haven't tried that, but it will only go to 9700 1-time! :lol:

The little 6-cylinder didn't go anywhere near 9700 rpm, and it broke in 2-pieces. :twisted: :roll:

So as you can plainly see,,,the V8 wins all the way around. It is better at breaking cams into more pieces, it has more cyls, and makes more hp. 8) :lol: :lol:
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:59 pm

Can U say with certainteeeeee that the 6 was under 9700 @ the time of the "incidente" ??? :oops: :lol: :lol:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:08 pm

Can U say with certainteeeeee that the 6 was under 9700 @ the time of the "incidente" ??? :oops: :lol: :lol:
Now, I aint saying it would be "COMPLETELY" our of character for her to have had it wound up there :shock: ,,,,,,,,but do to my rather extensive RENTAL CAR experience with V6's,,,,,I believe I can be certain that this one was not at aformentioned RPM Zone! :wink: :lol:
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:24 pm

:lol: the GATOR GUMBO John the Plumber actually "pulled " to 5700 last week :lol: :oops: :shock:

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:14 pm

Now, I aint saying it would be "COMPLETELY" our of character for her to have had it wound up there :shock: ,,,,,,,,but do to my rather extensive RENTAL CAR experience with V6's,,,,,I believe I can be certain that this one was not at aformentioned RPM Zone! :wink: :lol:
Randy, I can relate to the rental car deal :lol: The one we had in florida was definitely governed. :lol: The only stuttering I heard was from Trish! followed by cussing! :lol:
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

wheelzman

Postby wheelzman » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:18 pm

Randy, I can relate to the rental car deal The one we had in florida was definitely governed. The only stuttering I heard was from Trish! followed by cussing!

At what exact RPM did she start stuttering and did the cussing start before that RPM level or after. Also, did she breakup or was the level or tone of her voice consistant??????????????????????????

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm

Actually Wheelz, I can't for certain tell ya, we were in heavy traffic. I'm kinda thinking that the engine was at peak RPM for Oh, say, 1/10th of a second before I slammed,...I mean shifted to second gear, at which time I was bombarded with comments such as,..what in the he** do you,...well you get the idea. But I gotta tell ya after floatin the valves in third, she did'nt have a whole lot to say, cause she was leaving fingerprints in the,... .........anyway, ugh,..um, ..Trish proceeded to say words that I had'nt heard in quite some time, since my bar hoppin days. The old car finally settled down in fourth and the rush was over,...well really was'nt ever there, but you know us old dragracers,... never lift! Whew, I love vacation! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Return to “Tech Questions”