Measurement

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Lippy
Measurement

Postby Lippy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:18 pm

Ok, I have a question for anyone who is good at math. Can the time be measured that a piston spends completely stopped at the top and bottom of the cylinder when running.? At 10,000 I'd bet it's not too long!
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

hemi altered 378

Postby hemi altered 378 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:52 pm

lippy..........i agree :D
Darren Russell
http://www.russellperformanceengineering.com/
Lean 'er out 5 more!

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:32 pm

Send me your email address and I will send you an excel program called piston motion I downloaded. Enter the data about your combo and it will calculate where the piston is at any crank degree angle.
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:13 am

Bob, I don't want to know where it is, I want to know for what amount of time it's there. The laws of physics say that in order for something to change direction there is a point in time it must come to a complete stop to change direction. Any ideas? I want to know how long it is stopped at a certain RPM. ??????????? :D

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:20 am

I can tell ya from sperinz that if you change directions many times at a hi rate of speed you can throw your back out :roll:

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Jim, this little idea stems way back to when I was a teenager working on my 55 chevy race car. I had built a little punched out 283 chev, a 292, I was running 5.57 gears in an olds rear with a 4spd, I'd shift it about 8500, and I was tellin my Dad one day out in the shop It had a small miss at times, he said, you'd miss too if you were running that kind of speed!, then he said, you know, those pistons hafta make a complete stop at the top and bottom of the cylinders to change direction. Then he said, How long do ya figure they're stopped.? Then he walked away, suddenly I realized I was lucky a miss is all I had! :lol: :lol:

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:00 am

a few years back when i first got online with web tv and found draglist message board i thru a math question up that went something like this; Supposing a top fuel car leaves the starting line @ 8000 rpm and the clutch management keeps the rpm constant throughout the run and the et is 4.75 , how many times did the number 1 cylinder fire over the coarse of the run???? most of the replies on the board were accurate. But ask this question to the fan in the bleachers holding a draft beer and it's unbilievable the answers you will get :roll: :shock: :lol:

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:04 pm

Yeah, its like 633 times, at first thought you say, oh man it's gotta be eighty gozillion! I never was a math wiz, knew just enough to figure a six pack in change! :lol:

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:26 pm

not anykind of math wiz....but the answer to the question is certainly going to be in milliseconds, Lippy.....perhaps even micro-milliseconds....specially at higher rpm's.........
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:00 pm

Billy, I've got some engine builder math wiz types on this deal, I'll post answers when I get em! :D

Return to “Tech Questions”