Fire Systems for a Doorslammer

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Eric David Bru
Fire Systems for a Doorslammer

Postby Eric David Bru » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:47 pm

Hey gang,

I am doing a little off-season research on fire systems. According to the 2007 IHRA rule book:

TA/FC = 20 lbs of halon with 1 nozzle in the cockpit and 2 on the engine. Fire windows are required.

Pro Mod = 20 lbs of halon with 1 nozzle in the cockpit and 2 on the engine.

Pro Stock = 5 lbs of halon with 1 nozzle in the cockpit 1 on the engine.

Top Sportsman = 5 lbs of halon with 1 nozzle in the car and 1 on the engine.

Modified = No rules listed.

Our car is technically a Modified class bracket car at this time but when we start running the nitrous we will be classed as Top Sportsman.

I am thinking about getting a 5lb system with a second 5 lb bottle installed. 2 nozzles on the engine and 1 at the driver’s feet.

What are your thoughts on installing a two bottle system?

In the event of a fire I would pull the one bottle and if it didn't knock it down I would pull the second. In the event of a 'big fire' into the drivers compartment of a doorslammer, I could pull both.

Any way you slice it I would have 2X the 'recommended' extinguisher.

Thoughts on brands, etc?

Some that come to mind:

www.djsafety.com
www.deist.com
www.stroudsafety.com

EDB
Outlaw Eric :cool:

jed5161

Postby jed5161 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:04 pm

i cant remember what system we had in the 57 but we had two bottles in the trunk. If memory serves me right.....there were two on the motor, one on the fuel tank, and one at drivers feet. Did jus what your talking about, two seperate cables for each bottle. Had the cable safety pins tied together because of difficulty to pull each pin with gloves on in a hurry. Besides when you need a fire bottle, rather be ready, if not go ahead and pull both.
Jared Micetich
Top Dragster 5161

www.myspace.com/jed5161

Eric David Bru

Postby Eric David Bru » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:15 pm

...Had the cable safety pins tied together because of difficulty to pull each pin with gloves on in a hurry. Besides when you need a fire bottle, rather be ready, if not go ahead and pull both.
You didn't pull the pins out in the staging lanes prior to firing the car?

EDB

jed5161

Postby jed5161 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:57 pm

the bottles themselfs had safety pins in valves themselfs. The cables that were in the car has pins in each cable as well. We kept them in so we didnt' have any unwanted activation of the fire system. Stick'n with the keep it simple stupid approch, we had everything easy access. Jus pull on a cable that tied safety pins together, then pull the bottle cable handles. Never what could activate when going though tire shake in a pro mod car. Especially with dad driving. They didn't name him Bruce "drive it like a madman" micetich for nothing at the KCIR Doorslammer event
Jared Micetich
Top Dragster 5161

www.myspace.com/jed5161

Eric David Bru

Postby Eric David Bru » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:30 pm

...They didn't name him Bruce "drive it like a madman" micetich for nothing at the KCIR Doorslammer event
Yeah, I have video of that pass on my Urban Hillbilly videos...

WILD!

EDB

stimpy

Postby stimpy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:06 pm

do what I told my brother when he asked about gloves for his hands , how much are they worth to you ?? ( hes was code writer for MS ) so he bought the best ones around, you can never have too much protection , but it seems theres always not enough .
the Groom that went Vroom At DLN IV

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:55 am

Call DJ, I really like his systems.

I would point 2 nozzles at the rear of the heads area. Then something at the front fuel pump/front of engine area. If you have a fire in your style car, heads or manifold gaskets are probably going to push out and cause it before anything else.

1 nozzle at your feet pointed up,,,you are not trying to put out the driver,,,just the fire.

Wally probably will have some more ideas for you. DJ, will also tell you where the most common area is.

Good Luck, may you NEVER need them in your career!!

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:17 am

Halon?, I don't think you can use halon anymore can you? I just got two 10lb Cold fire bottles from DJ. for the vette.
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:26 am

that's what I was thinkin' Lippy. I think I read somewhere it can't be used in '08? :?:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Return to “Tech Questions”