lencodrive-VS-Bruno-VS-B&J drive??

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Big Erik
lencodrive-VS-Bruno-VS-B&J drive??

Postby Big Erik » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:48 am

Guys,
I know some of you the converter drive/lenco setups.......someday in the stude I wanna run one in that, now my first choice is a Lenco drive......but also i have seen many Bruno's for sale.the bruno and B&J drive are kinda the same style andI could use my style lenco while the lenco drive runs different style cases etc.......here's my question the Lenco drive uses an electrice style brake in it while the bruno and B&J use an air one.my dad says he ha sbeen told these are too slow......which for delay box full tree stuff might be fine but on a pro tree??......so anyone here got one they can tell me how well they work??......i as because again i am cheap and the brunos sell cheaper and i would have spare lenco stuff since i have two complete ones for the 62.....I am eventually gonna have to go with a dual disc setup in the 62 and I do not wanna not run a clutch in that car but the stude is half dad's so i gotta kinda go with what he wants for now we are running a glide in it......i ask all this because I ahve also heard that the magnet on the clutch pedal deal didn;t work either and on my 62 it works excellent....... :wink: .thanks guys ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

jed5161

Postby jed5161 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:35 am

we made/make a 400 turbo that is 100% air operated here at our shop. We ran in it our pro mod car and also in Ron Muenks 63 corvette pro mod. Everything was air operated inside the transmission. first we just had it shifting with CO2 then after realizing 4 wheel disc brakes werent enough to hold the car back at a just off idle launch, we included a trans brake. With CO2 timers that times down to like hundred ten thousands, it was the fastest releasing transbrake in the world. Also fastest shifting transmission. that being said, yes air co2 operated stuff can be quick for whatever. Problem with the bruno's basicly thier design freakin sucks. Always leaking, tearing pumps up, customer service sucks (they wouldn't work with us even to get a pump), they are so touchy on pressures its retarded.

As for lencodrive and electric trans brake. You know we run in our dragster. The last weekend we were out, i ran pro tree heads up racing. (two passes anyway before valvetrain let go.) Anyways, i went -.011, then added .015 to the delay box (yes i had delay in it on a pro tree) and went .007 on the green side. I know dragsters and door cars react totally different. From what i've seen, i wouldn't be worried on trans brake releases and all that. Look at all the super gas guys, they run pro tree with majority on electric brakes cuttin hell good lights.

As for the B&J tranny's. From what i hear they're a good piece. Lots of pro mod guys use em. We've never ran em to get a good perspective on them.

If you get a lencodrive and a good convertor (stay away from neil chance, jus my opinion), you'll never need spare parts. We opened ours up jus to check stuff out and it looks like new inside yet. We dont even run a cooler on it. I recommend a cooler, it started gettn pretty warm after some back to back runs at eddyville since we were running both quick 16 and super pro at a few races. I think most guys to testify on my finish line driving habits with this car too. I drove the damn thing like a super comp car pedaling the stripe. (retarded i know, jus habit from other cars i guess). Anyways what i'm gettn at is if'll live through what i put it through, its gotta be a great piece. We had no parts what so ever for it. Hell we didnt even change the fluid in it til we tore it apart for inspection.

Thats jus my 2 cents. if its worth that haha. Hope it helped out in some way.

Jared
td/ts 5161
Jared Micetich
Top Dragster 5161

www.myspace.com/jed5161

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:20 am

I know that Ron Muenks got a lot of exposure and cheers from that automatic Pro Mod car that hit the 6.0s. I didn't know it was you who built that tranny. Congrats.

As for your frank comments on the other manufacturers, everyone should note that it is Jared's opinion only and Draglist.com is only providing the space for commentary.

This forum and free and open for any alternate points of view. Thanks. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

jed5161

Postby jed5161 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:44 pm

i agree 100%, my opnion is just that an opinion. i appologize for bein so ....blunt i guess i should say with my opinion. Im not here to give anyone a bad reputation or anything like that, i'm just trying to give suggestions and reccomendation from our experiences. Again i appologize for being so direct and blunt. Jus a racer try'n to make it easier/better for other racers
Jared Micetich
Top Dragster 5161

www.myspace.com/jed5161

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:05 pm

Thanks, Jared. Trying to give you enough room for expression but keep our house, too! :lol: Happy holidays! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:38 pm

thanks Jared this is exactly what i am looking for.I have heard the same stuff from others about the bruno setup.and also another buddy of mine runs a lencodrive in his top sportsman firebird.he swears by it too.and he ran a lenco for YEARS with a clutch went to this for ease of mainentance.......if the time comes for a change I will most likely go with the lenco.......thanks again for the info.ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

Return to “Tech Questions”