dry sump/breather question..........

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Big Erik
dry sump/breather question..........

Postby Big Erik » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:20 am

Guys,
I am switching to a true dry sump setup this winter, i have run a barnes in the pan 'dry sump" setup for a few years and it works fine but i am going to the full 3 stage moroso dry sump setup I already got all the stuff.my question is this..I do not run a vacuum pump and I currently have two jaz breather/catch tanks one plumbed to each valve cover with a #12 an line as engine breathers it seems to work okay.......now my dad runs the same dry sump setup i just got and also a vac pump.he doesn't run any breathers. cept the vac pump one.......on mine I will still have to have the breather system right???.........I know most guys run a vac pump setup too and probably should but........... :roll: ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

art d

Postby art d » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:09 pm

I would make sure I have a breather on the dry sump system itself. It has to vented to allow the pump to pull the oil.
Art

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:13 pm

thanks for the reply, the oil tank has a breather tank made onto it with a breather on it.my question is, is this sufficient or do i have to run the valve cover breathers too??....it is already setup with the two tanks and lines to the covers from how i ran it before so thats not a big deal just do not want to puke oil all over or something stupid like that......ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:44 am

You should be fine Erik. The dry sump will pull some vacuum - not as much as a vacuum pump of course, but some - so theoretically you won't need as much breather as you had on the covers. But since you're not running a vacuum, you'll need some - so I'd leave them the way you had them. (after re-reading that - I'm not sure I made any sense... :roll: )You could probably run the supply tank breather out to the same puke tank - but if it's got a built in breather - that's cool.

Sounds like you're good to go... :)

Return to “Tech Questions”