chassis flex

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Mtn.man

Postby Mtn.man » Tue May 02, 2006 9:22 pm

mt mn i have switched from the 1.1/4 to 1.3/8 tubing for the upper rear frame rails. will this help in the strength and itegrity of the back half? or im i pi--- in the wind thanks gary b ( broke dad ]
not sure of the exact structural cross section comparison of the 2 without getting out me book but if the wall thickness is the same and the diameter is larger then Yes it is stronger and by quite abit... will have to sit down and do some reading for the difference....
Walk softly, carry a Big Gun
and Thank You Troops!

gary b

Postby gary b » Tue May 02, 2006 9:28 pm

065 1.1/4 or 083 1.3/8 thanks in advance broke dad

Mtn.man

Postby Mtn.man » Tue May 02, 2006 9:32 pm

OK,,, you can figure about 3x's the strength over the 1-1/4.
Walk softly, carry a Big Gun
and Thank You Troops!

Bob Kraemer

Postby Bob Kraemer » Tue May 02, 2006 10:59 pm

Even though the chassis is for advance et build the car to T/AD specs. I know of one chassis builder who says I only know how to build a car one way T/F specs. And he has built a lot of T/F, T/AD & F/C chassis.
With a short wheel base flex shouldn't be much of an issue.
If you intend to keep the car a long time you might consider no slip joints in the chassis. Slip joints will wear a chassis out before it's time. If you do install slip joints I would only put them on the uprights to the lower frame rails in front of the drivers compartment.
Bob Kraemer

Certifiable Insanity

"Friends are quiet angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.''

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Wed May 03, 2006 12:06 am

now to be clear i didn't say i wanted to be like lippy, i just want a f.e.d.
Now what in the world is wrong with Lippy? He's a gentleman, he helps around the house, he's considerate of others, he's funny, he's kind, he's charming.

Did I forget anything Steve? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lippy is faxing Barb cash again!!! :roll: :wink:
Randy, after this week, It's gonna hafta be an I.O.U. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Wed May 03, 2006 12:09 am

Gary, I in no way meant to de-rail the thread. I'd like to help too but know nothing about rear engine, slip joint cars. There are people here that can steer ya in the right direction though.

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Wed May 03, 2006 12:10 am

When is the news coming on why my buddy is so broke? :wink:
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Wed May 03, 2006 12:25 am

Ok, OK, I'll start a thread. :roll:Or better yet finish the one I started already. :oops: :lol:

gary b

Postby gary b » Wed May 03, 2006 4:27 am

yea un fortunately i have to keep my cars till there way outdated. we race at the hollow and i've seen 6 feet under the rear wheels more than once. the track was cut and a culvert was put in now we have a dip that rely upsets the cars when your on the brakes thru the dip. the shut down area is short. on a normal pass everything right sub 4.70 1/8 you pull two chutes and pray a little. the four link cars just squat and stop no bouncing no running off the end. make's me a little jealous. but now i'm relying on my welds, bends and construction. this will my son's first big car. no more jr's so maybe i'm little to carefull. thanks to all broke dad

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Wed May 03, 2006 11:14 pm

Gary, you can't be too careful, it's called being a good Dad, and being smart. :wink: 8)

Return to “Tech Questions”