chassis flex

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
gary b
chassis flex

Postby gary b » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:08 am

a little history i"m building a weld up draqster kit. i's a 4 link 230 inch double slip joint advance et car. after watching all tv coverage on cory mac. it's got me wondering about the design. i realize i'll never put the load on this car that the top fuel cars do. but we normaly run friday sat and sun all summer about two hundred passes a year. is this going to be harder than what they do??? my last car craked there in front of the motor plate and behind the cage. this area has very litle bracing. the chassis is desgned to flex there.. the car is for my 16 year old son so i may be a little on the carefull side. broke dad ( gary b )

Mtn.man

Postby Mtn.man » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:41 am

at 230" and a double slip joint, you shouldn't have to much flex unless you have bind..... as far as the mtr mt area,, that is a place where most all end up cracking regardless....we have been double tubing that area for a small length and have had a little success in them making it through the year.. a 4 link weighs more and you have more tubing in the rear.. the 4 link will take away some of the flex as now your car will accept the rough track conditions better and the chassis will not have to flex to accommodate the bumps we could go on all day about the + and - of 4 link vs. rigid vs. slip joint etc.... I have built/driven most and I can tell you that if you are winning with one that is the one you are going to like regardless...

we always check the car when we unload it, after ever pass, and after it gets back to the shop,,,, nothing better than inspections and inspections....
Walk softly, carry a Big Gun
and Thank You Troops!

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:32 pm

Move the engine to the front. Problem solved! No more broken frames, no shocks, no 4 link, :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:25 pm

Good question and good responses. I agree with Mntman. You are not going to be putting your car though anything like the loads a top/fuel car sees in 5-passes if you ran it for 5-years.

I would say especially in a long car like yours it is going to be very critical to support the car when you are transporting it to and from the races. It will wear out alot more in the trailer than on the racetrack.

Good Luck,

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Mtn.man

Postby Mtn.man » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:39 pm

OOOOHHH yeah fergot,,, what rapid said you need a good support system for transportation or you will pre wear you chassis out,,, always, always use a bladder or some type of support for the chassis.... and lock the front wheels into a stop type block to avoid unnecessary movement...
and Thank You Troops!

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:35 pm

used tractor tubes wrapped in blankets
worked well
www.wallybell.com

Mtn.man

Postby Mtn.man » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:29 pm

Yeah what Gator said,,,,,,,,, so your old school thats the way it should be...
and Thank You Troops!

gary b

Postby gary b » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:40 pm

on the old car we just let the air down in the tires and set it on the floor. but it was a 250 inch car. the dove tail in the trailer let it set down under the motor. tore the floor up bad. guess i'll invest in a bladder. broke dad

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:46 pm

Ha,ha, try to save you guys some money and headache and look what I get! You ignore me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Front engine must be a dirty word around here huh? Not even one response. :lol: :lol: :lol: Bet I get one this time! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Mon May 01, 2006 12:06 am

Any of you guys hear anything???? I thought maybe I heard some static from the way back machine???? Hummm, guess not. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

Return to “Tech Questions”