How do I get Pickup leaf spring traction?

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
chevyv8_power
How do I get Pickup leaf spring traction?

Postby chevyv8_power » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:31 pm

I have a 1975 C10 chevy pickup that I drag race. I am having a traction problem. The truck originally had a 350 but now has a 454 so I swapped in some 454 front springs from another pickup. The front seems stiff but maybe that is OK. What do you think?
It is a short wide box truck. The shocks are street style. There is no sway bar. I do have 30x9 hoosier slicks which seem to give good bite off the line but mid-track in the 1/8 mile the truck starts spinning. I don't really notice any front end lift or anything. I was planning on removing some leafs out of the leaf springs and adding traction bars for increased squatting. Is this what I should be after? I need to keep the leaf springs because of budget. I have seen drag shocks available for the front. Should I go back to the 350 springs in the front? The front end is lighter than a stock 454.

Danny White

truck

Postby Danny White » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:48 pm

Is this a race only truck. If it is a race only truck. I suggest adjustable race shocks 70/30 on the front, 50/50 on the back. On our race car in the avatar it has those shocks, plus air bags, and a sway bar.

We have it set up like a poor mans four link. That is only a 267 with a 2 barrell causing all that lift. so it works!

But air bags or ballast could help you with the truck, trucks have terrible weight transfer

chevyv8_power

Postby chevyv8_power » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:18 pm

I think I will look into getting the drag shocks as this is a race only truck.
Danny, you are talking about the rear suspension only right?
I am trying to do as much weight ballast from the front to the rear that I can.
What do you guys think softening the rear suspension? Should I soften the front also?

Maritime Drag Racing

Postby Maritime Drag Racing » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:33 pm

Move the driver's side spring to the inside of the passenger's side frame rail and vice versa. Relocate the shocks to the inside and it gets you 14X32's on a Chevy pickup with a minimum of effort.

chevyv8_power

Postby chevyv8_power » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:28 pm

Would it help to put the softer small block springs in the front so it starts out lower and rises on launch?

Return to “Tech Questions”