to prime or not to prime????

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Big Erik
to prime or not to prime????

Postby Big Erik » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:21 pm

guys, just about ready to go racing for the year and this winter I went to a dry sump setup.......my dad runs one and he always takes the belt off and runs the pump over and primes the motor if the car sits for a week or so but if he is at a two day race he primes it the first day then not the rest of the weekend........so far the few times i have had mine running i have primed it all cept for last night when i unloaded it it was threatening rain and I was by myself . pushing it was out of the question so I didn't wanna get wet so i cranked her over it didn't turn a couple times and she had pressure.....in fact it came up faster than it did with the barnes setup i ran......I have buddies who both prime the motor first time every weekend and ones that do not........do ya have to do this all the time or not?/ not really a big deal but when i am by myself it'd be nicer to not have to do it all the time........any theories?/.......now mind you mine is not a pro stock motor either........ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

jed5161

Postby jed5161 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:35 pm

all esle fails its a little extra insurance. When we had dry sump on our supergas camaro, did primed it after oil changes and if it sat for a long period of time. Our blown hemi and even our alan johnson olds headed motor, we lubed rockers and pushrods before first fire up of every day. Anyways on our camaro, we had one of them accu-sump tanks. ABOSOLUTLY loved it for priming up at first of day. Had a on/off valve on it. Shut it off while motor has oil pressure and it'll hold it til you open er up. It was nice.

Anyways...like i said...i kinda see it as an insurance plan to lube up before running it. I dont see why it'd make much difference since wet sumps self prime.

I'm curious to see what everyone else says tho...my eyes are open ;)
Jared Micetich
Top Dragster 5161

www.myspace.com/jed5161

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:56 pm

thanks and I too am curious it ain';t a big deal to do and i'll do it especially after it sits for awhile ebtween running but in the instance like yeasterday Iw as by myself rain was coming(or so i thought never did rain!) so iw anted to get her inside as quicka s possible.......soooooooo i fired her up and drove her in........ERIK

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:33 pm

I always crank mine with the mag switched off until I get oil pressure. I usually do on the first fire of the day, and if I've changed oil or had the filter apart between runs.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:38 pm

Belt off...Prime

We always felt better doing that, along with pre-heating the water And Oil.
www.wallybell.com

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:23 am

thanks gator......thats my plan.......I was just wondering if it would be detremental to it if i have to start it without priming it as in the case the other day.........we have gully washers here that blow up out of nowhere and i'd hate to get caught out in one tryin to prime the motor .......not just getting wet but getting the car douched.......she's not real water tight......... :lol: ERIK

Return to “Tech Questions”