Oil level in Tow rig

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
go300mph
Oil level in Tow rig

Postby go300mph » Thu May 15, 2008 1:12 pm

I have a Chevy 454 gas,(oh god), which I tow my dragster around with, the dipstick is incorrect and i wondered how high should the oil level be? I know the Oil pick-up is 1/2" to 3/4" away from the bottom of the deep end. So it is definately submerged and hell its a tow rig so there is no cavitating when i hit the chutes so?
Any tips or tricks ?
Mick
Always Snug up the 'ol Anti-Submarine belt

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:49 pm

If it's stock it holds 5 qts. So, I would do an oil change, put 5 qts. in and then check the dipstick. If it's wrong, re-mark the new oil level on the stick. Goota' to go. :idea:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu May 15, 2008 10:40 pm

it's a chevy.. if you see any oil on the hash marks you are good.. if you fill it to the full mark it will get consumed until it finds it's happy spot
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri May 16, 2008 8:37 am

Keep the engine "as cool as possible", nice free exhaust.....20x50 oil ..(keep it changed often),use the extra long filter......the cast crank,cast pistons 454 will give you pretty good service...( a Good Oil additive too..Lucas is good..good old STP ..not bad

Oh yeah...... we put a lot (a ton) of miles on 5 454 dually's. (well over half a million miles)
We Learned that maintainence was mandatory.

"Pay me now or Pay me later" Fram commercial comes to mind.

PLease..Buy a new dipstick..for your own good...( or as stated above, mark the one you have)

Spend hundreds to save thousands.....good rule with a tow vehicle.
www.wallybell.com

go300mph

Oil level in Tow rig

Postby go300mph » Fri May 16, 2008 10:10 am

seems the old girl will find a happy place by consumming any excess oil, ends up at about the add mark on the dip stick, has big filter and oil cooler, so oil and filter change only equates to about 4 qts but holds about 6 qts total.
Thanks for the input.
What I really want to know is should the oil level be just below the rear main seal or where the rear main cap meets the pan or ?
mick
Always Snug up the 'ol Anti-Submarine belt

Return to “Tech Questions”