Valve question/problem

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
paintertom
Valve question/problem

Postby paintertom » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:23 pm

I am running aluminum heads with bronze guides and Manley titanium valves and thick cast Dart valve covers and pan evacuators. The problem is if the car sits for a couple weeks or longer the valve stems above the guides start to corrode and I end up with valves sticking like this last time and when we started it I bent 2 push rods and broke 2. Question is, could the heavy cast valve cover be keeping in condensation and corroding the valve stems, this has happened twice and both times we have had to wd40 and scotch pad the valve stems just to get them out of the heads. Would sheet metal valve covers help this problem coz when I take the breathers out sometimes it is milky but the oil always drains clear with no moisture so it all seems to be in the top end.--
www.paintertom.com

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:58 pm

It's been many years since I messed with alcohol, but could the oil be (alky) contaminated? Alcohol likes to attract moisture. :?:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:05 pm

My guess too......
www.wallybell.com

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:26 pm

Not sure if you are experiencing the same thing as i did back a lot of years ago....but I too had "go-jo" in my valve covers....(stamped steel w/ chrome plating).....never saw any evidence that it was affecting the main supply of oil...but would sho make a white mess inside the covers.....and would clean your hands as good if not better than store-bought go-jo.... :roll:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Eric David Bru

Postby Eric David Bru » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:17 am

Tom,

Are you dropping the oil out of the car between events?

Also, while the car is sitting in the pits between rounds or any other slack time, leave the valve covers off and let the alcohol vapors evaporate.

EDB
Outlaw Eric :cool:

paintertom

Postby paintertom » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:49 pm

I didn't make myself clear.....lol......My car runs on gas...you know the parts cleaner stuff.......Yes Eric I do change oil between events and it seems from other folks that taking the valve covers off might be the thing to do and flush the drive train with either Marvel Oil or Gibbs.
Thank you everyone for responding, thats what is great about this sport and it's people.....Tom
www.paintertom.com

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:00 pm

Marvel is great stuff...
www.wallybell.com

Return to “Tech Questions”