nos question

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
mr.monte racing
nos question

Postby mr.monte racing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:04 pm

hey guys. I have a SBC 421 with 14:1 compression, I've ran a 250 h.p shot thru it a couple time without any problems. Like most guys I'd like to go a little faster, so I'm considering running a dual stage single plate which would give me a 150 shot out of the hole and then an additional 200 shot going down the track, for a total of 350 .
I know its a hard question to answer but given he fact that 400 Chevy small blocks dont have a lot of room between cylinders etc. I'm wondering if Im pushing the envelope too much, I hate to break it. Im at 10.40 with 259 shot and would like to get close to the 9's. I should also mention that The cam really isnt ground for big NOS applications. I'm very inexperianced with NOS at this point. Thanks for any comments
I used to have a handle on life, then it broke

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:29 am

Welcome to the board. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:04 am

Welcome...

What are the jet sizes on your Present system......?
www.wallybell.com

mr.monte racing

Postby mr.monte racing » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Gator, the car is loaded up already for Muscle Car Shootout in Brainerd Minn. this weekend. I'm not sure of the exact jet sizes for the NOS, but it computes out to 250.h.p.
I've launched right out of the hole about 4 times so far and had no problems, the plugs looked good also. half my friends say "Leave it the way it is and you wont break anything" the others say "go for it and bring a shovel for the parts if you break "

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:33 am

run it as is I would say..but, if you want to tune it up a bit..i may have an idea on the one system....(i'm not into "computing HP" ) ,But Torque increase..yes.
Nitrous is Torque.gobs of it.
www.wallybell.com

mr.monte racing

Postby mr.monte racing » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:47 am

Thats cool, I'm open to any and all ideas.

Pappy1

Postby Pappy1 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:52 pm

welcome to the board Monte. Gator won't steer you wrong, he knows his stuff. He's helped me out quite a bit.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:26 pm

Welcome
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

mr.monte racing

Postby mr.monte racing » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:39 am

Well, the car ran o.k. at Muscle Car Shootout this weekend. I Stayed with the 250. rather than put the dual shot on. I was launching hard, but me and several friends experienced selonoid problems, sometime the NOS would work, some times it wouldnt.I wound up breaking something in the rearend, probably the spider gears. I think a 250 shot  launching my 3875 ln. car is pretty violent. My next step is to install a spool in the rearend. I never saw the 10.40 I wanted but saw 1 10.53 @ 128 mph. A nice 67 Camaro litterally stood his car on the bumper, came down so hard the carburator went thue the hood. All the pics will be posted on  egleye photography tomorrow.

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:21 pm

as said before Gator will not steer ya wrong!!.........even though i have been running my fogger for a couple years i am still in the "sneak up on it mode"........I run a totally different deal than what you have.....my motor is a 572 in a top sportsman car.(400 hp nitrous)however what i have learnd is i ran a lenco with a clutch forever this season i have broken all mmy stuff and in an effort to keep racing we put my dad's glide in the car and his converter.......first off he figured his "nitrous" converter woudl not be right for my smaller motor (hs is a 632).......so we tried a different one.....and 8" it smoked it.......so we went with his 9-1/2" nitrous one and it works awesome.......so i"d say it fiw the rear with some stouter parts.stay witht he nitrous tune up you have and maybe talk to someone(we use BTE) about a nitrous style converter in the car.maximize the stuff you already have.......like gator says NOS=TORQUE!!.with that comes rpm's too..........as for the solenoid troubles........ya sure it wasn't the full throttle switch??.........mine used to moveever so slightly and it would turn onand off as i hit bumps in the track!!...........thats a wild ass ride!!..............also watch it if yer running a non o-ringed block and regular head gaskets.nitrous or any power adder I supppose makes cylinder pressure........the weakest link I have found is the head gasket.good luck ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

Return to “Tech Questions”