Need new cam for street/strip

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Jack60
Need new cam for street/strip

Postby Jack60 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:44 pm

Have 350, Brodix heads and intake, I wiped #4 exhaust value cam lobe so need a new cam.
The cam that is in the car now, was in when I bought the car and I don't know brand or grind, just that it is a solid lifter and would rev to the MSD rev-limiter 7000. It was really too much for the street and that's where my 60 Vette is most of the time.
I was thinking of going to a roller cam because of the new oil not having enough zine, has anybody tried a Comp GK-Kit, I know it will not rev as high as the old cam but I should have abit more on the lower end.
When I'm on the highway doing 75 I'm only taching about 1900rpm, have TKO-600 and 3:70 gears
Thanks for any help....... Jack
Have a driver.

Leon

Postby Leon » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:29 pm

Vettes are fun. Ive owned a few. I wouldnt own a comp. Call Bob at Howards Cams.Tell him i sent ya.If Bob is busy,talk to John in the shop.A roller unless its a hydraulic roller would be added expense. A flat tappet would be just fine.Stick with solids.Check out the factory grinds and stay fairly close to their specs.

My427stang

Postby My427stang » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:21 am

I wouldnt go hyd roller if you are accustomed to spinning the motor and want to keep doing that.

They are just too heavy and difficult to control. If its a toy, I'd go solid roller and cam that with a modern tight lash grind. You just may find 50+ hp, maybe even more, over your prior setup.

Now if you are willing to drop the shift point to 6000 or so, and you do plan to use it as more of a toy. I'd look at the Comp Xtreme Energy line of hyd roller cams.

Hebert doesnt grind cams, and as far as I know his stuff is very old tech. I'd shoot for something a little more modern.

Another option is to go flat tappet with the EDM oil hole, it would be the cheapest and pushes oil right out the bottom of the lifter onto the lobe. The only critical time is during break in, and if you light it off quick it wont have a problem

If you can tell us compression ratio, I'd be happy to give you my 2 cents on a cam grind. It's no small feat to get a SBC to run chugging in 5th and still pull hard on top, but there are some options. I run the same TKO/3.70 setup in mine, but it has 489 cid to help when I drop it in 5th LOL
70 Mustang FB, 489 inch FE, TKO-600
71 F-100 4x4 SB hot rod truck, 390
07 HD Street Glide
08 F250 4x4 CC 6.4 diesel (love them diesel prices)

racerhog

Postby racerhog » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:58 pm

60103 VooDoo Cam....Just My 2 cents
Bob(Cowboy)Hogan

Return to “Tech Questions”