72 Ford maverick set-back dimensions

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
al_inbancroft
72 Ford maverick set-back dimensions

Postby al_inbancroft » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:35 pm

Hello everyone,
Looking for a recomended set-back length on the above car. Car will be 25.2 SFIround tube 4-link.
While measuring I had 23 3/4" from the door opening to rear axle center-line. This may give ya some idea on proportion.
Wheelbase is 102". Anybody have a formula or recomendation?
Car will have a BBF and automatic.
Thanks.
Al
If in doubt, just floor it!

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:28 pm

Al,

I've got a 94" wheelbase with ladder bars. My car's probably a bit heavier that what you have there and you'll probably have more tire that I do. I don't know what my setback is offhand, but I can measure it if that'll help.

Perry

al_inbancroft

Postby al_inbancroft » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks Perry,
I figured it out today. One of those things that was RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!, while figuring something else! :roll: :wink:
Im in the design stage now. Plan a 16X33-15 tire. Drivetrain will be a 557ford with PG.
My first step will be to make a main-hoop templete. Then see if it will go back without interference from inside the body.Then use different wheel-can diameters (cardboard) to check for inside body and tire clearance. Once I figure how much clearance I need between the can and tire. That should give me my setback allowance to work with. Since the can will be mounted flush with back of the cage. :idea: :!:

How much travel is there on a standard coilover?

Also can anybody suggest how much wheel tub clearance between tires?

Thanks.
Al

al_inbancroft

Postby al_inbancroft » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:41 pm

By the way Perry,
Was your car ever red? Reason asking, I remember seeing one at a Shell station sitting parked on hwy-2 in the Avon-lake area. Dont remember if it was a prefect or anglia though.
Was there at the old abandened Freuhauf site while ford was building the van plant there in 89

Regards.
Al

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Al is it a street car or strictly race only?

Drag car can be pretty close from the inside rail to the tire, around an inch or so.

If it is a street car I would try for 2-inches or more if possible.

Try to allow 4-inches or so for tire height growth. JMO :D

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:51 am

Al - my car came out of Washington state, so it's not that one.

I've only got like 3/4" (if that :roll: ) sidewall clearance on my tubs and fenders and they don't rub. I run a wishbone so it can't move around too much. I agree with Randy, if this is a street car I'd allow more for going over the rolls and bumps you'll encounter out there.

Diameter-wise I wish I had a bigger tub. I've got less than 2 inches between the tire and the front of the tub. It polishes the tub now and then :oops: - not bad, but it hits. I've only got 29" tires - your 33's will grow a bit more.

Perry

al_inbancroft

Postby al_inbancroft » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks guys,
It will strictly be a strip car Randy.
Looks like some more mock-ups and measuring are in order, Im close!

Thanks.
Al

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:57 am

Al...
There is no real rule of thumb on the distance between tubs on the inside of a racecar.....however, taking into consideration either ladder bar or four link suspension, "I" like to allow about an inch of clearance for the suspension bars to travel their arc. The rear end housing "pumpkin" will be a determining factor for the width of the suspension brackets.....Hope this helps.....
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 am

Also....the more clearance you have above the tires (inside the tubs) the better....those 16x33's WILL grow at speed. And if the tires hit the tubs, then it will slow you down. A 44" diameter tub would not be too big......Good Luck 8)
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Return to “Tech Questions”