OK I have a question

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:59 pm

all i know about the engine is its a 72 350 olds cast .020 over replacements bargain rebuild kit..hyd olds street cam with stock style fulcrum valve train...some cheap headers, th350 with a street convertor and 4.10 gear, edelbrock dual plane intake and recent holley dp with air cleaner under a stock hood...still running stock water pump,clutch fan and altenator.all metal and glass and vinly top.... rear seat removed,carpet and pass bucket seat is out :evil: ...full original bumpers and power windows... a/c system removed.power sterring bypassed at the box....still has enough manifold vacuem to stop the powe brakes like a street car :roll:

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:26 pm

Maybe some unleaded premium and 104plus?
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:13 pm

yep.. thats what i've been telling him for 3 years...just because racer X puts this in the tank meanms nothing to me...when he first built this car for his son it was a 14 flat car... just from conversation and advise,and recommended gear change (at his expense ) by me and putting some timing in it we are at the present level of performance... jeez there are a hundred things i'd like to do.. but Don is at the stage of thinking about selling the car as is and you know it's hard to recoup investment on a deal like this....too bad you allready sold your holley jets to Robbie :lol:

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:29 pm

JS, usually chassis is ET, and Horse Power is MPH,,,,to an extent anyway.

Did you guys put on new slicks? You said the starting line was redone, that would explain part of it. For some reason the car is working better.

I agree with you two guys, that the air came to your tune-up to help out some. However with the mph being down, it wasn't making as much hp as normal without the racegas.

The car should always run faster in the spring and the later fall due to the air temps droping off in the evening
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:52 pm

yea hey Randy thanks for droppin in.... the air had to be incredible.. buit the high winds were brutal also.. the only thing changed at the track was the burnout boxes...my basic question is can you over octane a street motor ?? chemically speaking....other than the weather conditions, the fuel we mixed was the only change made..same tires as last season other than a tube in yhe left rear after picking up a staple in it :roll: :lol:

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:45 am

"Some" motors don't give a fig about what kind of gas they have in 'em, Jim.....back a hunnert years ago...mine would run the same thing regarless of what gas was in it...whether that was race/av or pump .....but then again.....my chassis, etc., had "issues".....who knows....

as for the speed..........
there are times when a quicker e.t. WILL be "slower" than a slower e.t.

case in point.....
a buddy of mine drove my car (the ONLY other person beside me) one night and went a 6.65 @ 109..........after cooling it down.....I went out and ran a 6.44 @ 106...(not sure if weight had any bearing on those numbers...but I weigh'd 155....He weigh'd 320.....)
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

flyinhillbilly

Postby flyinhillbilly » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:42 pm

yea hey Randy thanks for droppin in.... the air had to be incredible.. buit the high winds were brutal also.. the only thing changed at the track was the burnout boxes...my basic question is can you over octane a street motor ?? chemically speaking....other than the weather conditions, the fuel we mixed was the only change made..same tires as last season other than a tube in yhe left rear after picking up a staple in it :roll: :lol:
jim, the car i was running last year was a 1983 pontiac gran prix g body just like the cutlass, i had a vortec 350 with a xr276hr cam, and flat tops cr worked out to 8.91, i swear that thin ran better on 87 than 110, to the tune of a tenth and a half no kidding, i only ran race gas when i was sprayin the pile

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:25 am

"Some" motors don't give a fig about what kind of gas they have in 'em, Jim.....back a hunnert years ago...mine would run the same thing regarless of what gas was in it...whether that was race/av or pump .....but then again.....my chassis, etc., had "issues".....who knows....

as for the speed..........
there are times when a quicker e.t. WILL be "slower" than a slower e.t.

case in point.....
a buddy of mine drove my car (the ONLY other person beside me) one night and went a 6.65 @ 109..........after cooling it down.....I went out and ran a 6.44 @ 106...(not sure if weight had any bearing on those numbers...but I weigh'd 155....He weigh'd 320.....)
Was talking to that same buddy last night....and we remembered something else about those passes.....our 60' times were identical....1.45's :? :?
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:33 pm

let the car wander a bit...the longer it takes, the faster yo go...sometimes
www.wallybell.com

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:02 pm

:lol: yea Mr. G... I've been wondering,wandering etc. ever since i hooked up with Don the Driver on this car :roll:

Return to “Tech Questions”