What Brand of Slicks?

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Rapid Randy Baker
What Brand of Slicks?

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:02 pm

I like the M/T's they have a lot longer life span, like double the Goodyears. We get 20-runs then change them out. Last year after coming home from Great Bend, we had 25-runs on them, they were working perfect still and I had a new set waiting in the shop for when we needed them.

When we cleaning the debris off, one of the crew guys says, "Hey Rapid, take a look. This looks weird." I went and looked,,,and said, "Whats the matter, you've never seen the cords showing on a set of slicks before?"

My last pass was what 6.80/6.90 at 200MPH with the damn cords showing!

We didn't pick up on it at the track as on the return road there was a bunch of mowed grass which stuck to the slicks.

So anyway my take is to use Mickey's. Hoosiers will shake your brains out, and Goodyears don't last as long. JMO

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:03 pm

I'm going to try M&H this year.

The car had Hoosier's when I bought it. (OK, I'll quietly admit that they were DOT slicks, but they were on it and I ran 'em...) They hooked pretty well untill I turned up the motor.

When I went to get new ones, M/T didn't make any that would fit in my fenders, so I was left with Goodyear, Hoosier and M&H. My buddy swears by Goodyear - but that's all he's ever run. I've heard that Hoosiers work well until they don't - that they go away very quickly.

I thought I'd try M&H's - just for the heck of it.

Perry

Mtn.man

Postby Mtn.man » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:05 pm

sticky ones
Walk softly, carry a Big Gun
and Thank You Troops!

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:26 pm

Prior to me joining the team. They had alot of problems getting it down the track.

I was just as you said, the tires were fine, they would make a few runs. It would start acting up, they would change things around to band-aid it. Finally would get so bad, they couldn't do anything with it, went right one time and left the next.

When they put new tires on it, solved it everytime. Then when the tires started going bad again, same deal.

Unfortunately since they were to close to it, they didn't see the forest for the trees until later when I was discussing the cars history with Scott.

The light bulb went on. :)
NITRO PILOT

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:54 pm

slightly off topic but reminded me ... when i was managing the service station and we needed a new wheel balancer.... i had seen the snap-on unit being used in the goodyear tent so we bought one... never had a problem.. still have it here in the shop...basic spin it up by hand and hang the weights... 20+ years... what is used nowdays ?

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:15 pm

I really don't know for sure Doc. For the last quite a few years one of my sponsors has mounted and balanced all my tires for me. It seems like he has a red computer spin balancer. I don't think I ever looked at a name on it.

Then a couple of years ago, we went to the beadlocks. We just mount them ourselves, and don't balance them at all.

He is still a sponsor so next time I stop by to see him I will check it out for you. He does a ton of the Hot Rod stuff and big alum wheels.
NITRO PILOT

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:27 pm

when i saw the unit in use at indy (actually 3 of them) they were balancing everything from prostock, pro comp to fuel cars... i think we bought ours in 84-85 ? pretty basic low maintence unit as long as the transformer don't fall out of the wall plug :roll:

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:23 am

We've got an old static bubble balancer - it works better than nothing. We balance the rear tires on the FED and now he can see clearly coming up on the traps....

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:03 am

I didn't know you were supposed to be looking when you drove these things,,,,Humm,,,I wonder what it would be like if I opened my eyes during a run one of these days. :shock:
NITRO PILOT

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:00 am

We've got an old static bubble balancer - it works better than nothing. We balance the rear tires on the FED and now he can see clearly coming up on the traps....
they work fine(bubble)
At the very least...bubble balance mounted slicks.........
I found some way out of balance tires occasionally

GoodYears ...loved 'em :)
great big ones
www.wallybell.com

Return to “Tech Questions”