Marion County FC Nationals

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
OhioDave
Marion County FC Nationals

Postby OhioDave » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Was great seeing everyone yesterday. Wheelz keep up the good work, will be 100% soon. Good racing considering the heat, humidity and a few raindrops. Event keeps getting bigger and bigger. Zappy send me a pm if you want your cardio pic. Pics posted soon

Zappy

Re: Marion County FC Nationals

Postby Zappy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:56 am

It was DLN-OHIO, I tell ya. :shock: I got to see Ohio Dave, 23T & Heidi, Wheelz & Sharon, Rocky & Bandit, Rocky's crew,Photog Bob W., Denny, Mark & Kelly, Kirt and Chuck (my one and only fan). :lol: :lol:
BP asked if I would try reporting so here goes: (WARNING) We didn't stay for the final so I have NO idea. But to give you a little taste here goes.

1st rd inj. fc - track temp was 99 it was 7:30PM
no name Vette W 8.92.................POISON ARROW W 8.59....................ILLINOIS PATROL W 9.20
GLORY DAZE L 9.73...................RAIN MAKER L 9.29.........................No money no Funny L 10.29

now the blown fc
Don Gerardot W 8.79..................Old & Fuelish W 7.56....................Orange Vette W 7.54
Miss Behavior L 8.88...................Tweety's Rat L 7.70.....................Damn Yankee L 8.31

Shell Shock W 7.56.....................Screamin Eagle W 7.45..................Total Insanity W 7.51
Solid Rock L 7.95.......................Dazed & Confused L 7.52...............Red Barn L 7.43

Sweetman Bros. W 7.36................Rollin Stoned W 7.33....................Snakebite W 6.87-203
Blue Thunder L 8.76....................Fuelish L 8.87............................War Path - NT

Red Barron W 7.99.....................John Troxel W 7.88......................Susie Q W 7.52
Sharky's Machine NT....................Dixie Twister (broke)....................Blown Money L 8.33

Now picture this: Rocky in his SLOID ROCK MUSTANG backs up after his burn-out, then from just behind the line, HAMMERS IT. Not a dry hop, but a dry launch, about 150 ft. WAAAY COOOOL !!! Haven't seen that in years. Later Dixie Twister did one carring the front wheels for about 75 ft. Man it was the mid- '70's again.
After his dry-launch Rocky & Shell Shock took turns dry-hoping to the line, first one, then the other, left-right-left-right, it was poetry in motion. There were several cars that made 500 ft smoky burn-outs that John Force would have been proud of.

I checked the time after 1st rd, it was 8:38. Yes one hr and 8 min. of non stop FC action. And I mean "non-stop" no one hit the guard rail - no one took out any center cones, no one ran off the end, no one oiled the track. A testiment to the track prep & the quality of drivers & cars that Denny has.
Then near 11PM they all came back again RD. 2. Without listing all, let me just say that Snakebite backed up his first Rd 6.87-203 with an even better 6.78 - 206. Rd 2 ended near midnite. I figured the final would be around 1:30AM, so with two young grandkids & a 3hr drive I thought we better call it a night.

"Z"

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:05 am

Thanks, Zappy! This is great! Here are photos from Ohio Dave and Big Bob Snyder:

Ohio Dave...

http://www.draglist.com/artman2/publish ... 2011.shtml

Big Bob Snyder...

http://draglist.smugmug.com/Drag-Racing ... 13_rD6Btmt
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

CraftyGirl

Postby CraftyGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:38 am

FYI - there was no final round for the funny cars, it got rained (or more like monsooned) out. Had a huge rain storm hit around 1 a.m. and it didn't let up for about an hour and a half!
Had a great time hanging out with the "Riff Raff" photographers, DJ and Charlotte, OH Dave, Wheelz and his Mrs., and Zappy, PJ and the kids. I even got Jacob to do a little dance for me. :mrgreen:

A special thanks to Rocky, Jim and Steve for letting us be part of their crew again! Daryl got to tow Rocky up to the line and also got to be towed back to the pits inside the Evil Mach I. I passed on the Oberg duties but found my calling as the official tow vehicle horn honker. 8)

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:31 am

Horn honkers are important, Heidi!!

Thanks for the report, Zappy!! It's the only one I have seen posted so far. The unnamed injected Vette is the Shyster owned by the Hallet family and driven by Nick Tilley.
The Don Gerardot car and lil Misbehavior are also injected cars.

RickO

Postby RickO » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 am

We're glad the alky-heaven event was a success! Thanks for the times and photos!
RO
Texas Yankee

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for the clairification Rocky, with no name on the side it's tough if ya don't know who's who. We got caught in that heavy rain Daryl shortly after we left and wondered if it hit the track> Man did it come down. Driving about 35mph. Lightining so bright it was like flash bulbs going off.

Well being as there was no final, I'll give ya RD2 then the report will be complete:
RD 2 INJ:
Poison Arrow 8.13..............Nick Tilly/Shyster Vette W 8.38.........................Don Gerardot W 9.17
Illinois Patrol 12.10.............Miss Behavior L 8.80......................................Glory Daze L 9.63

BLOWN Rd 2:
Red Barn W 7.30...............Damn Yankee W 7.37...............................Orange Vette W 8.13
War Path L 8.73................Rollin Stoned L 7.70.................................Blown Money (lost fire)

Shell Shock W 7.66...............Total Insanity W 8.14............................Snakebite W 6.76-206
Old Fuelish L 7.45................ Fuelish L 7.87....................................Screamin Eagle7.66

Red Barron 8.12-169..............Dazed & Confuesed 7.43.......................Susie Q 8.20
Solid Rock 8.46-167................Tweety's Rat 7.58..............................Blue Thunder (no time)

Dixie Twister (singled) 14.64
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Also Daryl made multiple Wheels-up passes in the yellow cart, in between driving the chase truck for Rocky.
Daryl had the sparkler fountains flowin and the skid pads lighting up the track much to the crowds delight.

Marion is an "old style" track, meaning you can get "up close & personal" to the race cars. More than once I felt the air out the pipes blow my hat as they passed me on their burn-out. Yeah I was THAT CLOSE.!!! 8) 8) 8)

Well that was my weekend, last week was E'Ville, this week the NIGHT OF FIRE @ Norwalk, Kinda Zaps TRI-FECTA 3 in a row.

Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks again, Zappy. I had no idea what anyone else ran till I read your report. I'm sure Denny or someone will post them elsewhere once they get rested.

CraftyGirl

Postby CraftyGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:29 pm

I can't open Dave's photos? Anyone else? :?:
They open fine for me Jack. :?

Return to “What's Up”