Tools

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
overdriv
Tools

Postby overdriv » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:37 pm

I've got to buy some tools to use on my engine. I need a valve spring checker that will stand up to some pretty heavy springs. And probably something to compress the springs for remove/replace. I have T&D Machine pedistal mount rockers on a BBC. The engine has been setting for about 1 1/2 years and I'd like to check the springs before I put it in service, so i have a base line.

What have you used that works well?

Manley Nextec springs, how long should I run them before changing them? Cam has .700+ lift. They have 60 1/4 mile runs on them now. Max RPM was at the finish line, 7500.
God Bless Our Troops!

overdriv

Re: Tools

Postby overdriv » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Not a very prolific forum I guess.
God Bless Our Troops!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi OD. I don't have the expertise to answer your question, but maybe one of our racers will know. Post a link to this question in the What's Up forum and you might have a better chance at getting attention... bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

SLICK VIC

Postby SLICK VIC » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:30 pm

I dont see what type of motor you are running other than its a BBC,..Info to motor is pertnant when asking such questions.
As for your springs it depends on if your blown or naturally aspirated for one, and also what kind of installed hights you are running for coil bind at full lift.

If blown roots blower CLOSED seat pressure could be any where from 340 to 450,.. what does the cam manufacturer suggest for springs..
if carberated or mechanicle fuel injected,.CLOSED seat pressure rates for that type of lift is around 220 to 250 lbs psi.

MY BBC naturally aspirated BBC with dart pro1 heads and a cam of .817/.774 284/288 112 lc calls for 250 lb closed seat pressure I toss the springs
out if they get below 230 lbs closed seat pressure, you can also shim the spring up .010-.020 thousandths as long as you dont run into coil bind.

Hope this helps,....but also helps knowing what your motor info is too.

Vic

Oh and as far as tools, for checking your closed seat pressure on the head you can go as cheap as Moroso`s checker or as expensive as Ora Vasquez`s on the
head spring checker,..
For changing your spring on the motor just feed a piece of 1/4 inch rope into spark plug and bring piston up near to top dead center.
http://www.vicmillerracing.com/
SMOLDERY SMOKEY BURNOUTS TO YOU ALL

overdriv

Postby overdriv » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:24 pm

I dont see what type of motor you are running other than its a BBC,..Info to motor is pertnant when asking such questions.
As for your springs it depends on if your blown or naturally aspirated for one, and also what kind of installed hights you are running for coil bind at full lift.

If blown roots blower CLOSED seat pressure could be any where from 340 to 450,.. what does the cam manufacturer suggest for springs..
if carberated or mechanicle fuel injected,.CLOSED seat pressure rates for that type of lift is around 220 to 250 lbs psi.

MY BBC naturally aspirated BBC with dart pro1 heads and a cam of .817/.774 284/288 112 lc calls for 250 lb closed seat pressure I toss the springs
out if they get below 230 lbs closed seat pressure, you can also shim the spring up .010-.020 thousandths as long as you dont run into coil bind.

Hope this helps,....but also helps knowing what your motor info is too.

Vic

Oh and as far as tools, for checking your closed seat pressure on the head you can go as cheap as Moroso`s checker or as expensive as Ora Vasquez`s on the
head spring checker,..
For changing your spring on the motor just feed a piece of 1/4 inch rope into spark plug and bring piston up near to top dead center.
The engine is a BBC 565 TD NA on E85.

Cam is a Reher-Morrison 420-116. Springs are Manley Nextek. See attachments for the cam & spring specs.
Nextek.JPG
RM cam.JPG
RM cam.JPG (218.32KiB)Viewed 37312 times
Also, I know how to check them and know how to change them. I just don't have the tools to handle springs of that stiffness. I was just wondering what you guys use and if you would buy them again.
Thanks!
God Bless Our Troops!

SLICK VIC

Postby SLICK VIC » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:01 pm

WOW,..!!!! Thats alot of spring on both sides,...and for N/A.... are you shooting nitrous into your motor or something..???

Im surprised you dont have a 1.625 or larger spring diameter for that motor,...your cam is really close to mine.

On head valve spring changer,..just google that exactly you will find your tool.

:D
http://www.vicmillerracing.com/
SMOLDERY SMOKEY BURNOUTS TO YOU ALL

overdriv

Postby overdriv » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:13 pm

No nitrous. I will Google. Thanks.
God Bless Our Troops!

stimpy

Postby stimpy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:16 pm

sorry a little late on the 469 bbc with K-1000 k motion springs , we use this type of checker checkerhttp://www.competitionproducts.com/Proform-Hea ... nfo/66775/ as it allows you to use safely check the high pressure springs , we used to use the one that goes in the drill press and after a little accident it was pitched ( actually we left it in the wall ) we mounted it to a bench and it made life a lot easier , for pulling valves on heads we use this http://www.competitionproducts.com/Prof ... nfo/66832/ never tried to fold or move around like the cheaper ones I have sen , I also use it doing a set of Cat heads for my former employer , I wish I could have afforded the air model they sold as donig 2 sets of heads makes your arms feel like rubber afterwords. the place I have the pictures from is in Oshkosh Wisconsin . and ussually takes overnite to get to Joliet .
the Groom that went Vroom At DLN IV

overdriv

Postby overdriv » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks Stimpy, I took a look at the links and that will help me decide what to buy.
God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “Tech Questions”