To spring or not to spring??

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
overdriv
To spring or not to spring??

Postby overdriv » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:39 am

Hey guys, got to buy a wheelie bar for my car and have a couple of questions for the experts on draglist.

It's a sportsman car 87 camaro backhalfed, big tires, 565 with a PG. Tell me the pros and cons of using spring loaded vs regular. Not talking about the ones with the leaf spring as the lower bar. I'm talking about the ones that have a coil spring in the top bar out next to the wheel.

Also, length, 60" will put the wheels about a foot past the rear of the car. Is that good, to short, to long.

All advice appreciated.
God Bless Our Troops!

pro70z28

Re: To spring or not to spring??

Postby pro70z28 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:55 am

I've been told a suspended car should have solid bars & a solid suspension car should have spring loaded bars. (No personal experience to back that up)

How hard do you plan to hit the bars? Longer will be less likely to unload the tires.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

SLICK VIC

Postby SLICK VIC » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:12 pm

My 92 camaro had the round tube bars with the coil spring on the uppers,..worked well
Alston chassis, 4 link, wore out shocks,..hehehe...9.28@142..1.21 60 foots ,482 bbc powerglide, 4.88`s, 32x14`s 2400 lbs

My last ET licensing pass Vido Seattle 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSbgSkqD ... r_embedded
http://www.vicmillerracing.com/
SMOLDERY SMOKEY BURNOUTS TO YOU ALL

overdriv

Postby overdriv » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:39 pm

thanks guys for the comments. I figured it is just a matter of adjusting them for the setup as with anything else. How hard am I going to hit the bars...well I'd like to get it set to leave with the front wheels just barely touching the ground and drive straight down the track with no surprises. This will be my first car with this much power so it will be a slow learning curve I'd imagine.
God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “Tech Questions”