Look What The Cat Drug In

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
WildcatOne
Re: Look What The Cat Drug In

Postby WildcatOne » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:37 pm

This is all good advice and I've taken it in. I'm going to set up a doctor's appointment soon. At this point I'm speculating and it's not getting to the source of the problem...just griping about it at this point, ya know.

I'm still 100% on my musical ability and graphics...it's been the life functions that have jammed up on me. I'll find out what's going on here. Thanks. WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:51 am

I can relate on the head-whack deal, Cat...did it to myself not once but twice last week...Last Sunday, I was doing a lettering job on a buddy of mine's tow truck. He had the "stinger" at about half mast, with the extension level to the floor (just about head high) I was trying to get to the opposite side of the truck, looking down at my feet and that stinger crossbar(the part that goes underneath the frontend of a car or truck and attaches to the tires) popped me in the head right above the bill of my cap. I uttered a few colorful words, and did a little bit of a jig across the floor (remember, I DON'T Dance!! :roll: ) and rubbed the ever increasing knot on my noggin. My buddy, Joey, claimed that the whole truck shook, and that smart ass went back to inspect the stinger to see if I had dented IT, rather than my skull :twisted:

On Tuesday, I was putting up a "Friends of Soccer" sign outside of the football stadium for our local high school. I had set up a home-made "scaffold" (legs from a trampoline, with square tube extenders and t-bolt adjusters to raise or lower the height) so I could easily walk back and forth the entire 12 foot width without having to go up and down the ladder and then move the ladder over a bit and climb again. Once again, I was needing to be elsewhere from where I was, and decided to take a direct route to where I needed to be...under the right side scaffold leg...again, I took a whack to the noggin, right above the bill of my cap. Jordan, my son, kinda giggled at his "ol' pops" for the jig and utterances that followed. Now I had not one but Two knots in the same dad-gum place, not to mention quite a dent in my skull. Fortunately, neither knot had much affect; I AM rather hard headed :roll: ...but that second whack, did succeed in making me recoil from the impact and threw my lower back outta kilter...now I just walk a little crooked. But it IS getting better.

Hang in there, Cat. Things will work out for ya 8) 8)
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:59 pm

I played a one-hour concert yesterday evening with the band at a suburban convention center and got paid a ridiculously high amount of money for what I did.
I felt guilty...we sucked...there was no atmosphere, they had the whole place lit up with fluorescent lights...it sounded terrible in there, like we were
playing in a cavern. By the time we finished they were folding up the tables and sweeping the floor up, etc...Plus, it was a fundraiser...I kept the dough. Here's why:

This was a dot-org deal. A charity company. It plays on people's kindness in the name of their charity theme and takes their tax-deductible money. They hold up a poster child to show how great it all works. They have full-time employees with degrees in marketing, a board of directors, HR, benefits, and so on. They do have influence in the community but the companies and corporations that sponsor them by pressuring their employees to contribute and volunteer are getting all the money back they put into it come tax time. There is an underlying vibe about these organizations and events that makes me uncomfortable. To me, It's just a little on the other side of straight-up helping folks.

I saw a lot of needless expense there. I also saw a lot of good intentions from the people who showed up. The guys boiling crawfish outside carried all my equipment in to the stage and back for me. The girl that won the $555 draw immediately gave it all to the organization. That was not a rich girl. She just had a good heart. It wasn't the people who attended and volunteered.

Last Sunday, we played a real benefit in another suburb at their convention center. By real benefit I mean that it was for one person, a lady in the community who really needs help with medical expenses. Everybody in that town knows her and loves her. The guy that put the whole thing together (for free...everything was donated...the convention center, the barbecue dinners, the hot rod show, the band, the auction items...ALL donated) got up there in front of the thousand people that were there when we played and said straight out...she didn't want this. We forced it on her. And he guaranteed everybody that every single penny that is raised at that benefit will go directly to her. All she ever did all her life was help everybody else, now we're helping her. Thunderous ovation followed his talk. We played our butts off, rocked the place for 2 hours for free and split. WC1
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks, John. I agree with your assessment of these deals. You're a good man for taking part. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:54 pm

This week I've been developing a concept for a guy in NC who saw a graphic I did a couple of years ago (the Nitro Madness Fiat AA/FA) that showed up on the internet a few weeks ago, I think it was a fuel altered site...he got in touch, we exchanged greetings and he told me about his project. He and his dad have a great 2006 Dodge Stratus TA/FC but he is also a deputy sherriff involved with youth projects and he wants to run this deal; he has several sponsorships in the works with law enforcement outreach programs, etc. Great guy, so I decided to give him whatever he needs for this.
Here is the third take on it, it's about 160 layers and it has elements from 7 pictures (including Rapid's motor <g> ...he uses a 4-port injector hat, though. It's an alky-altered, and his funny car runs the same engine). It's been fun working this up. It's challenging and it's giving me many thought-provoking ideas.

College of the Mainland Learning Center got in touch about hiring me in the spring to teach some Photoshop classes...I told 'em I'd do it but it's going to be according to my methods, which aren't always what the book says to do, ya know. They were cool with that. Anyway, here's Extreme Pursuit. Enjoy!

The band continues to play sold-out shows and wins over new fans every week. It's been terrific. Pee Wee's birthday is tomorrow, we're having a blast! Cheers, WC1
Attachments
Coupe2DL.jpg
Coupe2DL.jpg (182.26KiB)Viewed 12408 times
Last edited by WildcatOne on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:06 am

Great stuff, John! bp
Bill Pratt

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks...I worked on this all weekend in between a gig and making the list for the music of 1980...just now got it to a point where I can show it.

Meet my buddy Hoddie Johnson. Hoddie's a genuine cowboy. He comes out to the band's shows and dances with the ladies. He's quite a good dancer and he behaves himself like a gentleman with the women so they feel comfortable to dance all night with him. Hoddie's a great guy. His real name is Howdy. I enjoy hanging out with him because he is such an interesting guy. He brought 5 pictures to me the other night and asked me if I could make them printable. He wants to have 'em framed and hang 'em in his house. These are from the days when he rode bulls and broncos...he did that for 13 years until he got injured one too many times and he hung up his hat. But for several years he was one of the big-time guys and it's been great to hear his stories of the glory days.

Anyway, I said sure. What I didn't tell him was that I was going to colorize them. This is my first take on the first of 5:

137 layers, RGB color, many adjustments and so forth. There's an ingrained watermark across the lower fourth of the base that I plan to remove soon. That's where I matched the first and second scans together and blended 'em before flattening them.

I can't help thinking that Hoddie would have made a pretty damn good Fuel Altered driver if he'd decided to go drag racing :arrow:

Enjoy! WC1
Attachments
Hoddie5Original.jpg
Hoddie5Original.jpg (173.01KiB)Viewed 12410 times
Hoddie5Color.jpg
Hoddie5Color.jpg (176.23KiB)Viewed 12410 times
Last edited by WildcatOne on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:17 pm

Looks great, John! bp
Bill Pratt

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:49 pm

I put together this list of all the gigs I played with Pee Wee this year. It doesn't include the 5 shows I did with OTA. It was a good year! Cheers, WC1
Attachments
2011GigsDL.jpg
2011GigsDL.jpg (102.44KiB)Viewed 12357 times
Last edited by WildcatOne on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”