Pro Mod name?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
animal jim
Pro Mod name?

Postby animal jim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 am

:? Sat. at 66 a local bracket racer told me IHRA held early version of Pro Mod at Gateway in 1989. And he said they called it another name. :?: :?: And not Top Sportsman, Quick 8/16 or Pro Slammers. He said the name used transformed into Pro Modified. :?: :?: That is news to me. :o

I was at the Atco event Oct 89. (the one Walter Henry got killed) That was an IHRA Div race and featured a 16 car qualified eliminator as an example of what the class "Pro Mod" not yet officially named would be like in March at Darlington.

If I recall correctly we were still voting on a name when the Atco 89 Oct event took place.

I cannot recall what They called us on the ads for that event. I have a poster of it somewhere in my archives. 8)
It has been quite a ride!

draglist
Site Admin

Re: Pro Mod name?

Postby draglist » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Gotta defer to Bret, but i recall we went through half a dozen potential names for what to call those things on the drag lists before Bret recommended pro mod based on how the pro stock name evolved from stock. Keep in mind that Super Modified was called pro mod for a very short time when it was first originated... But that was at least ten years earlier... Bill
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

animal jim

Re: Pro Mod name?

Postby animal jim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 pm

As I recall. There were some bracket venues called Pro Mod. 8)
It has been quite a ride!

Return to “What's Up”