Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
pro70z28
Re: Racin' and Rockin'..."JB's Take"

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:10 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Erik Kollist, from Kihei, Maui, Hawaii. Erik is married to Jill Kollist,
Who I featured last year. Both were recommended to me by our friend and the admin on the 808_FUEL page, Michael Baba Balbarino. Thanks, Michael!

Erik spent the weekend at the March Meet, but he sent me some info before he left.

He doesn't do facebook on his phone so he sent me a message straight-up. He said their team hasn't raced on Maui in about 1 1/2 seasons due to their track repaving project, which is almost done. They are planning to reopen this coming April. Erik is on the track board of directors and he holds the position of vice president.

They are a race team of three cars, all in the "fast gas" class (9.99 and quicker) Jill drives the Nova as we know, and Erik’s teammate Nelson Jordet will be driving their recently acquired altered that should run low 7s.

Erik told me his only real accomplishment was in 2017 when they last raced was to build and install a 632 C.I. big block motor in his dragster and upgrade his NHRA competition license to "Advanced ET" which allows him to go as quick as 6.00 in the quarter mile.

His quickest pass to date is 7.41 at 182 MPH, which he ran in November of 2017. They were just starting to figure out the tuneup at that time so Erik is sure the dragster will go faster this year. One of Erik’s goals is to run a 6 second pass. I have no doubt you’ll get that dragster into the 6’s, Erik.

What caught my eye about this dragster is that it has a set of rear fenders and a couple of small
Headlights…no doubt to fit in the rules for the Fast Gas class, which is something I wouldn’t have thought to have done. It’s an excellently engineered car, and it shows from stem to stern that Erik thinks outside the box and pays attention to detail.

The Kollist team supports World Peace before 2021, and they promote the outstanding band Lambsbread’s music. So do I. I went to their page and checked them out, and they are worthy of worldwide recognition, not only for their music and songwriting, but for their message, which is one of universal love, unity and happiness.

Erik, we wish you good luck, safe racing, and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Erik_Kollist_Mar_11_2019_FB.jpg
Erik_Kollist_Mar_11_2019_FB.jpg (587.8KiB)Viewed 7376 times
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:48 am

Fenders, lights and open air AC. Looking good!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Good call, Wheelz! Erik's one cool guy.

My pick for Racer of the Week is Mikie Sturgill, from Beavercreek, Ohio. Mikie is running the best of both worlds as a Sportsman Racer, with his awesome ’67 Camaro ET / Super Street Hot Rod, and his ET / Super Comp dragster. He’s got it going on, and I’m proud to feature him tonight.

Mikie is a 3rd generation drag racer. He started at age 8 in the junior dragster ranks and moved up to full size cars at age 17.

The bruiser (dragster) is a 2015 Mcilvain swing arm dragster powered by a 1000hp 600 cubic inch big block Chevy with a power glide transmission.

His ’67 Camaro is a back half 4-link car with stock frame rails and stock front suspension, powered by an 800hp 477 cubic inch Big Block Chevy running through a PowerGlide transmission.

Mikie has been in countless final round appearances over his 2 decades in the driver’s seat, including a streak of 22 round wins in a row, and 25 rounds won in a row in the 2018 season. He is the 2018 NHRA Division 3 Super Pro champion, the 2018 NHRA Division 3 Race of Champions Winner, (He doubled-up and swept the weekend), a 2-time Kilkare Dragway Track Champion, and a multiple $5,000 to win or more races that he won.

His goals are to continue driving in the sport he loves, doing it with his family, and to find more companies to build a racing relationship with.

He sends thanks to HIS PARENTS, Mcilvain Race Cars, Performance Clinic, FTI Converters, Wiseco Pistons, Mark Griffith transmissions, Southland Flooring Supplies, and Bazzel Race Fuels.

Mikie, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Mikie_Sturgill_Mar_18_2019_FB.jpg
Mikie_Sturgill_Mar_18_2019_FB.jpg (500.04KiB)Viewed 6986 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:43 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Jim Usher, from Childswickham, Worcestershire, United Kingdom. Jim was recommended to me by our friend and the top guy at the Supercharged Outlaws UK group, Andy Fadster. Thanks, Andy!

Jim is the pilot of the Hemi Hunter front-engine dragster, which was launched in 1974, so it’s 2 years older than Jim is. It was built by British drag racing legend Allan (Bootsie) Herratage. It ran as a pro comp car back in the day, and has been through many different owners over the years, as well as different power plants. It originally had a big block chevy and injection on methanol, then a blower fitted by the Stones Family. The engine was taken out and put into their Fuel Altered T Rat and the car was sold on. The current owner is Jim’s great friend Steve Ellis from Dorset. Steve bought the car from Roy Wilding, who was on our show a few weeks ago.

When Steve bought the car it had a 392 Hemi in it, cast iron block. It was a very heavy motor. The car sat in a barn for about 5-6 years and he finally asked me if I would drive for him…of course Jim had to think about it for a split second. He said not a problem! He couldn’t wait to get back in the seat again. They ran the Hemi for 3 meetings, getting better and better, then they blew the crank out of her! And then they did the only thing you can do but put a Chevy motor back in the car! Steve bought a Merlin 3 big-block Chevy, with all aiuminum heads, the blower and fuel system came off of the old motor. The quickest time and speed at the moment is a 7.96 ET at 169 mph. They’re taking little steps as they only have hat injection at the moment but they are aiming to get the car to run low 7s or quicker.

Jim started drag racing when he was 9years old as a St John’s Ambulance Cadet . He fell in love with the sport and his home track of Long Marston raceway England. After a few years, he became a Track Marshal; one of the youngest in the sport at the time. He had the job of checking starting line passes. A few years later, he moved to water butt's and then starting line itself. In 1995, Jim joined the Fire and Rescue Team and did 10years with that team, where he was Chief Fire Marshal.

in 2005 he was asked if he wanted to join a race team and help out. He said yes, of course, to work with a Fuel Altered team! A year later he went to Frank Hawley’s Driving School in Gainesville, got his NHRA Race License and flew back to the UK to drive The Mob FUEL Altered, which then became his ride from 2006-2009, racing in the NFAA Drag Racing Series. In his rookie year he ran the car’s first-ever 6-second pass, 6.92 at 203 mph. The team had been together for 30 years and never had run a 6…they came close, but never before Jim had they done it. Jim and The Mob ran many more 6-second passes over the years. At the end of the 2009 season, things went wrong between the owner and Jim so they parted company. Jim said the most unpleasant time of the following years was watching someone else drive your dreams! But life goes on and the next chapter starts…

Steve Ellis buys the FED and his son was supposed to drive but they asked Jim instead so he’s the lucky guy again. They have a fantastic time when they race now, so it’s no pressure and just have fun. The Supercharged Outlaw class is growing in the UK and they have some dates in Europe too now, so things are looking up after the closing of their home track, “Shakey”. Or Shakespeare County Raceway, originally named Long Marston Raceway or Avon Park Raceway, depending on when you went there. They will miss that place forever, but they moved forward. Santa Pod Raceway UK is their new home now, and it's a fantastic venue. The first race meeting is May 10th - 13th at the nostalgia nationals, run by the NSRA. Another great meeting also will be at Dragstalgia, another fantastic event. Jim’s in the middle of doing a Facebook page; he’s trying to get a web page done too, so there’s lots going on all the time with work, always being away and never having the time.

Jim said “I wrote this info in a lorry at 4.30 AM on my way to Ireland to work, but I would like to thank JB for making me his Racer of the Week. It’s a great show. I’d also like to thank the fans that come and see us at the track and hopefully follow us on Facebook too, and finally to Steve Ellis for giving me the opportunity to work with him and his team, and my family and all our friends. Thank You all! Jim Usher Full Revs.”

Jim added: “The beauty of being a truck driver. You can add that if you like, just like John Force, my hero and probably a lot of other truck drivers around the world.”

It was added, Jim, and we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Jim_Usher_Mar_25_2019_FB.jpg
Jim_Usher_Mar_25_2019_FB.jpg (568.84KiB)Viewed 6847 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:41 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Rickey Barnes, from Ringgold, Georgia. Rickey is currently competing in the Southeast Gassers Association with his Mighty Mouse ’62 Chevy II C/Gas hot rod, which is the car I featured in his graphic, but Rickey has done it all in Drag Racing over the years.

Rickey started racing in ’73 in a ’69 Road Runner. He had many cars thru the years till 1988, when he got into Drag Bikes had several that got increasingly faster, till he went into Pro Mod Bike in ’92. He raced that circuit until ’94, when he decided to sell everything and quit the bikes. He then went back to cars and bracket racing.

Rickey has bought and sold dozens of race cars, just as a hobby and to have fun. In 2015 he went to a SEGA race at the invite of Sonee Hall. He was hooked. He spent the next few months selling 4 of his race cars and went looking for a Gasser. He found the ChevyII that is now Mighty Mouse in Dalton, Georgia. It was an old race car that was put back on the street for car shows. Rickey quickly bought it and began the process of turning it back into a race car.

Then on last April 3rd of 2018, he had a bad accident involving his shifter hand and with only one week till the season opener, he put his son in the car. He took to it like a duck to water. They had a great year with almost no repairs. The car ran good but they just needed a little more power. Everything else was working great.

Rickey met up with an engine guy he calls Professor. He is no stranger to making power as he is an Engine Masters Challenge regular on Hot Rod TV. Rickey hopes their little 302 will make some big numbers on the Dyno next week. The new season is about to start, and Rickey and his son have high hopes for a winning 2019 series.

I browsed through Rickey’s photos on his Facebook page and I saw that he has owned and driven at least half a dozen hot rods of every year, description, color and configuration. He’s a drag racer’s drag racer, and he’s a perfect fit for the Southeast Gassers.

Rickey added just now in a Facebook post: “I want to thank a few folks that help Alan and I with Mighty Mouse. Larry Turner Race Fuels in Madisonville Tn. Without his help the car wouldn't start. Jimmy Adams in Chatsworth Ga for many parts along the way. Jack McLemore of 1st Class Auto in Ringgold Ga for having the car lettered. Ray Claunch of Somerset Ky, he’s always there for us, and Jeremy Barnes for his support. Without these guys we couldn't be there.

Rickey, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Rickey_Barnes_Apr_01_2019_FB.jpg
Rickey_Barnes_Apr_01_2019_FB.jpg (593.04KiB)Viewed 6594 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:42 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Shane Williams, from Wellington, New Zealand. Shane and I have several mutual friends in the New Zealand Drag Racing Association, and I found him and his awesome ’70 Malibu Super Street race car while looking through the list of racers on the NZDRA website.

Shane has been involved in Drag Racing from his early days in Upper Hut, and he’s now able to pursue his passion with a top-notch ride. The Road Rage Malibu is an outstanding hot rod.

He Imported the car from Texas in 2015. It runs in the Super Sedan/AA class in New Zealand.

The car has a 383 inch Chevy power plant with a Powerglide transmission with a 5000 stall and a 12 bolt rear end with 4.11 gears.

The Malibu was named Road Rage by a policeman!

Shane won the Dragstalgia meet last season. He came 3rd in the New Zealand Nationals this season, and has run a best ET of 10.12 at 130 mph.

Shane sends thanks to Deanos Kerbing, Linked Earthworks and Aaron Brattle and Pauline Lane at Dzine Signs. I am thanking Stephen Virtue of SV Photos for giving me permission to use his awesome photos, and Lauren King for getting in touch about having Shane’s graphic printed. It will go on his shop wall!

He told me his goals are simple: To keep racing! I can’t think of a better motto!

Shane, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Shane_Williams_Apr_08_2019_FB.jpg
Shane_Williams_Apr_08_2019_FB.jpg (542.12KiB)Viewed 6254 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:38 pm

My pick for Racer of the Week is Ian Seto-Kalawe, from Hilo, Hawaii. Ian is an outstanding young man, and he was recommended to me by our friend and the admin of the 808_FUEL page, Michael Baba Balbarino. Thanks, Michael! Ian is a Junior Dragster champion and the pilot of the “Naughty Boy II” which he has piloted. The car is absolutely fantastic from stem to stern; from having made Ian’s graphic for it, I could not detect one single speck of dust or the slightest flaw in the entire dragster.

The dragster has a motivational tubing chassis, with a 7.90 motor. Graphics and lettering were done by RYAN MATSUO AT ART WORKS. His best 1/8 mile pass all-out is a 7.80 at 84 mph, and his best 1/4 mile pass all-out is a 12.8 at 97 mph. Ian would like to improve on his reaction times and he said he can't wait to start racing “real” cars and burnin’ some rubber! Ian said he would like to race pro stock when he gets to that point.

He’s also trying to go for his black belt in Judo. Ian’s currently right under that level at brown belt, but sadly he has been experiencing shoulder problems. During high school Judo season he dislocated his shoulder during practice and tournaments so he’s out for now. They recently just had their championship tournaments and Ian’s team won the championship, so congratulations, but he can't wait to participate next year. Ian’s also in boy scouts and he’s trying to achieve his Eagle Scout badge, and he’s almost there.

Ian’s Dad Brian owns and operates Kalawe’s Auto Repair in Hilo. He rides one of the most radical bikes I’ve ever seen. The bike has a custom softail frame , high compression , roller-cammed 100 cubic inch engine with a 48 ida Weber downdraft carb, JIMS close ratio 6speed trans, and BDL 3 inch open primary drive. It has a 250mm wide Avon rear tire, and a 21 in front. It uses Performance Machine hand and foot controls . Brian said It's super comfortable, fast, and reliable. I was blown away by the pictures of it, and I'd bet it's a monster in person!

Ian and Brian, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Ian_Seto_Kalawe_Apr_15_2019_FB.jpg
Ian_Seto_Kalawe_Apr_15_2019_FB.jpg (615.01KiB)Viewed 5969 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:30 am

Wow, that Naughty Boy is one beautiful machine. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Yes, Wheelz. Ian and Brian are good people and fantastic racers. It was a real pleasure to feature them.

My pick for Racer of the Week is Chris Strausbaugh, from Hanover, Pennsylvania. Chris was recommended to me by our friend and the admin of the Mid-Atlantic Street Outlaws, Duane Morris. Thanks, Duane!

Chris has been hot rodding and tuning engines since he was in high school. He’s got over 20 years of off-and-on racing behind him. He got his ’77 Trans Am a while back, and after several years of riding the streets with girl friends, he decided to build it for no-prep racing and when he does go racing, he wins. Running on radials, he has won events in West Virginia and Beaver Springs, beating 16-car fields of heavy hitters and doing it with not only a perfect car, but with driving skill. He told me to get that win at Beaver Springs, they climbed mountains that day.

What I wasn’t aware of is the project that Chris has in his shop. A 2000 Firebird that he has sunk 80 grand into with another 20 grand to go. It has an LS8 small-block engine that Chris has built. Twin turbos, a 5:9 rear end and a 2-speed transmission. It has a new crank and pistons and Chris projected 3500 horsepower by the time it’s ready to race. The car also has a full race cage. He is committed to running radials, but he has run slicks on the ’77 before. As of now, both cars sit on radials. He built everything but the transmission.

Chris thanks Duane Morris for his help and encouragement in his racing endeavors. He also thanks his crew: Andrew Bobbits, Ben the chute guy, Big Jerry and Joe Hermart. He sends thanks to Timmy G transmissions & TZ converters, Atomizer Injectors, and a special thank you to Mike at Beaver Springs, who he said pretty much gives him free reign when he’s there.

Chris, we wish you good luck, safe racing and the best of times in the future!
Attachments
Chris_Strausbaugh_Apr_22_2019_FB.jpg
Chris_Strausbaugh_Apr_22_2019_FB.jpg (547.35KiB)Viewed 5652 times
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”