Helen Lorenz Martino.... Don Garlits' Mother

We celebrate those friends who enriched our lives before passing on.
jim sanders
Helen Lorenz Martino.... Don Garlits' Mother

Postby jim sanders » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:00 pm

:( Iread she worked at the museum....

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:18 pm

She reached 96 years old and her son was number one all time in his chosen field. Any mom would be proud of those accomplishments. RIP, Ms. Martino. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Barb

Postby Barb » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:10 pm

DON'S MOM

Helen Lorenz Martino
Born, July 2nd, 1910 Died, March 12th, 2006

Helen was a survivor, she raised two boys, Donald Glenn Garlits and Edward Lawrence Garlits during one of the most difficult times in America, The Great depression. She and the young boys were often seen in the strawberry fields in Plant City Florida, picking strawberries to help buy food for the Garlits table. Her husband Edward Elmer Garlits had a peddlers route in Tampa to provide the rest of the income.

In 1942 she divorced Edward and married Alexander James Weir and established Weirs dairy in North Tampa. Here she raised calves and bottled milk for Lortons Dairy, a small creamery located on the Weirs Dairy property. Alex Weir passed away in 1953 and Helen had to liquidate the Dairy.

Helen met Frank Martino in Sulfur Springs at a dance and several weeks later were married. Frank Martino passed away in 1997. Helen then came to Ocala to live with her oldest son, Donald at the Drag Racing Museum complex. Helen became the official Greeter in the Antique Car Museum, a part of the Garlits Auto Museum facilities. She became a part of the legend of Don Garlits, telling the childhood stories of Don and Ed growing up.

About a year ago, at age 94, her health began to fail and she had to have 24/7 care and her son Donald had the Bridges of Ocala care for her. Mom called me the Sunday morning, the 12th and we had a very good conservation, she said she wasn't feeling well Don reports. A little later I got a phone call from my brother Ed and he said she didn't sound very good. I told Ed to go to the Bridge and I would meet him there. Ed lives in Floral City Florida, so the trip is about 45 minutes. My wife Pat and I arrived about 2:15 and I told Mom I should call the ambulance and she should go to the hospital. Mom said, "Honey, please don't send me to the hospital, let me die in my own little bed", I respected her wish. My wife and I held her hand and prayed with her as her pulse slowed and finally stopped at exactly 2:35 PM on March 12th 2006. The emergency people arrived at 2:40 and hooked her to the heart machine and she was flat line on the tape. Mom is in Heaven with Frank now and the rest of her friends, God rest her soul.

Helen Lorenz Martino is survived by, her two Sons, Donald Glenn Garlits and Edward Lawrence Garlits, her two Granddaughters, Gay Lyn Capitano and Donna Garlits Perry, her four Grandsons, Edward Lawrence Garlits, William Daniel Garlits, David Garlits and Stephen Garlits, her three Great Granddaughters Tabatha Garlits, Kirsten B. Capitano, Sarah Lyn Smith and Anna Elizabeth Capitano, her Great Grandsons, Rodney Donald Smith, Christopher Garlits, Benjamin Gregory Capitano and William Francis Garlits.

Her Son,
Don Garlits

Services are Tuesday afternoon at the Baxley Funeral Home in Belleview Florida.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:54 pm

It's always a little sad to see someone pass even at that age. But, on the other hand, you've got to celebrate the fact she had a good long life.
R.I.P. Helen Lorenz Martino, Prayers go out to Don and his family.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:46 pm

My deepest respects and sympathy for a great American family. WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

RobbieG.

Postby RobbieG. » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:13 pm

My heart goes out to the family. :cry:
Thank you barb for posting that.
Robbieracer
ThunderHorse Racing

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:03 pm

:( Thanks Barb. R.I.P. Helen Lorenz Martino.
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:28 pm

Thanks Barb
Always tough losing Mom..at any age
RIP............
www.wallybell.com

Return to “Lost Friends”