Welcome Jack Redd (JA approved)

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Jack Redd
Barb, Dino, Gator & RH

Postby Jack Redd » Mon May 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Dino, your e-mail doesn't work. I still have the "Dover Gang" picture from Indy in my scrapbook. Remember when I backed into a car and you all took up a collection for the damages? Too much (JA) Grog. The last time I saw you was when I booked in the Jim & Allison Lee car at Dover. Gator U R re-JAck Approved! RH, if you remember Marshall Hall, you are as old as I am. It must have been your brother at Posner's that loaned me that big drag racing book years ago. Mike Southard was one of their sponored cars. Don't forget Old Dominion Dragstrip Reunion August 17th. And, try to make York this year. I will be honored by being honored in the 2008 York "Legion of Honor".
Now Barb, since you are so secretive where in the DC area did you live? Now the D.A. that you mentioned, was that the D,A. that almost choked to death at Indy after swallowing his gum? If so, I met you at York at the party at the Days Inn with Bob Rosetty, Lou Sgro and Joe Jacono during the York Show. If you are Barb Ways-Herandez, I met your mother at my American Legion Posty 248 (Oxon Hill) a couple of years ago. She was a dynamite lady. Speaking of Oxon Hill, how about that band going to China? That is my alumini. I callit alumini because only 82
surface into adult life in 1952.
Now for additonal (JA) Jack Approved Decal Flyers Club members and they are: Dave Doctrow, Dale Broderick's coup, Angie Montgomery, Fred Simmons,Drag Racing Online Magazine, Jack Thomas, Kitty Morris, Kay Slauson, Al, Dickie & Garry Gore, Old Dominion Dragstrip Reunion, Ted Pappacena, Bill Wilcom, Tom Steed, King & Marshall AA/FD, Ricky Rudd's NASCAR Tide Car No.10, Jim Amos, Mopar Max.com, Drag Racing Imagery, DR Memories, Stoney Creek Inn, Bruce Larsons
Barn Meet, East Coast Indoor Nationals and the Pro Fuel Dragster Associates.
Remember the Hurst Rambler? Well, Al Carpenter then with Hurst loaned me one to do an article on the car while I was the Editor of Drag Times. I was still working at Aquasco Speedway and I didn't want any one of the racers to think I was going to be favorite to win. So, I got John Rowley (the first person ever to buy a J.A. decal) to drive the car,after winning it's class ,Ithink it was then H/S/. He was runner-up in the eliminator and won enough for a good party.
If Texas told what Arkansas, what did Tennessee?
Why do we drive on the Parkway and park in the Driveway? Bye!!!!
Jack Approved!

Barb

Postby Barb » Tue May 20, 2008 1:17 am

Party? What party? Do I have to admit I know that Joe fellow? :P He's enough to make your hair curl :lol: Especially if'n he shows ya how to count change!

Hummmm, yes, we are speaking of the same D.A.

No, you've never met my mother. I know of Oxen Hill but was born and raised in VA. Do you remember the times everyone usta gather either at Mickey D's or the park and ride .. see who was gonna race who .. then go down to 295 to let er rip? If the cops came, we'd usually head up to the home of John Paris. I don't remember those either. :D

thunderlungs

Bench Racin'

Postby thunderlungs » Fri May 23, 2008 1:44 pm

Boy ...

Sure is neat reading about the times you folks had together. 'Course we - in the midwest - never did anything quite so flamboyant! Yeah, right.

Toured nationally with AHRA for the first time in 1963. Decided I'd drive to the Aquacso meet. Don't think I've ever been so lost in my life as I was tryin' to find that place the first time.
Jon Lundberg, ASA
Accredited Senior Appraiser, American Society of Appraisers

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Fri May 23, 2008 2:23 pm

That sucker sure is hid in them Eastern woods. I live very close to it right now... bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

RH

Postby RH » Fri May 23, 2008 3:01 pm

...........I know of Oxen Hill but was born and raised in VA. Do you remember the times everyone usta gather either at Mickey D's or the park and ride .. see who was gonna race who .. then go down to 295 to let er rip? If the cops came, we'd usually head up to the home of John Paris. I don't remember those either. :D
:D I believe that Craig Hennege lived up the hillside from the old 295 Drag-o-way too.Maybe 1st St? I lived in Alex and we would meet at the Ho-Jo on the Alex side of the W/W bridge or the McDs at Hybla Valley and scoot across the bridge and take care of things. Those were some stupid days for sure :lol:

BP,I tried to gain legal access to the Aquasco remains last year and Marra gave me the name of the current owner but he leased it out and then someone sub leased it and a hunt club was using it and things just got too complicated to get access.

J-A,
I hear that the S&S gang and Lee Edwards among others will be at the OD Reunion.
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

Barb

Postby Barb » Fri May 23, 2008 10:34 pm

I lived in Alex and we would meet at the Ho-Jo on the Alex side of the W/W bridge or the McDs at Hybla Valley and scoot across the bridge and take care of things. Those were some stupid days for sure :lol:
Hummmm, was that Mickey D's down the road a good piece? Have a shopping center across the road behind it? :lol: :lol: Yeah, I think I was there a time or two or three or four :lol: :lol:

RH

Postby RH » Sat May 24, 2008 9:49 am

[
Hummmm, was that Mickey D's down the road a good piece? Have a shopping center across the road behind it? :lol: :lol: Yeah, I think I was there a time or two or three or four :lol: :lol:
That's the one Barb :lol: .I worked at the body shop right beside the McDs.
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

Jack Redd

Platt, Aquasco, Craig & me!

Postby Jack Redd » Sat May 24, 2008 11:35 pm

Okay, this is the second time for this! I don't know what happened to the first one. Still learning this electric machine. I just changed batteries in my human memory-cells.
First, Hubert Platt has had open heart surgery Thursday. Send him a card & a prayer to: St. Joseph Hospital of Atlanta, 565 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd., Atlanta, Ga. 30342 or even call; (404) 851-4350. Don't send any empty "Mason" jars! For those in the know! Right, Dave Bishop?
Yes RH, the entire S & S Parts Group along with me with my (JA) Decals will be at Old Dominion Dragstrip on August 17th for an old reunion with the Yankey Bros and Lee Edwards.
Barb, how did a lady from Alex., Va. meet D.A. from PA? By the way after racing on Rt. 295 Raceway, we would go up to Craig Hennige's shop in Oxon Hill and party. "Whoopee Craig" is a radio announcer on an "Oldies" radio in Waldorf, Md. and is a party "DJ". You can get him at www.CraigHennigiepromotions.com.
Now for some new members of the (JA) JAck Approved Decal Club: Kathy Swagler (thanks for the Git-Go T) Nancy Jo Zapata (The Embroidery Factory) Forrest Bond, the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing, DMLMarra.blogspot.com, Eddie Stegena, CompetitionPlus.com, Ro Mcgonegal, Paul Hutchins, Standard 1320 Club, Tom Chastang, Draglist.com, GATOR again, Classic Gassers, Julian Frazier, Metro Auto Racing Fan Club, Vargo Drag Strip Reunion, Bill Ott, My Queen Pat, Sarah Redd, Bradley & Daniel Dornes.
If you are heading South on Rt. 301 on the way to MIR, stop at Johnny's Rib Shack on the left just South of LaPlata. You will not regret it! Also, while traveling South on Rt. 5 as you enter Clinton,Md., on the right you will see a big red brick building complex that has under a big clock, SDS.
They stand for Sonny DeCeraris & Sons, former owner of Cecil County Dragway. Across the street on old Rt. 5 highway is the Fish Market Resturant owned by Rick & Sherry Giovannoni. His father was the famous "Cam Grinder" Ray Giovannoni of Daytona Beach and sponsored Don Garlits. Stop in the resturant. The food is good and on weekends
Rick's band will have you dancing. Ray was the first speed shop owner in Wash., D.C. before moving to Fla. He moved back to Va. and opened resturants in Md. & Va. Courtney Scott and his cousin then operated the Custom Speed Shop on Maine St., (where I got my first go-kart-That is a story coming). Courtney then moved to Georgetown in D.c where Bill Barrett, now with Roy Hill, had a machine shop while working with "Bunny" Burkett. Scott won an eliminator at the NHRA Nationals in B/SR.
Now today while Suffolk Raceway has their Reunion (which will moved next year to Dinwiddie) here is another bit of interest. By the way, Hank Hankins was one of few to paid me appearance money and treated me and my family to a fine dinner afterwards.. This Memorial Day weekend, it
was 51 years ago that Aquasco opened. Yes, it was in the woods BP & JTL.
Al & Rose Procopio, Julio & Betty Marra, Sonny & Ebby Procopio and Anthony & Sonny DeCeraris (Al's brother in-law) were the management group. And, the Headers of Oxon Hill & Strokers of Camp Springs Md. (I co-started the Strokers) Hot Rod Clubs ran the show. I miss opening day because of an Army enlistment. Ebby & Sonny P. along with Sonny D. later opened Cecil County Dragway. Later after my Army days, I became a flagman (before Lew Bond, the manager of Capitol Dragway invented the Christmas Tree), then starter, announcer and strip reporter. By the way, "Thunderlung" didn't you announce the '63 AHRA Springnationals there for Jim Tice? I won E/SA in my Ford 500 and was Third (3) that year in the '63 AHRA National Points Champioship along Don Elliott, Dickie Harell, Charlie Therwanger and David Yocum, the top five. (more this later) God Bless Al & Rose, they were a gift.
Next time I will tell you about winning my first trophy and my first go-kart race. I have hundreds of stories. I hope you all enjoy them.
Well, it time to get off and go the Zapata's (hey, the ZAP Decals will return-you greyheads remember them?) for party with Julio & Rosa Marra, Joel (the announcer) Thomas, Bob "Moneybags" Wilberger, Jeff (photographer) Tinsley, and Bill & Boots Juenette (help build Old Dominion Dragstrip) to name a few.
If you have two ducks in front of two ducks and two ducks behind two ducks and two ducks in the middle, how many ducks do you have? 10-8-6-4 or only two?
If Maryland had no clothes, what would Delaware? A New Jersey!
GOD BLESS YOU & the USA! Remember our troops in PRAY! JA
Jack Approved!

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Sun May 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Jack,

Fantastic post, and yes I/we love to read the stories. Please keep them coming.

One tip I might give out, you probably already know it, is to type your long posts in word. That does two things, it allows you to save all your good memories and organize them how you want to on your own computer. Then just copy and paste them into your post here. I have also had a good many lost and had to retype due to some little glitch. I think BP or WC first gave me this tip several years ago and it has saved me a ton of times since. Hope this helps. 8)

Rapid
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Sun May 25, 2008 12:14 pm

8) Great reading today
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Return to “What's Up”