Off The Wall Question...

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:13 pm

turbo charger
yes..
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

slingshot383

Postby slingshot383 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Yeah, look at what the NOPI racers are doing with little 4 cylinder engines and great big turbochargers!
1994 Undercover 23 T altered
member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Maso

Okay...

Postby Maso » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:53 am

I know and understand that there is little in the way of mechanical efficiency to be gained by advancing the technology on automotive ignition systems and that harnessing the lost energy that is blown away through exhaust is the answer.

Still, my curiocity is up and running about my Microwave/Laser/Fibre-Optics concept that may very well not be worth the paper it's printed on.

This is just discussion.

Actually... I do have a second "idea" that in conjunction with my first could possibly address the exhaust efficiency queston, but with that I go even farther out on the limb and come off as being even more "Off The Wall". So, at the risk of becoming the laughing stock of the Internet, here it goes. ( Oh... my god...!!! )

Consider... Ultrasonic Sound Gererators.

Oh yeah... that's the thing the doctors use to scope out pregnant women...! That thing can also blast a kidney stone into sand. I know, I have been there and done that.

Several years ago, some Japaneese inovators designed a ( get this... ) Washing Machine that doesn't use soap...! Read about that at: http://www.designnews.com/article/CA200975.html . This device simply blows a charge of air up into a tank of water. The air charge is then imediately exposed to Ultrasound and that breaks the air down to it's finest degree of atomization... Molacules of H20 come bubbling up as FOAM...!!! and does what soap would do. The soap manufacturers in this country got nervous about that and lobbied against it in Washington because they couldn't buy the patent and shelve it.

Where's this going...???

S'pose... that same concept would work in the plenum space of an internal combustion engine after the fuel injectors and before the intake valve... Eh...???

If... ( and this is a big "if"... ) Ultrasound could break down a fuel charge to it's finest degree and that be fired by a hot laser... what would my hypothetical prototype engine do on the dyno... anybody...?

Take it easy on me, I am just as impacted by this fuel crisis as you are and I am reaching, that's all. 8)
Last edited by Maso on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Maso

Postby Maso » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:56 am

If you're talking about the light that is on when you are using a micro wave oven, that is a standard appliance light bulb. There is also a micro wave transmitter antenna located in either the top or one side of a micro wave oven.
Okay... so...

How 'bout a microwave transmitter antenna located on the roof of my car...???

:idea:

Slingshot... I will take your comments very seriously. I read in your profile that your work in in Aerospace.

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:01 am

Nothing and I mean NOTHING is "off the wall" if it could be made to work. The goal in this particular endeavor is to devise a way that it would not only be Practical but relatively functional as well.

Perhaps the guy who wrote the story for the "Back To The Future" movies was on to something with his use of garbage to fuel and propel that Delorean.
This country (and virtually all the others too) create massive amounts of garbage and waste........rather than conduct government studies on the impact of cow flatulence on the ozone, why not take that manure, mix it with some water and make our own methane to fuel our vehicles. Have a plastic belly tank and just let it ferment in there.....shoot, there are loads of motorhomes running up and down the hiways and byways right now that are carrying their own fuel source. Granted, this idea does very little to address the "ignition" issues (and would prolly smell kinda rough :shock: , but folks in farm country would feel right at home.)
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:37 am

8) Maso is not "off the wall" at all.. he is thinking and that is good.. his ideas may not make it past the powers that be "money" rules and that equals oil and other fossil fuels..... the greatest export we have now is our own trash that we have piled up over our last few generations.. paper,plastics,discarded electronics, etc... it won't be long whan a trash bag of beer cans will be worth a few gallons of gasoline.....
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Return to “Tech Questions”