NHRA's big problem

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Solid Rock

Postby Solid Rock » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm

I don't think I've missed your point.
I'll admit that Force's run is questionable, but how can one say for sure what happened. I've run my car for dozens of straight runs but there can and will be ones that bite you and take you to out of the groove and to the wall or cones. It happens.

bandit

Postby bandit » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:36 pm

I think they should run 2 Force (Neff and Height) cars and 2 Ped cars at Bruton's track all at one time!! :D :roll: :wink:
Actually I think this is a rediculous non-issue that I'm trying to make fun of. :P
Nano!!

Dennis Doubleday

Postby Dennis Doubleday » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Bill,I'm with you on this (James Ibusuki idea).I don't think it would fly with NHRA either,but it is clearly the best solution I've seen offered.How much more exciting would that have been to see Hight racing Pedregon,as opposed to Hight racing Force ? No contest.(no pun intended). Dennis Doubleday

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:45 pm

BP, I think that proposal is unrealistic.
Now they want a do over at Concord.....WTH is up with that???
If NHRA gives in to that then they deserve to go rapidly down the toilet.
If nhra allows that, then every other 11th place car, or bike, will ask for another chance.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:57 pm

Best 2 out of 3...................
Best 3 out of 5............................... :wink:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Bret Kepner

Postby Bret Kepner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 am

Although I avoid these conversations like the plague, I'm obligated to make a point.

When this topic is raised, it always includes the phrase, "new lows". Traditionally, somebody will reply that the same tactics were used in 2005, 2000, 1995, 1990, etc.

I find it absolutely hilarious that nobody ever remembers the 1970 NHRA Gatornationals Funny Car final round.

All I can do is laugh and shake my head at those who refer to "new lows". This stuff is older than most of the people complaining about it.

Also, concerning the quote:
Times are bad and they have cut the ticket prices to $20 for general admission in an attempt to fill the stands. They are still far from full.
...you couldn't possibly be more wrong in your assessment of the attendance. ORP now has 7,000 more seats on the east side of the track, (bringing its seating capacity to 26,000 and comparable to the largest tracks on the NHRA tour), and the crowds for every day of Indy '09 were exceptional in relation to the expanded capacity. Friday was downright incredible and Sunday, even with rain until 4 PM, was amazing.

It was a very, very good U.S. Nationals for the NHRA.
Bret Kepner
http://www.bretkepnerphotos.com
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:18 am

Bret, here's the part I knew:

C&H had the distinction of being the first team to have their cars finish one-two at an NHRA national event. At the 70 Gatornationals, Leonard Hughes won the event with a new-for-70 Cuda over their 69 Cuda driven by Larry Reyes.

But I didn't remember hearing about any funny business in the final... what happened? bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Bret Kepner

Postby Bret Kepner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:44 am

Reyes sat on the line for an enternity before leaving in "pursuit" of Hughes. It was beyond blatant.

The sad part is that Reyes has admitted the car was set on kill to try and run a "six" in the final before he was told "how it was going to play out". That resulted in a 7.29 beating Reyes' 7.12 at only 182.

Likewise, nobody ever brings up the '68 Indy SS/B class battle, the McEwen-Osborn $14K match at OCIR, etc., etc., which is all pretty hilarious to me.
Bret Kepner
http://www.bretkepnerphotos.com
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

overdriv

Postby overdriv » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:55 am

Although I avoid these conversations like the plague, I'm obligated to make a point.

When this topic is raised, it always includes the phrase, "new lows". Traditionally, somebody will reply that the same tactics were used in 2005, 2000, 1995, 1990, etc.

I find it absolutely hilarious that nobody ever remembers the 1970 NHRA Gatornationals Funny Car final round.

All I can do is laugh and shake my head at those who refer to "new lows". This stuff is older than most of the people complaining about it.

Also, concerning the quote:
Times are bad and they have cut the ticket prices to $20 for general admission in an attempt to fill the stands. They are still far from full.
...you couldn't possibly be more wrong in your assessment of the attendance. ORP now has 7,000 more seats on the east side of the track, (bringing its seating capacity to 26,000 and comparable to the largest tracks on the NHRA tour), and the crowds for every day of Indy '09 were exceptional in relation to the expanded capacity. Friday was downright incredible and Sunday, even with rain until 4 PM, was amazing.

It was a very, very good U.S. Nationals for the NHRA.
Well, yes they did add seats to the Eastside/pitside, but they took down some also. And I like the steep stadium seating they put in. Now if everyone would just stay seated we all could see everything. I still don't think they are as steep as the seating at the Joliet track, but I'm not sure.

It used to be at the US Nationals, you had to buy their reserved tickets at a higher price to have good seats near the starting line. And you had to buy them right after the race to get them. GA seats were all the way down track in the wooden seat section, which I actually liked, but there are no seats there now, and just the last couple of sections on the west side. Now even with the new seats with backs, GA will get you close enough to the starting line to tell who's who and see all the action. And this year they cut $10 off the GA tickets and called it Fan relief. Whatever it is I applaud it, keep the ticket prices low and the stands will fill up again. I went two days again, and I haven't done that since the early 90's.

A lot of folks come to watch the fuel cars run and that's all they watch. When the fuel cars are done those people go to the pits or where ever. And when the Pro Stock cars are done even more leave the stands. Sunday we watched the only pro qualifying session they had and stayed till 9:30PM watching a lot of the other classes run. Then we were there all day Monday and I'm guessing the west side was at best 1/2 full. I do believe the east side had more fans during the Fuel runs, but there were a lot of empty seats. Everyone had plenty of room, never having to sit shoulder to shoulder as in the past. So I'm glad they had a "very, very good" US Nationals, but the stands were far from full. And I gauge my opinion on attendance by the amount of people in the stands during the fuel cars.

Are you the Bret Kepner that use to announce for Diamond P when they did NHRA? I Thought you all did a good job.

You sounded a bit condescending in your comments Bret, but I'm new here and don't know the pecking order.

One thing you all need to remember, I love drag racing and use to love NHRA. I still love Drag racing, but not so much NHRA any more. I renewed my membership again at Indy, but might be the last, $69.95 don't even get you a rule book any more.

I just like to see what other fans think of the state of the sport, so far it's been a good discussion, I think.
God Bless Our Troops!

overdriv

Postby overdriv » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:33 am

What I'm referring to is just a few days old, and it's a new low to me. You sound like you think it's ok. With all due respect, if you can remember back that far and it has always been common place, then you surely are sickened by it by now, as it has been refined to "a new low".

I don't remember any one man owning a fourth of the field and two car teams were far and few between.

BTW, I'm getting pretty old so maybe not. No matter how old it is or how long it's been going on, it's still a black eye on the sport.
God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “What's Up”