Methanol and Oil Changes

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Weatherhound
Welcome Mat

Postby Weatherhound » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks Bill! I found your site by chance while looking into blown alcohol set ups for sale. Looking to take the next leap in mechanical injection and make a nice sportsman 1500 HP engine that is user friendly. I gave injection a chance in 2001 and have never looked back since.

Anyhow, I really enjoy your neighborhood here. Thanks for the welcome mat.

Regards,
Brian...aka...Weatherhound (Ex-Storm Chaser)

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:54 pm

I run alky injection on mine and usually go 15-20 passes before changing the oil......the main thing that'll milk the oil is a fat barrelvalve and letting it idle alot or driving it around....also I don't run a cooling system on mine either as long as the tune is close and you put heat in it it will not milk the oil hardly at all i also run upper lube in the fuel, I only drain my system after the season is over never had an issue......once ya get a handle on it which is not too difficult you'll wonder why ya ever ran a carb and gas!!........ easiset thing to do is hook up with a buddy who runs it and knows what he is doing ...there are alot of alky burners out there!!.........ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

gold nugget

Re: Methanol and Oil Changes

Postby gold nugget » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:23 pm

I bought a large metal coffee pot {50 cup} for $5 at a garage sale to cook the alcohol off. I read where other guys cook it for 6 hours at 200 plus degrees. Should work.

Weatherhound

Re: Methanol and Oil Changes

Postby Weatherhound » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:34 am

I have done this a couple of times with my oil. It works as long as you don't heat the oil up too much. I borrowed a small heat exchanger from work and circulated the oil through it. I had pressurized hot water on the shell side that I could get as hot as 250 degF. It only took about 30 minutes for the oil to exceed the boiling point of both water and methanol. Just watch the temp increase rate. When it begins to accelerate up, the oil is done.
Brian "Weatherhound"
1969 Z/28 Camaro
540 Injected Enderle Bird
Lake Jackson, TX

Return to “Tech Questions”