The Night Shift... Continues!

Here's where we go to kick back after the races with our pals. Pour a tall one, punch a few buttons on the jukebox, and relax...
draglist
Site Admin
Re: The Night Shift... Continues!

Postby draglist » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Another heartfelt post. Thanks, John. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:17 am

That was a truly wonderful evening. We played for a major all-out celebration till 11:30 with those great folks. I don't usually talk much about what I do musically at a gig, but last night was one of those rare instances when I played an absolutely perfect show from start to finish. Sylvester and I carpool when we're both able to, and on the way home we critique the show. I couldn't think of one thing I sang, played or did that wasn't exactly according to the preset method. Heck, I oughta retire now! Go out on a high note? Not. I have a "gimmick" that I pull in nightclubs and last night I did it with this crowd and it was tremendously successful. During instrumental breaks in the songs I do (I give each player a full-verse length solo), I step down off the stage, work my way into the crowd dancing in front of us, get in step with them and boogie along with the band. I did that last night and they flipped...it breaks down the barrier between the band and the audience and they dug the heck out of it. While I'm there, I also release myself from my shyness offstage and last night I went over and hung out with the coordinators, some of the guests and the Mariachi band that played for the dinner and we spent 2 band breaks chatting, laughing and having pleasant social interaction...meeting new people is something John Bockelman has difficulty handling, but WildcatOne never meets a stranger. He made me some new friends last night. I have 3 new business cards in my wallet this morning. Sometimes I wish I could blend those 2 guys into 1 without them getting in each other's way. As it is now, it's either John or Cat, depending on the setting.

I found a nice article this morning on the Galveston Daily News website about Mitch King's company. I didn't know it, but he bought the Purity Ice Cream Company some years ago. I believe LaKing's Confectionary will be open for the Holiday Season this year...they got hit hard in Hurricane Ike. They have the best banana splits I ever ate. I will dedicate the next one I get to Wheelz. Cheers, WC1
http://galvestondailynews.com/story.las ... 7a3a503ea0
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

23t

Postby 23t » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:40 am

Sounds super! Thanks for sharing!!! 8) 8) 8)

bojangies46

Postby bojangies46 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:42 am

Wheelz dont need it--I will take it :D :D
There is only one fuel NITRO

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:59 am

I'll get one for you too, Bo! :idea: :lol:
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Novel-T

Postby Novel-T » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:20 pm

I can sure relate to being two different people at times John.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks, John. Great stuff as usual. I want to be there for one of those shows where you can cut loose! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:56 pm

I've been playing so much, it's turning into a blur in my memory, so I'm going to post something before it all gets lost. Simply put, we're totally rocking out. We're all over the place. We played in Beaumont a couple of weeks ago for a law firm's Christmas party. It snowed and sleeted all the way there (It's about 100 miles or so from where I live). It was cold and dreary but a good party got had and the guy hired us for 2 more gigs coming up in 2010. Playing a gig in Beaumont is pretty much like playing a gig on the East side of town. It's not that far and there's mostly city stuff all the way there and back. The band is pretty much booked solid all the way into 2011 now. Last week we played at Walden on Lake Conroe for another private function...the crowd was a total dud but we got paid scale-times-4...$400 a man...and they just pretty much sat there and watched us play. Last Wednesday morning we played at the Doyle Convention Center in Texas City for Senior Food Day...we played for free...the convention center was packed full, close to 2.000 people were there, and they flipped over us. Pee Wee got 3 gigs out of us showing up and doing that, and the mayor and chiefs of police and fire departments hung out with us. Friday night we got a last-minute gig at Bubba's, a kind of high-class ice house that's off of I-45 to the left of the Galveston Causeway. The place was jam-packed and totally out of control for the last 2 sets we played. People were crashing into us. I got whacked in the mouth 4 times that night with my microphone. The last time, it knocked me silly...I saw stars...had to shake it off before I could play again, but we got through it. We heard after we left that a big fight broke out and the place got trashed. I'm glad we were gone by then. I don't know if we'll go back there; it was not just too crowded and too loud, it was an absolute madhouse. I am approaching total deafness at a kamikaze rate now, but on with the show. Saturday night we played at Capone's, uptown in the Galleria area. We didn't want a Saturday night there because we'd heard that Capone's is a total dead zone on Saturday nights...so we showed up to a standing-room-only crowd...managed to navigate our stuff to the stage, set up and played a powerhouse gig and they went totally nuts. We own Capone's now. This Italian movie star-looking guy was there and he pulled me aside and said 'I'll be back next week, you guys are far and away the finest band in town.' I said well, we'll be back January 15th. He said what? You're not here every week? I said no, man...here's our card...we play all over the Houston area...he said, well, we need to sign you to a contract! I don't want ANYBODY else but YOU in here! Turns out he's one of the owners. He was adamant that we play there more, but we've already committed to 8 gigs there for 2010. Pee Wee can sort it out with the guy, but he doesn't want us to get stuck somewhere and not be able to get around. I completely agree with his strategy. We're spread out over the whole region and it's paying off with good gigs everywhere we play. Yesterday we played in Galveston at a benefit that Frankie put together. Frankie was the drummer in the band when I joined. The benefit also was for the family of Danny Smith and Herby Richter who both died recently and played with Pee Wee's band and vice-versa. Some guys from the Whiskey Saints were there, they were the band I played in when I joined Pee Wee. I brought my DragList keyboard and played keys for this gig. Pee Wee pulled me aside and complimented me on my keyboard playing. That made my day...I'd rather be doing that in the band, but as it is, I am using an ice house-quality rig. If I was going to play keyboards in that band, I'd need to go out and get a first-class setup. This did good for the benefit, but it wouldn't be right for the upscale joints we hit, besides, we have a keyboard guy and I don't want to undermine his gig. He's a great guy and a good friend. I never push my keyboard deal to him, period. I just mind my own business. Anyway, we're playing the Haak Winery on December 26th for Raymond and Gladys Haak's 50th anniversary from 2-5PM, it should be a blast. Everybody have a Merry Christmas! Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
Support Live Music!

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:04 pm

I wish I had half your energy, Cat. Sheesh...I'm bushed just reading about your exploits :oops:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Return to “Dangerous Bill's Cafe Noir”