Rufus Boyd(Brooklyn Heavy)

We celebrate those friends who enriched our lives before passing on.
dragracinrs
Rufus Boyd(Brooklyn Heavy)

Postby dragracinrs » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Heavy left us 01/02/2010

He will be Fondly Remembered and Sadly Missed.

R.I.P Buddy!

Brian

Jack Redd

Re: Rufus Boyd(Brooklyn Heavy)

Postby Jack Redd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:19 pm

For you younger & older group of racers, if ever there is a movie made of this guy go see it. He was a great friend of racing, no matter what he did or was accused of doing.
I first met him when I was announcing at Aquasco Speedway (Md.) in the 60's when he showed up with his group(?) with brief case full of money. He brought (cash) his first Sox & Martin car, truck and everything that was in the truck. A few years later he showed up at Capitol Raceway (Md.) and had a problem with the tech-man. He showed up with 13 cars to race. There were trailers, tractor & trailers full of cars. He went to Julio Marra the promoter of Capitol and they worked out a deal where there was a "Brooklyn Heavy Eliminator". He was a character.
Later it was rumored that the people in government raided his house and found over a million and a half dollars. He later turned his life around for the better.
Diabetes got the best of him.
Thanks for memories Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd.
May God Bless Annie and family members on their loss.
Drag Racing has lost a "Legend"!
JAck
Jack Approved!

RH

Postby RH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:51 am

Heavy was a very colorful part of drag racing here in the east.He was a bigger than life charactor.
I remember he and his entourage showing up at tracks and the places just going nuts.
He could carry a race just by his presence. Once he showed up at at the old Colonial Beach 1/4 with his Chevelle for what was reputed at the time to be a 10K grudge run.That is a lot of $$ but in late 60s dollars was unreal!
He will be gone but not forgotten.
RIP.

RH
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34 am

REST IN PEACE OUR DEAR FRIEND "OUTLAW" PRO STOCK AND STREET RACER RUFUS "BROOKLYN HEAVY" BOYD...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Bklyn Heavy" sure was a big name in Pro Stock and Outlaw Street Racing back in the 1970's... "Bklyn Heavy" drove, and when not driving, he often enlisted the driving talents of Herb McCandless... "Heavy's" mean and clean Plymouth Dusters were a favorite among fans of Pro Stock's golden era (the 70's)... I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing "Bklyn Heavy" a few years ago... Drag Racing Underground was the guest of the Brooklyn, New York "Head Hunters" car club, the "Head Hunters" were having a big block party that featured a sizable car show, barbecue, and "on the street" burnout contest... I conducted an on-camera interview with "Bklyn Heavy" at the party, outside of a funky corner "bodega" (a small Spanish food and snack store)-- DRU has only released that interview to some folks from the H.A.M.B. board, but we'll have to make it more available to others... "Bklyn Heavy" was very nice and polite to me, a real gentleman, he shared some of his memories with me and even spoke of his desire to campaign another car at the drags... I know that I will always remember Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd, and I know that there's certainly lots of other folks in the drag racing community who won't ever forget him--Rufus Boyd lived a full and colorful life, and there's no denying that he made drag racing history with his "Brooklyn Heavy" Pro Stockers... Heres a thought and prayer that Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd may now Rest In Peace... Diana
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

dragracinrs

Postby dragracinrs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 pm

That car was almost complete.......And Will be done in his memory now! I would love a copy of that interview if i may get a copy....

RH

Postby RH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:36 pm

Great pics especially the last.Don't see too many pics of Camrods car.I see it in the backround.
RIP Rufus.

Ron
"I get pushed outa' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:22 am

Rest in peace, Brooklyn Heavy. Sorry for the early exit. From what I've read in this thread, you were quite an amazing man. Race on in Heaven! WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:33 am

dragracinrs, those are some truly incredible photographs... I can't believe how d*rn beautiful Heavy's A/MP Camaro was!... If you bring your project to fruition, it will certainly be one of the most cherished cars on the scene-- Folks will be falling on top of each other to get a close and personal look at the Camaro-- I love it!... The photo of you with "Heavy" at the ramp truck is so beautiful too... THAT'S how I remember him, you gotta love his orange shirt-- And "Heavy's" smiles touch the core of your soul... At the Head Hunters Car Club Bklyn block party he was enjoying being surrounded by those who admire, respect, and love him... I will say, that my experiences of hangin' out with people like "Bklyn Heavy" and hangin' with some of the other awesome "old skool" NY/NJ Street Racers has been some of the very best times I've had while doing this DRU thing... My day of meeting and speaking to "Bklyn Heavy" outside a Bklyn corner bodega ranks as not only one of my best days of doing "Doc duty", but as one of the truly most enchanting days of my life... I'll be glad to get you a copy of my interview with him... I can tell by the photo of you and "Heavy" that you were definitely experiencing the "magic" of the man-- God Bless "Brooklyn Heavy"-- God Bless him... Diana
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Farewell, 'Heavy. A huge part of the Pro Stock scene in the 70s. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Return to “Lost Friends”