Stock BBC block Oil Pressure Port Question

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
TurboDiverArt
Stock BBC block Oil Pressure Port Question

Postby TurboDiverArt » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me ID a port on a stock BBC block. In the attached picture, is this an oil port and if so, is it pressurized with filtered or non-filtered oil? The reason I'm asking is I'm planning to install an oil accumulator and really don't want to install an adapter. My engine diaper fits very snugly up the entire side of the oil filter and an adapter and line would interfere and require me to cut/modify the diaper. In addition, if this is an oil pressure port it would seem a lot easier and cheaper to just plumb a line into this port. I'm planning to install the accumulator for when I'm braking. If I slam the brakes on hard after a run my oil pressure will eventually start dropping before I come to a complete stop. I'm really only looking to have the ability to add some additional oil pressure for the short couple of seconds at the end of breaking. I'm not installing the accumulator for loss of oil pressure while accelerating; my oil pressure is fine while going down the track.

I'm pretty sure this is an oil pressure port and I should be able to plumb a line from the accumulator to it. That being said, anyone know what size the port is?
Attachments
Is this an oil pressure port.jpg
Is this an oil pressure port.jpg (132.48KiB)Viewed 35360 times
Art Paltz
230" Undercover, 468ci stock block, 7.840@170.14

Buffjhsn

Re: Stock BBC block Oil Pressure Port Question

Postby Buffjhsn » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:28 pm

yes it is an oil pressure port. it is above the filter so it should be after the filter. it is 3/8's pipe thread. hope this helps you.
The Price Of Progress Is Trouble!

j85

Postby j85 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:49 am

Can you run oil pressure gauge to this or is there another port for the gauge ?

TurboDiverArt

Postby TurboDiverArt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:35 am

Can you run oil pressure gauge to this or is there another port for the gauge ?
The port slightly above and to the right in the attached picture is also an oil port. This is typically the one that is used becasue it's a smaller port and more easilly fits the line you would be using.
Art Paltz

j85

Postby j85 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Both holes have threads but no oil passage hole on the upper right and left of the big hole. I guess I will get the fittings and use the big one.

TurboDiverArt

Postby TurboDiverArt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Both holes have threads but no oil passage hole on the upper right and left of the big hole. I guess I will get the fittings and use the big one.
Huh? Mine must have been drilled at some point by a machinest. That's where my oil pressure guage is.
Art Paltz

Return to “Tech Questions”