Your Opinion Of Drag Racing Today?

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
Pappy1
Re: Your Opinion Of Drag Racing Today?

Postby Pappy1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:04 pm

Don't hold back now BARB, I really want to hear it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.manheimbodyandfab.com/

223rd&Alameda

Postby 223rd&Alameda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:25 pm

I am going to give my opinions in a couple of posts.

A. My general outlook of todays action. Weak. It seems so predictable the winners of the Pro classes today. We won't see any upsets like days of old, such as Marvin "Who" Graham winning Indy or Sherm Gunn winning FC at Pomona. The days of any car from the bottom of the field winner is dead. The National events have become very stale and mundane. Pro sessions take to long, too much track prep, 1000 ft. stinks, no top end charges and so on. The price of tickets, parking, food and t-shirts is off the hook. So much that last year, I skipped flying out to pomona for the AAA finals, an event I have attended since the 1970 Supernationals at Ontario. I am not going in November either. It was easier when I lived in California, but flying out there from the South, when all is done, costs $2000!!! Rooms, tickets, car, food and the stupid high parking fee.

Qualifying doesn't mean squat anymore, last ditch qualifying is history as well as a good bump. Pro Stock has become cookie-cutter boring as heck. Pro Stock bike the same. The Alcohol classes are still cool but the number of teams get's smaller and smaller. Comp Elim, Super Stock and Stock are great!! Top Sportsman & Dragster are also good.

Super Comp and Super Gas just flat out blow. Borefest, borefest, borefest!! Electronics have ruined those classes. New fans shake their heads when they see these cars fall on their face off the line. That is a great time for a pit walk or food run. Where are the wheelstanders, jets and so on? At least at some of the events, you'll get a cacklefest.

Next post will be my opinion and ideas for Top Fuel. Gosh how I miss the 60s & 70s'.

223rd & Alameda

WCB

Postby WCB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:15 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Millions love it.....
I do too....... 8)
www.wallybell.com

Iowa Al

Postby Iowa Al » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:10 pm

I used to put a tape in the VCR to make sure I catch the national event coverage. I stopped watching last year. I cannot stand Paul Page.
I belong to NHRA because it's a Christmas present from my daughter.
The last Big Show event I went to was 2003 at Route 66. I'm 10 years retired and Route 66 has priced itself out of my budget for national events.
I would go to a division event if they were closer. Lots of good racing and racers there.
As an old alcohol funny car crew member I still follow those and have always liked Comp. for the diversity of cars and engines.
Seeing Craig Liberty's dragster with the 4 cyl. engine and one of his dad's transmission's behind it going down the track sounding like a buzz saw is way cool.
Love nostalgia events.
IA AL

Barb

Postby Barb » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:37 am

And, another thingy that I forgot to touch base on .. the points system needs to be returned to normal. Why should these guys go out there and beat on their equipment week after week only to EXCLUDED once the points are restructured?

Oh .. and don't even get me started on qualifying. You make a run it counts .. NO, ands, ifs or BUTS about it.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. :lol: :lol: You now have control and I'll go back to sleep 8)
Families are like fudge .. mostly sweet with a few NUTZ!!!!

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:32 am

I agree, Barb. But on the qualifying deal, I think they are trying to discourage "one shot" qualifying by the lower budget teams. (You mentioned the same thing above, about Indy) Points??...Hmmm...I could understand all the hubbub over adjusting the points at Indy for a dog fight / shoot out for the final 6 races, IF it was a full field of 16 cars/ drivers that had a shot at the title in the end. The past couple of years have proven that "if" you make it in to the countdown and get hot, you Can WIN; both Cruz and Robert Hight showed us how.

I have to say though, when a favorite driver, (or at least one I don't hate, )who didn't make the top ten pairs up with one of the "Countdown Contenders"... I root for the "underdog" every time :twisted:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

223rd&Alameda

Postby 223rd&Alameda » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:09 am

B. Top Fuel, thoughts and my views on rules. I have considered Top Fuel as my all time favorite class in any form of racing, I still like it, but not as much. Back in the day it was a "common man" class with great car names, characters driving 'em and variety. Now it's just a select few with corporate names, I am not anti corporate. No chance for the #16 car to win.

Rules? My view is this, dump the setback superchargers, dump the duel mags, dump the gear rule, say adios to the insanely large fuel pumps, and go back to 1320 feet. I would have zero issue with 4.80s or 90s' at 290 to 300mph. on the quarter mile. Either a 12 or 10:71 supercharger, open gear, 1 mag, small fuel pump. lower the minimum weight and lose the stupid looking carbon fiber tall injector bug catchers. At least 90% in the tank.

Also remove the countdown points structure, dump the "lock in 12 on Friday" garbage, and go back to real racing. Bring bacl the oil down penalties, point deduction only.

Geez, what would I give to see Chuck Kurzawa in the Ramchargers AA/FD along side of Larry Dixon Sr. in the Smirnoff Special dueling in a side-by-side full track smoker at Lions at dusk, those were the days, none better.

223rd & Alameda "Drive the highways, race at Lions." What a time it was, never to be equaled!!

Billy Mac

Postby Billy Mac » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:29 am

It all depends on who that #16 qualifier IS. If it is T.J. Zizzo or the ageless "Greek" on the bump spot, then you prolly have a point... not much chance of them advancing. But if it's Dixon, or the "Sarge", or Antron Brown (or any of the other heavy hitters) who struggled in qualifying, they are certainly capable of stepping up in the first round and "upsetting" the #1 qualifier and then marching through the rest of the rounds.

The Top 12 after Friday's Qualifying is a pain in the arse that has caused some good teams to sit out on Sunday...Stupid Rule, Period! :evil:
Long Live Draglist!
Thank You Vets
In God we Trust...(all others pay cash)
Billy Mac Signs-West/Pegasus Race Cars

Diana The Doc

Postby Diana The Doc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:07 am

I've grown to appreciate many of the "independent" events... E'Town's NOSTALGIA SUMMERNATS/OLD TIME DRAGS/FUNNY CAR REUNION and SHAKEDOWN AT E'TOWN are two "indie" events I adore and support... It appears that the Nostalgia Drag Racing movement is finally getting its footing and receiving the kind of attention it deserves... Of course we're all aware of how the Outlaw Heads-Up Doorcar movement has taken off like gangbusters-- SHAKEDOWN AT E'TOWN, a two-day event dedicated exclusively to this particular movement has grown at a phenomenal rate... The business of Drag Racing has been treading relatively rough waters over the last several years-- The sport isn't as intertwined with America's mainstream pop culture as it was back in the 1960's and 1970's... Much of America's youth are leaning more towards an "environmentally conscience" and "going green" brand of culture, while seemingly straying further and further away from the "going fast" culture of yesteryear... I would hope that in the coming years we can somehow find a balance that insures Drag Racing's future, while still keeping the "going green" contingent willing to, uh, "tolerate" us without persecution... I realize that I have a reputation for "telling it like it is" and not "candy coating" the issues, so I will admit that we in the drag racing community might have plenty of rough waters ahead of us... We need to stay united and work for the common goal of preserving the sport... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...
THE MOST READ FEMALE BLOGGER ON THE DRAG RACING INTERNET. THANKS TO YOU. I LOVE Y'ALL FOR THAT!

Return to “What's Up”