Almost done, but not quite. Got it welded up and set in place so all the holes are drilled. I ran into a little snag. I didn't even consider what's inside the vinyl post I'm mounting it to. It's been 10 years or better since I installed them. Turns out it's got a metal tube running up the center with the void filled with expanding foam. So, I dug through the iron pile and found a length of 4''x1/4" steel. I cut 2 lengths, drilled 2 bolt holes through, then sandwiched the post. Welded one plate to the railing and I was back in business.
I painted the railing with por 15, then a couple coats of bronze metallic, then a couple coats of black. The plan is to sand it down tomorrow, exposing a little of the bronze here and there to somewhat match the Oil Rubbered Bronze hardware on the front door & porch light fixtures. Then I'll give it a couple coats of satin clear and it should be ready to install.
I made a plug for the end of the railing out of a length of round stock I've had for eons. Turned it down on the lathe. Drilled 3 holes in the railing end, slid it in and button welded it on. The idea is, if water condenses in the pipe, it'll drain out at the bottom since the end isn't welded solid. Just drilled a small weep hole in the other 2 tubes at the low ends.
Cast iron BBC head makes a good weight to keep the parts in place for welding
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.