Steve Engel

Check in with your pals daily. What's on your mind?
animal jim
Steve Engel

Postby animal jim » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:53 pm

:( I first heard about Steve's crash right after it happend. Chris McMahan who was working the Indy race for NHRA called me on cell phone describing it to me as he was on way down track to the accident. I could hear the chopper. :shock: :cry:

:evil: What really irks me is the Sports Section of the Peoria , IL. paper called Steve a "Sportsman Racer" Instead of explaining he was a double throwdown professional Pro Mod racer running with the JEG"S special Pro Modified feature program. I do not blame the Peoria paper so much-because I'm sure that is the way the NHRA press release read and the PJS sports writer not knowing the sport well just copied what NHRA sent.

NHRA Comp Eliminator does have Pro Modified listed as a class. Why I have no f-cking idea! Pro Modified is a f-cking professional catagory!!!! :roll: :evil:

If I am not mistaken. I think Steve Engel was the last guy Bill Kuhlmann ran on his last ride :?:
It has been quite a ride!

Pappy1

Postby Pappy1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 pm

R.I.P.

super stock

Postby super stock » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:20 pm

RIP Steve Engel ------ Bradenton Motorsports Park-Super Stock- Bob

http://www.promodzone.com/

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:25 pm

It does bother me, too. Hard for me to admit this as the guy who runs this site, but I frankly didn't know that much about Steve, or any of the other racers who work their hearts out to run 5.9s and 6.0s at NHRA events. The papers would have been all over a Pro Stock driver from that series. The NHRA vs. Pro Mod PR fight has been going on for a long time by folks who have more of a vested interest in it than me. But I did feel a little sadder by losing Steve and not knowing much about him when he was an active hard charger. bp
Last edited by draglist on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

F/C Girl

Postby F/C Girl » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:31 am

I can relate. We're the 2nd fastest class in the NHRA and many times are the red headed step child at events. More often than not, you'll find more pro's and crew chiefs at the line when we run than any other class. Hmmm.......

RIP Steve
Nancy Matter
Nancy Matter Racing, Inc.
http://www.nancymatterracing.com

Big Erik

Postby Big Erik » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:23 am

I well agree with AJ......the pro mods are every bit a professional class!!.anyone who runs one of these or has run one is a pro in my book!!......and Steve was not a "class filler" either not that that makes any difference a man lost his life racing .but anyway Steve won Bristol this year if I recall right.and he ran all the series NHRA IHRA and ADRL.........I think NHRA is missing the boat with these guys they do them like they do the alky guys....run em at the worst part of the 'show".I';d much rather see a full field of pro mods running mid 5's and a full field of BB/FC's(they are still BB cars to me) revving them up and shifting and DRIVING them.than i would a soft field of nitro cars.......as a whole the fuel classes have lost thier identity......no one has a name on their car any more.and it costs sooo much to do it no one can........okay sorry for the rant ........GODSPEED STEVE!! ERIK
I'm everything they say i am......I'm so bad......Baby i don't care!!!

Mr. Jean

Postby Mr. Jean » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:32 pm

R.I.P. Steve. :(
Jean Muntifering
#7897 Comp.
Old Comp Racer

Andamo

Postby Andamo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:30 pm

The news of Steve's passing when I read about it Monday morning was such a shock to me. I hadn't heard much of his condition and progress, but the last I had heard, it was all positive, but a lengthy rehab was in store for him. My condolences go out to his wife Tonya and his 2 children, plus his family and friends. In my mind this isn't what was supposed to happen. God speed Steve.
Last edited by Andamo on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Kalb

Postby Jim Kalb » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:51 am

Very sad.
Alky is not just for drinking. Official D.L.C.M.

Zappy

Postby Zappy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:49 am

Very sad indeed. Maybe, just maybe, they will get rid of those dang track side cement walls???

Return to “What's Up”