Dad

We celebrate those friends who enriched our lives before passing on.
pro70z28
Dad

Postby pro70z28 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Bad on me, I've been so busy I missed the anniversary of my Dad's passing, Jan. 5th, 1965.

Here's a WWII pic. of Dad at the controls of his communications equipment. We farmed, but on the side Dad fixed radios, T.V.'s and other electronic stuff. And he was a fabricator extraordinaire, fixing & welding stuff for the neighbors, and he seemed to always have a project he was working on. I guess that's why I like doing the same, why buy it when you can build it.
DAD WWII.jpg
DAD WWII.jpg (198.18KiB)Viewed 13957 times
That diploma hanging on the wall in this shot, hangs on a wall in our home now.
Last edited by pro70z28 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

draglist
Site Admin

Re: Dad

Postby draglist » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:57 pm

I can see the resemblance, Gary! And you certainly have his gift for getting things fabricated! HB to him. Bill
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:08 pm

Thank you BP. I did some digging and found a couple other things.
Dad, Dave, Diane, Me.jpg
Dad, Dave, Diane, Me.jpg (342.53KiB)Viewed 13953 times
This is my older brother Dave on the left with his FFA calf. Me front & center, Dad & my younger Sister on the Tractor/Picker. Since we were share croppers, dad took a pull type picker & mounted it backwards on the tractor so He could "Open the headlands & the field". He would take the loader off & hook a wagon to the front of the tractor and pick corn, backing through the field. With a pull type picker, the tractor is off to the side of the picker, you run over corn that way if you're opening a field, so with this unit, that's not a problem. You would count off so many rows, then Pick 2 rows, count off so many rows & pick 2 rows. Then the owner would get a strip, We'd get the next strip & so on. That way the corn would be divided equally, allowing for variations in yield form one part of the field to another. The owner would cash his share in & Dad would put our share in the crib. Then he'd sell some off whenever the price was good, but most of it went to feeding our own livestock.
Dad Passed away from cancer shortly after this photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuLfsXR ... e=youtu.be

Here's a youtube video I found of Dad playing around with his super 8 movie camera, welding & driving what we called the jeep. (A model A He converted). Oh, the model A crowd would have a fit these days. Dad probably would too if he knew how much that deal would be worth today. This was back in the 50's, so they were not all that rare back then.
Oh, and there's a little of me driving one of Dad's projects. Actually was built for my Brother Dave. He was hospitalized with polio, but thank God made a complete recovery. This was a welcome home gift Dad built for him, but we both got to drive it. It's actually a self propelled Sickle mower that Dad front halved you might say.

BTW:
Dad didn't stop with the Model A. He later took the Hudson in this video and chopped it up, making it into an El Camino or maybe an El Hudson. :lol:
I believe they have gone up in value also. But then, it was just an ordinary 10 year old dime a dozen car back then.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:34 pm

I can see the resemblance, Gary! And you certainly have his gift for getting things fabricated! HB to him. Bill
Hard to believe he was a good 10 years younger in that picture than Jeff is today.

Wheelzman

Postby Wheelzman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:56 am

Spear's Jet ........ now I know why you are a gearhead. That was some hot rod Gary custom grille and all. Happy Birthday dad. That just made my day with that video. Oh and that reverse corn picker sure would have saved my hands back on the farm. When you pick a few rows by hand you think that it will never end. I wonder why I have arthritis in my hands????????? :D

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Wonderful videos. Your dad was a true hot rodder!

Hard to believe indeed that he was younger than Jeff in that photo. He definitely looks young there.

I was remarking that now Jason is 25. When I was his age, I had just gotten out of the Navy myself. Time marches on... bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Return to “Lost Friends”