Green Racing's Anglia Gasser

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
greenracing
Green Racing's Anglia Gasser

Postby greenracing » Wed May 24, 2006 7:38 am

Hey I thought I'd start one of these!

I finally got the car together and out to the track this weekend.

We've had rain for about 2 weeks straight, so it was interesting. No parking in the grass - unless you wanted to be there till next week. Water was coming through the track near the traps, so they ran 1/8. It didn't matter to me - I'm usually lucky to get to the 1/8 without getting out of shape. oh - it was windy too.

The first run is always fun. After sitting around since September your body has forgotten all about acceleration, the fact that you can't see down the strip when you launch the car on 2 wheels, and other craziness. Needless to say when I was up and felt the car drifting it got shut down.

Second run was a better launch - actually eek ed out a 1.29 60' - about par for my slobbery tune-up. Got out about mid track, lost track of things, forgot to shift, remembered to shift after I noticed the little hemi squealing at me, then got hit by the wind. Did I mention it was windy? Apparently my little billboard shaped car doesn't like the wind - it was a hairy ride and it got shut down for a coasting 6.54.

I was happy after the third run. Clean launch - I actually had time to notice that the top of my hood needed washed before it settled down to where I could see down the track. 1.31 60' - not sure what was different from the 2nd run. Shifted a bit early - just to make up for forgetting it in the first 2 runs. Ran it on through for a 6.17. Which is about what I'd expect with the throttle stop set a bit lower than it was last year and the motor tuned a bit fatter.

In my after race inspection last night I think I may have found some of my launch issues. My wheelie bars have about an 1/8" clearance on the rear frame. I knew they were close before, but after all of the rear end changes this winter, I somehow forgot to recheck it. They are basically acting as bump stop - especially when the car is on them, they'd be pushing on the frame and binding everything up. Not good.

Luckily the only thing tied to the back of the frame is the chute. So it should be fairly easy to relocate the back cross-member, cut off the back of the frame and hang a new chute mount out there.

Got the Gasser meet at Thompson in a week and a half.

Perry

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:01 am

Sounds like a wild ride. Sorta' like an Altered with doors. :lol: :lol:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Doug

Postby Doug » Wed May 24, 2006 8:45 am

COOL 8) 8)
[img]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/dougp1972/Chevy_anim.gif[/img]

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Wed May 24, 2006 9:39 am

8) great report !!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Wed May 24, 2006 10:41 am

Fantastic... about time we got you up here!!! Great reading. bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Wed May 24, 2006 10:56 am

thanks guys.

Here's the link to gasser meet the week after next:

http://www.gassermadness.com/reunion2006.htm

Byron Stack is doing a great job at organizing it - it gets more organized and bigger every year.

Novel-T

Postby Novel-T » Wed May 24, 2006 11:04 am

Thanks for the update,Perry.Short wheelbase cars are a thrill,aren't they?

Lippy

Postby Lippy » Wed May 24, 2006 11:53 am

Thanks Perry, I love reading run reports, I have a friend who has a small block 4spd anglia that he races once in awhile, it's a street car with a/c and stuff, he almost lost it coming from behind the bleachers and the wind hit him, those little rascals get a little twitchy at times huh. Love hearing about your car!! :D
If you think it's exciting now, wait till we start it.

Rapid Randy Baker

Postby Rapid Randy Baker » Wed May 24, 2006 1:43 pm

Nice run report! Glad things were ok, and you are back to do more work on the car. 8)

Don't you think it is kind of short sighted on the crewchiefs part. I mean really expecting us drivers to shift, pay attention, steer! :shock: Don't they know we just want the Yee Haw factor,,,,,not the other work that comes with it! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Keep us updated.
NITRO PILOT

[url]http://.www.rapidrandy.net[/url]

greenracing

Postby greenracing » Wed May 24, 2006 1:53 pm

Really! - unfortunately I'm the crew chief too...

Someone suggested that I put a air or electric shifter on it so I didn't need to worry about it. I told them that if I was gonna start putting automatic stuff on it I may as well race my wife's mini-van.

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”