Waaay Northeast Drag Racing

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
Maritime Drag Racing
Re: Waaay Northeast Drag Racing

Postby Maritime Drag Racing » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:22 pm

We've been putting together a Big $$ race for the first weekend in June at Miramichi Dragway Park in New Brunswick. $10,000 to win in both the "Box" and No Box" classes. Just finished putting together a web page with all the info - check it out at http://www.bigbuckbracketbash.ca

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Good luck with that deal, Don! That graphic of the tree and flags is really great, by the way! Excellent flyer for this event. Cheers, WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

Maritime Drag Racing

Postby Maritime Drag Racing » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Congrats to a couple of Maritimers for their wins at the IHRA Palm Beach Nitro Jam. Jim Morrison in Quick Rod and Bill Clarke in Hot Rod.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 am

Congrats! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Maritime Drag Racing

Postby Maritime Drag Racing » Mon May 16, 2011 9:32 am

Many months since my last update but we can blame the long winter and our wet spring for that. So far we've had the first two weekends of Drag Racing in the Maritimes cancelled due to rain and the forecast doesn't even look good for this weekend. When our season eventually gets started I will be posting results, photos and news from this part of the world.

On a personal note our S/Pro Cavalier project is progressing slowly mostly due to a large part of our 2011 racing budget has gone into buying a car trailer. That's OK since we've already committed to spending the 2011 season in the Street/Sportsman class with our old VW in spite of all our friends' offers for both labor and financial help with the Cavalier. This way I've got another year to finish it the way I want and it will give me lots of time to hunt down the best bargains in used race parts. On top of that I'm planning on doing a total restoration on my truck while still using it almost every day.

Being retired means lots of time to do stuff but not a lot of $$ to do it with. In spite of that I would not trade my freedom to do what I please any time of any day of the week for any high paying job. The only stress in my life is deciding what to do to keep myself busy. Lately the weather has determined that I keep busy inside the house and that is the toughest job of all. You can only clean and sort and repair so much before you start getting in the Better Half's way LOL.

WildcatOne

Postby WildcatOne » Tue May 17, 2011 11:08 pm

GREAT post and an inspiration to me as I am looking forward to my retirement in November. You said it just like it is and it's exactly what I expect...I have projects lined up that will demand creativity and concentration from me...great going, Don! Good luck with the VW when the season gets up and running! WC1
Life Is Good!
http://www.peeweebowenband.com
Support Live Music!

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Wed May 18, 2011 5:23 pm

I envy you guys... I'll be there in about 15 years! bp
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

Maritime Drag Racing

Postby Maritime Drag Racing » Sun May 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Well - our first weekend of Drag Racing in this part of the world is in the books so here is Earl Proude's Raceway Park, Prince Edward Island report:

May Weekend Drag Results

Well it was Victoria Day Weekend, but the weather felt more like Christmas, at least on Saturday and Sunday was not much warmer. Saturday's races were postponed until Monday because of the threat of rain, high winds, and cold temperatures. On Sunday about 65 cars plus 8 Junior Dragsters braved the elements to enjoy a great day of racing.

In the Box Division Saint John's Ray Roach defeated Charlottetown's Dave Constable in the final.

In the No-Box Division and the Junior Dragster class the father and son duo of Chad and Brett Ramsay from Wellington, PEI emerged victorious for what I believe is a first at Raceway Park. Chad beat J.R. Lawson of Millvale Road, Nova Scotia in the No-Box final while Brett edged Jocelyn Campbell from Cornwall in the Junior final.

In the Duck Race for first round losers, Glenn Frizzell from Winsloe, PEI drove his Arctic Cat snowmobile to victory over the big Camaro of Hunter River's Glenn MacLean.

Saturday's Gamblers' Races will be held on Monday with Time Trials beginning at 9:30 am and the racing starting about two hours later.

Maritime Drag Racing

Postby Maritime Drag Racing » Tue May 24, 2011 3:47 pm

From the Maritime Drag Racers Message Board

Miramichi Dragway Park weekend report

2011 New Brunswick High School Challenge was held this weekend and with 10 high schools competing in the challenge bringing almost 30 race cars to compete made it a great event.
Also had racer from NFLD, N.S. & P.E.I. over to do testing and putting a show on for the kids.Paul Dunster race team layed down some 7 sec passes in there dragster,Super Snake Gilles Boudreau with his 67 Cobra Mustang doing some wild burn out down the track & laying down some 8 sec passes.The Horbart brothers Chris & Cody were in running very low 8 sec passes in there dragsters also.Fitzsimmons brough the whole team with kelly's Firebird(2500hp) putting on a show Friday night that the kids will never forget.Then they brought out the cat sled team and layed down some very fast passes.Justin Hortin was there with his drag bike running over 160 mph in the quarter mile.
Saturday we qualified the high school field of cars.We ran a double knock out A & B ladder race.This made it a great race with 14 rounds of racing.At the end of the A ladder it came down to 1975 chevy caprice of central NB Academy at the top.Being in a great position the had to lose twice to the winner of the B ladder to lose.
As the B ladder went on Central NB Academy watch with the fans as the semi final round was pairing up in the lanes.Stanely High 1985 Ford Capri VS Oromocto High 1978 Camero and James M Hill 1996 Caprice Classic VS Fredericton High 1965 Buick Skylark.Up first Stanley cuts a .560 light and forces Oromocto High to breakout on a 14.50 sec dail they run a 14.47 sec.Then Fredericton High cuts a .571 light to James M Hill's .673 light causing them to breakout with a 14.00 sec dail & running a 13.77 sec run.
Final round of B ladder was Stanley High & Fredericton High.As they line up the 1985 Ford Capri 14.10 sec dail VS 1965 Buick Skylark dail in at a 15.60 sec.When the tree drop Stanley Camp are cheering Fredericton High go RED.red light give the win to Stanley High.
Know Stanley must win two rounds back to back against the 1975 Chevy Caprice of Central NB Academy.As the pull up for the first round Ford Capri 14.10 dail the Chevy Caprice 14.80 dail.Lights are green its a race at the bottom win goes to Stanley High with a 14.18 sec run.The Chevy breaks out with a 14.51 run.
Know the Stanley Camp got to do it again.The pull up to the line 351 cubic ford capri is dail in at a 14.10 sec.The 350 cubic in chevy caprice dail in at a 14.45 sec.Lights go green and Stanley a .617 on the tree VS Central NB Academy .618 light it was race to the bottom.Stanley High get the win lights as they cross the finish line with a tome of 14.28 sec and behind is Central NB Academy with a 14.85 sec run.

1ST Place Stanley High 1985 Ford Capri
2ND Central NB Academy 1975 Chevy Caprice
3RD Fredericton High 1965 Buick Skylark.

BEST REACTION

1ST HS100 Grand Manan High 1982 Ponitac Grand Prix .500 perfect light
2ND HS355 Stanley High 1972 Chevy Nova .509 light
3RD HS100 Grand Manan 1982 Ponitac grand Prix .516 light

CLOSEST TO DAIL

1ST HS12 Stanley High 1985 Ford Capri 14.10 dail ran a 14.10036
2ND HS891 Fredericton High 1965 Buick Skylark 15.80 dail ran a 15.80787
3RD HS468 Central NB Academy 1975 Chevy caprice 14.85 Dail ran a 14.86223

Closest to 14.00 Sec

1ST HS1953 Salisbury High 1986 Ponitac Gran Prix with a 14.01967 run
2ND HS102 James M Hill 1996 Chevy Caprice Classic with a 14.03457 run
3RD HS10 Grand Manan 1980 Ponitac grand Prix wit a 14.07188 run

BURNOUT CONTEST

HS1104 1988 Ford Mustang GT Campbellton High

List of all schools that competed

1.Stanley High
2.Central NB Academy High
3.Fredericton High
4.Oromocto High
5.James M Hill High
6.Campbellton High
7.Miramichi valley High
8.Sussex High
9.Salisbury High
10.Grand Manan High

Sunday's winners of the gamblers race

1ST Bob Partridge 1965 Nova Sackville NB
2ND Ray Bourque 1983 Camero Memeramcook NB.

GOLF Cart Race

Maurice St Armand Irishtown NB

Maritime Drag Racing

Postby Maritime Drag Racing » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:57 am

Well, all that lying on the wet ground with brake fluid dripping on my head is over, all the ignition components have been swapped out, some rewiring has been done and now Cape Breton Dragway Street Class #1890 starts first click every time, it runs(sort of), it steers fine and now it even stops OK. It smokes like a chimney and you can hear every lifter and every rod bearing wanting to jump out of the block but it's all we've got to race. Looks like we'll be the slowest in the class again this year(high 18s).
First Test and Tune session is on Wednesday June 22. We're going to fill it full of straight 40 weight oil and Lucas Oil treatment and see if it will quiet down and lose some smoke. Car hasn't run since the 2009 season so I've got to get some time trials in to sharpen my reflexes and find a baseline ET before that big buck race next weekend. Got to re-learn my staging procedure since I ran the truck all last year and there's a HUGE difference in front tire diameter between A VW Golf and a Chevy truck.

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”