"Z" progress.

Here's where our individual members can fill us in on their racing, car building, or other exploits.
pro70z28
Re: "Z" progress.

Postby pro70z28 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:42 am

Picked up a cooler, lines & fittings,( there wasn't room for the cooler with a fan without more involved fabricating, so I'll save that one for the "Z") trans fluid, locking trans dip stick with flexible tube, drive shaft yoke so we can measure for a drive shaft & some other misc. parts. Might have it off the stands in a few more days. I hope to get some fabricating done for the shifter & a couple other things while Jeff handles all the other stuff.

Ann E. Body lookin' for a SBC? Friend of mine was in a bind so I bought his 406 - 509 block. 2.61 angle plug Brodix heads, comp cams roller w/stud girdles, 950 pro systems carb, (Got sheets on the carb & cam). MSD box, dist., blaster 2 coil, CSI water pump, Victor Junior intake. Steel crank, not sure of the compression, but he says it runs on 92 octane so I'm guessing no more that 10.5, give or take. It has about 4,000 miles on the build, somewhere just north of 600HP he says, no dyno sheet to back that up. Sometime if I can find some time I may pull it apart & see what's inside, I bought it to help him out, so I have no immediate use for it. He said he'd buy it back if his situation improves. I don't really want to redo the "Z" for a small block at this point. Jeff may buy it from me for his caah at some point but not anytime soon. $4,500 takes it. He says there's close to 10g's in it, but :?: I haven't played with small blocks in about 30 years so I don't know how realistic that number might be. I'm sure I'll find a buyer or a use for it someday. :idea:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:57 am

Got it off the truck.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Looks great... Good luck moving it... Bill
Bill Pratt
Draglist.com - Crowdsourced drag racing history.
Headlines and Results: http://www.draglist.com/
Drag Lists: http://www.draglist.com/draglist/draglist.php

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks BP. Jeff's @ work today, but I have a couple hours this afternoon to play hooky, so I started working on the shifter for Jeff's caah.

I'm about as far as I can go, 'til Jeff gets home & can get the wires for the line lock & nitrous out of the way. :arrow: I have to make the fuel filter Jeff mounted in the trunk legal since the camaro has no firewall back there. Still have to re-drill the cross member to accept the 400th trans. mount. Might see if I can get the dip stick tube installed. The trans has a shorty stick now, meant to check by removing a floor panel, but for Jeff's caah we bought a flexible lockable unit that we can screw to the firewall. Hope to have it on the road by this time next week so we have a little time to test it before heading to the DLN's.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:13 pm

So cool... bp
Bill Pratt

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks BP.

Got the fuel filter cover put together. I left it rough finish cuz' I don't know if Jeff wants to polish it or paint it black. It's wide because to the right of the filter is an access panel to the fuel tank to get the sending unit out without dropping the tank. A little carpet trimming & fasteners & she be done.

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Picked up the drive shaft today. Got the C02 bottle filled. Picked up a trans brake button, catch can for the trans vent, New helmet since the old one got too old over the winter. Got a few quick fasteners & some other misc. stuff. Ready to do some thrashing tonight & tomorrow. Time is running short. :idea: :arrow: :shock:

23t

Postby 23t » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:27 pm

8) !!!

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Got the trans back in tonight. We had to do a little more trans tunnel massaging to get the needed clearance for the scatter shield. Got plenty now. Drive shaft is set in place just to make sure the trans output shaft is in the right place. The 6 speed tail shaft mount is located about 1.25'' lower on the housing than the 400th, so I have to fab a spacer to make up the difference. As luck would have it I have a 2''x4''x12'' bar of aluminum stock in the shop I can whack off & machine down to the right thickness. I hope to spend most of tomorrow getting the shifter & CO2 bottle mounted. I think I'm going to replace the plastic console with an aluminum unit so we can put everything where we want it.

draglist
Site Admin

Postby draglist » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:18 am

You are really making progress lately, Gary. When do you think it will roll out of the garage? bp
Bill Pratt

Return to “Super Crew Team Reports”