Off The Wall Question...

From famous pros to weekend warriors, our friendly members will help answer your tech questions.
Maso
Off The Wall Question...

Postby Maso » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Can a hot microvave light also be a laser...?and if so, Could the ingition system of an internal combustion engine be replaced and made more efficient with a microwave laser instead of spark plugs and with fibre optics for lead wires...?

Okay, so this fuel crisis is driving us all crazy, so I'm just thinking a little outside the box. What do I know, I'm no engineer. If my conjecture strikes you as naive or even stoopid... I promise to be a good sport about that.

Discussion, anyone... who knows more than me.

Maso

pro70z28

Postby pro70z28 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:24 pm

With gas prices headed in the ^^^^ direction, I don't think any ideas are too off the wall. Outside the box is how new things are discovered. Someday, somebody will come up with an idea.... and everybody else will be sayin' "Why did I think of that" :idea: :idea:
15th Annual DRAGLIST Nationals Sometime in 2020. Somewhere in the USA.

Maso

Postby Maso » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:31 pm

That's just one of my "Off The Wall" ideas... I got another one to compliment it. But let's discuss one at a time.

I'm just thinking that another angle worth considering is creating a more efficient internal combustion engine.

I can't help but think that if my so called idea had any merit... somebody smarter than me would have come up with it, but this is just to satisfy my curiocity.

slingshot383

Postby slingshot383 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Micro wave is radio frequency energy, fiber optics transmit light energy, but none of the heat. Radio waves are also slower than light waves.
1994 Undercover 23 T altered
member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Maso

Postby Maso » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Micro wave is radio frequency energy, fiber optics transmit light energy, but none of the heat. Radio waves are also slower than light waves.
I was thinking about the microwave light that we use in the kitchen to heat up food with. Could that kind of light be transmitted in laser form.
Last edited by Maso on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric David Bru

Postby Eric David Bru » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:54 am

The inefficiency of the internal combustion engine is not the way the air/fuel mixture is ignited, it is all of the waste energy (heat) a substantial amount of energy is wasted via hot exhaust or through the cooling system.

EDB
Outlaw Eric :cool:

Maso

Postby Maso » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 am

The inefficiency of the internal combustion engine is not the way the air/fuel mixture is ignited, it is all of the waste energy (heat) a substantial amount of energy is wasted via hot exhaust or through the cooling system.

EDB
No doubt about that.

Can the same hot light that is emitted though a microwave oven bulb be converted into a laser and used like a spark plug...???

slingshot383

Postby slingshot383 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:28 pm

If you're talking about the light that is on when you are using a micro wave oven, that is a standard appliance light bulb. There is also a micro wave transmitter antenna located in either the top or one side of a micro wave oven.
1994 Undercover 23 T altered
member of the Torque and Recoil Club

jim sanders

Postby jim sanders » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:55 pm

:D ignition systems are good to go (D.I.S and equivilents) these days.. great energy and no wasted motion/friction.. exact spark timing covering a very wide range of operating conditions.. I agree with E.D.B. more needs to be done capturing the lost heat(engergy) from the exhaust and cooling system....
GOOD TO GO !!
Uncle Curt Wasson album
[url=http://www.glowfoto.com/users2/gatorgumbo][img]http://www.glowfoto.com/siteimages/linktogallery.gif[/img][/url]

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:59 pm

turbo charger
www.wallybell.com

Return to “Tech Questions”